Wiki Posts
Search

check in SAN Terminal 2 early morning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
check in SAN Terminal 2 early morning

I have had flight times changed and now have a 630am flight time to PHX conecting onto JFK. It is a Friday morning and would like to know what is a realistic time to arrive to check in for my flight.
Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:16 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Terminal 2 I presume? I'm a worry-wart so I'm always there between 4:30 and 5 for a 6:30am flight and I always find myself thinking I got there way too early.

You could probably do ok with 5:30 if you hate sitting around and waiting.

Last edited by SANspotter; Mar 21, 2016 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:23 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Another thing to keep in mind is that the airport curfew is lifted each morning at 6:30am, so there are a LOT of flights that depart in that time slot. If you don't have any baggage to check and you have a mobile boarding pass, 5:30 is still ok I think.

Otherwise, get there a little earlier.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do you have TSA Pre? Are you checking a bag?

If you have carry-on's only but no TSA I'd say 5:30 is as close as you should cut it. Add a little more time for checked bags and no Pre-check.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
I flew out of SAN yesterday (21Mar) and I don't know if is due to Spring Break travel or some TSA/Homeland alert or what, but Terminal2 was as backed up as I've ever seen it since that Terminal opened. The line to get into Security was out past the check-in counters. If you're flying this week, get there early. Better to be sitting waiting inside Security than out of it...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the replies, it is in two weeks and I am a safety first type as well so it looks like an earlier start.

A quick question, as I am staying locally can I go down in the evening before and print boarding tickets at kiosks to reduce some time in the morning @:-)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:23 pm
Suspended

There certainly won't be anyone at the counters or attending the security line to check you in before 5 AM, and it might be closer to 5:30.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PIKnic
Thanks for the replies, it is in two weeks and I am a safety first type as well so it looks like an earlier start.

A quick question, as I am staying locally can I go down in the evening before and print boarding tickets at kiosks to reduce some time in the morning @:-)
If you're staying at a hotel, some of them offer a service to print out a boarding pass. If they charge for it, it may still be less than getting to/fro the airport to print something out (not to mention, it's more efficient).
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We have the same problem as the OP, but a week later. Our flight is at 6:15 am. This is not a new problem for us. We live in Escondido. We take the shuttle or sedan to SAN.

We usually have a pick up here at 3:45-4 am. That gets us to SAN at 4:30 or so in the sedan, always a crap shoot on the van (how many other pickups).

UA, our normal carrier does not have ANY visible employees at the hour at check in. This makes it impossible to know where to line up. We are usually in business (or first) and often they do not open this service til well past coach and way after the kiosks. We have been first there and 100th served once!

We are kiosk challenged, so we need help to do that.

We have business class (points) to Ft Lauderdale thru Houston. We will call a few days before the flight to insure the proper terminal.

We often take donuts and some water, as it helps fill in the time wait and lets us sleep 10 minutes longer at home. Note left overs must be dumped, as TSA is not interested in allowing our water bottle.

Last edited by ranles; Mar 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm Reason: add time
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:20 am

How has the shutdown affected San Diego's check-in at Terminal 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.