Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to travel from SFO to LAX every month or so to visit SO

Old Sep 4, 16, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

So as the title suggest, I'm moving to SF next July and I plan on flying down to LA every couple months for weekends. What's the cheapest way to do it. When I was there last summer I tried traveling via MegaBus as it was $80 but it was an incredibly long trip and took away a large portion of Friday and Sunday so my weekend was short. Whats the cheapest way to make this work? Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 5, 16, 9:36 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
So are you asking the cheapest way to fly?

Originally Posted by bballlova99 View Post
So as the title suggest, I'm moving to SF next July and I plan on flying down to LA every couple months for weekends. What's the cheapest way to do it. When I was there last summer I tried traveling via MegaBus as it was $80 but it was an incredibly long trip and took away a large portion of Friday and Sunday so my weekend was short. Whats the cheapest way to make this work? Thanks everyone.
That may depend greatly on how far in advance you can book.

In any case this is not a thread about SF itself so I will close it pending review.

Last edited by squeakr; Sep 5, 16 at 11:16 am Reason: Moving to Ca forum
Old Sep 5, 16, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Welcome to FT, bballlova99! As squeakr noted, you can save a lot by booking far in advance. The price differences can be quite stark.

You might also consider which airports you are willing to use. Do you know where in the Bay Area you will live? And where exactly does your SO live in L.A.?
Old Sep 5, 16, 12:11 pm

Look at Wanna Get Away fares on WN OAK-BUR. Or LAX.
Book in advance, I think 21 days, and the one way fare s/b between $59 and $89. Nice thing about WN is you can book in advance knowing that if your plans change they make it very easy to cancel and rebook. No refunds, but full credit to "Travel Funds" which you can apply to any future travel within a year of your BOOKING date (not departure date). The system is keyed to the cancelled flight's Confirmation Number, so keep track of those or it can be hard to find your funds.
Btw, I flew between Northern and Southern California twice a week for 5 years straight and had less than 6 IRROPS.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:49 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
NK has cheap fares to LA. They're supposedly cheaper if you pay at the counter at the airport than online.
Old Sep 6, 16, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Don't forget to consider the total costs (i.e., how you are getting to/from your airports (transit, parking, etc.) in your calculation.

WN is probably the way to go, especially when they are running their best specials. You can stock up on tickets, and if you can't travel, you just put the funds back in the bank.
Old Sep 8, 16, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I agree that Southwest (WN) is likely your best choice for flying. They offer numerous daily nonstops not just between SFO/LAX but also between various nearby airports on each end. That gives you lots of scheduling choices. In addition their flexibility in making changes on non-full-priced tickets is unmatched. That allows you to buy tix well in advance at lower prices and have confidence that the money spent won't be thrown away if you have to make changes later.

As Eastbay1k noted above, though, don't forget to consider the total costs. It's not just the cost of the ticket; it's also transit, parking, and the value of your time. I'd expand that to consider the total costs of flying versus other forms of transportation, primarily express buses and driving. If you need a car on the other end anyway, or if your start or end points are fairly far from an airport, driving may turn out to be the best bet.
Old Sep 8, 16, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Welcome to FT, bballlova99! As squeakr noted, you can save a lot by booking far in advance. The price differences can be quite stark.

You might also consider which airports you are willing to use. Do you know where in the Bay Area you will live? And where exactly does your SO live in L.A.?
Seal beach! and I'll know I'll live in SF probably near Mission District.
Old Sep 9, 16, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bballlova99 View Post
Seal beach! and I'll know I'll live in SF probably near Mission District.
That would make Long Beach and Santa Ana your ideal airports in L.A. If you are near the Mission District, BART to SFO will be a quick and reliable ride. Take a look at JetBlue's schedule and fares. They fly about 4x daily, SFO-LGB.
Old Sep 11, 16, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I occasionally get $168 r/t deals for United from SAN to SFO in my inbox (email usually comes on Mondays, with departure Friday night or Saturday of that same week and return the following Monday or Tuesday). I'd imagine you'd get similar deals in the other direction if you were to sign up for their FF program and put SFO as your home airport. You do have to be able to travel on fairly short notice though but it might be something to look into.

Of course, if you can reserve at least a month or so out it'll probably still be cheaper.
Old Sep 12, 16, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
That would make Long Beach and Santa Ana your ideal airports in L.A. If you are near the Mission District, BART to SFO will be a quick and reliable ride. Take a look at JetBlue's schedule and fares. They fly about 4x daily, SFO-LGB.
Bingo. Also, there's OAK/LGB service (more limited than SFO service) if fares get out of hand on any particular SFO flight. B6 operates from the SFO Int'l A gates, so you will have a nice terminal experience on both ends of the trip. (LGB is a beautiful small airport.)
Old Sep 12, 16, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Bingo. Also, there's OAK/LGB service (more limited than SFO service) if fares get out of hand on any particular SFO flight. B6 operates from the SFO Int'l A gates, so you will have a nice terminal experience on both ends of the trip. (LGB is a beautiful small airport.)
B6 and WN are both 4x OAK-LGB (for now), which is double the SFO-LGB service
Old Sep 12, 16, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
B6 and WN are both 4x OAK-LGB (for now), which is double the SFO-LGB service
Good to note that. If the OP is near one of the Mission BART stations, that would be about 45 minutes each way to/from OAK as compared to 30 minutes for SFO.
Old Sep 23, 16, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
JetBlue has fares as low as $48 both OAK and SFO to LGB. WN only offers flights from OAK to LGB. Of course, the big advantage of using WN is that they have no change penalties.

Search this Thread