Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve in San Diego, CA

New Year's Eve in San Diego, CA

Old Nov 17, 16, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Smile New Year's Eve in San Diego, CA

Hi!

I have booked a nice BA/AA fare to SAN recently. We will be arriving on Dec 29 and returning on Jan 03.

We haven't been to San Diego before. We have four full days to spend in the area.

What do you think? Should we even think of leaving San Diego at all or are these four days easily filled with things to do in the city?

And can you suggest something nice to do an NYE? Is there a firework? We are not so much interested in party but rather in a good dinner and a nice place to wait until midnight to go to bed very soon.

Thanks for your inspirations!

Lennart
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LennartH View Post
We haven't been to San Diego before. We have four full days to spend in the area.

What do you think? Should we even think of leaving San Diego at all or are these four days easily filled with things to do in the city?
Take a look at this thread:
San Diego attractions
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Any suggestions for NYE, too?

From what I've seen, renting a car at least 1-2 days seems to be not that unuseful... Am I right?

We will probably be staying at The Westin San Diego, as I have quite a decent successful BRG claim (112 USD++) there.
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:50 pm

We've been there a number of times and always get a rental car. Looking at the list of attractions above, it's much easier to have a rental than to rely on taxi's or Uber. You can walk around/sightsee downtown, but that doesn't take very much time.

I popped your dates in Kayak and see an intermediate size car from Dollar for $160, all in. Of course you'll pay for parking at the hotel too, but it's totally worth it.

Sorry - no suggestions for NY'ers Eve. Here's a link to the San Diego Tourism Authority - https://www.sandiego.org/campaigns/w...years-eve.aspx

Have a great time!
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:33 pm

Any suggestions for NYE, too?
Sorry, I have no personal knowledge.

Here are a couple of lists of events:
KPBS - New Year's Eve Events

New Year's in San Diego
We do have a few San Diegans who are regulars on this board. I'm sure that they will contribute their suggestions shortly.
Old Nov 20, 16, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I think I'll make a rough itinerary and see how many days a car is useful. Valet at our hotel is 45 USD, so renting each day separately might be an option.

I'd really appreciate some NYE suggestions.

To be honest, I do not like NYE and we do not want to dance etc. So we just need a nice place with decent food (and maybe a nice view if there is some firework) to kill the waiting time till midnight.
Old Nov 21, 16, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
If you don't want to do any SD attractions or run out of them, LA is possible to do as a day trip. However, you'll likely burn an entire day once transportation and the things you want to do are taken into account. Considering how short your trip is, that may not be worthwhile.

For NYE the Manchester Grand Hyatt (near the convention center) has a lounge at the very top floor that may provide good views of fireworks--no hotel reservation needed. This may be extremely busy during that time though and I'm not sure that they're normally open at midnight otherwise.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:24 am

To be honest, I do not like NYE and we do not want to dance etc. So we just need a nice place with decent food (and maybe a nice view if there is some firework) to kill the waiting time till midnight.
San Diego has a plethora of good restaurants. I'm sure that most, if not all, will have special New Year's Eve menus. If you're looking for a restaurant with a spectacular view, check out Mr. A's, which overlooks the final approach to the San Diego airport and has a great view of the harbor.

Zagat rates it 4.6 (out of 5.0) for food, 4.7 for decor and 4.6 for service:
Bertrand Hug's “elegant” French-American perched on the 12th floor of an office building in Bankers Hill is a “classic” spot to take visitors or celebrate a “special occasion” thanks to the “spectacular” bay and skyline views – particularly from the outdoor terrace; the “excellent” French-inflected fare is ferried by “polished”, “attentive” staffers, and though bills are “expensive”, it's “worth it for a special day.”
Old Nov 21, 16, 10:03 am
Community Director

Island Prime has a stunning view of the San Diego skyline. Here is its New Year Eve's menu.

I'm sure there will be lots of revelers in the Gaslamp area which is walking distance from your hotel.

Uber is an alternative to renting a car. Also, you can walk to the trolley station or to Amtrak. A pleasant day's excursion is to take Amtrak to San Juan Capistrano. Walk to the Mission, one of the more interesting ones still in good condition. Have lunch at a restaurant on the road that parallels the train track. Enjoy the stunning ocean scenery both directions.
Old Nov 26, 16, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll have a closer look at them.

We'll certainly visit San Diego Zoo and the USS Midway. I guess, these days can be filled with strolling around some of SD's neighborhoods for dinner etc. Or is it necessary to plan a full day for the city itself?

One day will be dedicated to shopping. Is there any preference between the two Premium Outlets in Carlsbad and at the Mexican border? The latter can be reached by trolley, right?
Old Nov 26, 16, 2:19 pm

Is there any preference between the two Premium Outlets in Carlsbad and at the Mexican border? The latter can be reached by trolley, right?
The distance to either of them is similar to me. I've been to Carlsbad more but given a choice have started to prefer San Ysidro (the one by the border) simply because it has more parking.

Yes, the San Ysidro outlet mall can be reached by trolley. It's about a 1 mile walk from the trolley station to the outlet mall, or you can take a 906 bus (907 on the way back from the mall) if you don't want to walk it (assuming you buy a day pass ticket for the trolley, the bus ride wouldn't cost you any extra).

It's actually possible to reach Carlsbad outlets via public transit as well. Take the Coaster train to Carlsbad Poinsettia station, then bus 446 to the outlet mall. This bus service is timed for commuting though, so there's only two morning buses and two evening buses; outside those times you'd probably have to take Uber/Lyft/Taxi to get between the train and the mall. So if I were going via public transit, I'd probably go for San Ysidro.
Old Nov 26, 16, 3:06 pm

Slightly off topic.

In case that you are not aware, most of the merchandise sold in outlet malls nowadays is no longer overstock or factory seconds, but specially made or specifically bought for these stores. It is rarely of the same quality as merchandise sold in department stores or the retail stores of those high end brands.
Old Nov 28, 16, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Slightly off topic.

In case that you are not aware, most of the merchandise sold in outlet malls nowadays is no longer overstock or factory seconds, but specially made or specifically bought for these stores. It is rarely of the same quality as merchandise sold in department stores or the retail stores of those high end brands.
I am aware of that. I have noticed that especially with Levi's Jeans. The ones in European outlets seem to be of a significant better quality and comparable to them in the "normal" stores. But I'm fine with the quality of the polos and t-shirts etc. I've bought in US outlets.
Old Nov 28, 16, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Check out Mr. A's for New Years eve. It will be the best view in San Diego and a night you will never forget.

Last edited by Madone59; Nov 28, 16 at 5:27 pm Reason: Add link
Old Dec 22, 16, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

What do you think of my rough itinerary?

Friday, Dec 30
USS Midway, strolling around Coronado

Saturday, Dec 31
San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park, NYE dinner

Sunday, Jan 1
Pick up a rental car and drive to Anza-Borrego State Park

Monday, Jan 2
Day two with a car: Going north, La Jolla, Torrey Pines, Carlsbad Premium Outlets

As we have a very centrally located downtown hotel, we will have plenty of time for the Gaslamp Quarter in the evenings.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas to improve my itinerary?

Thanks!

Search this Thread