Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Where to store luggage in San Diego?

Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLATINUM, AMEX AEROPLAN PLATINUM, AMEX SPG, AA LIFETIME GOLD, FAIRMONT PLATINUM, SPG GOLD

We arrive in San Diego on 10/21 @ 11:22am. The next day we are taking a cruise from Long Beach to Ensenada. We will be staying at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar. We were thinking of checking out Tijuana for the day and then checking into our hotel in the evening. The next morning we would make our way to Long Beach. Obviously we don't want to carry around our luggage during our visit to Tijuana.

Should we store our baggage at SAN airport and pick it up on our way to our hotel? Or is there somewhere at the San Diego Border where we can store our luggage? We are planing on drinking so we won't have a rental car to store the luggage.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just realized this should be in the California Thread. Could someone move it there or wherever it's supposed to go.

Last edited by amar_amar; Oct 15, 2015 at 9:39 pm Reason: Wrong thread
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Why not stop at the hotel on your way from the airport to Tijuana and leave your bags there?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLATINUM, AMEX AEROPLAN PLATINUM, AMEX SPG, AA LIFETIME GOLD, FAIRMONT PLATINUM, SPG GOLD
Hotel is 30 min north of San Diego. I would be wasting an hour.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
This past August, I was at the downtown San Diego Santa Fe train station with half a day to kill. I wanted to store my bags.

There was an advertisement for bag storage, I called but didn't end up using it as I took an earlier train to Los Angeles. As I recall, they are not on-site.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:45 am

Found on the google.

http://sdairportluggage.com/

Have no clue about the company. Pricing seems high. Not sure how you are getting to Long Beach, but might be easier to just rent your car, put luggage securely hidden in trunk, park in airport parking lot, take the trolley to TJ, imbibe, return via trolley (and sober up), then drive to Del Mar for your hotel stay.

Not really sure why TJ is on your agenda. Went only one time when I lived in SD in the 90s. Schlocky dollar-store type curio/gift "boutiques", dusty low income neighborhoods, and moderate to lengthy cross-border foot traffic lines.

If you are merely going to booze it up, I suppose to each his own. Unless you have visited San Diego before, it has plenty of outstanding ways to spend an afternoon. Spending an afternoon in Coronado and its spacious, un-rowdy beach would be a vacation on its own.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, my first question is why tijuana?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RobertTheTraveler
Not really sure why TJ is on your agenda. Went only one time when I lived in SD in the 90s. Schlocky dollar-store type curio/gift "boutiques", dusty low income neighborhoods, and moderate to lengthy cross-border foot traffic lines.

If you are merely going to booze it up, I suppose to each his own. Unless you have visited San Diego before, it has plenty of outstanding ways to spend an afternoon. Spending an afternoon in Coronado and its spacious, un-rowdy beach would be a vacation on its own.
Unless you just want to say "I've been to Mexico," no good reason to go there @:-)

I was there recently, and there have been some changes from even a couple of years ago (reason I go is that I can stay in a decent hotel for $35 or so plus $5 roundtrip on Trolley and grab $1 fish tacos), but pedestrian traffic can be THREE hours long depending on time of day and week And just a couple of weeks ago they actually PUT A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT on entry (ran out of pages a year before expiration last time).

And there is SO MUCH to San Diego, from Coronado Island (where you can take the passenger ferry) to Balboa Park ....

But must say, very few American tourists compared to pre 9-11, but there are cafes that opened that seem to have mostly native customers, and we're talking Starbucks expensive in Mexico.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In January, I'll be landing at SAN around 10:00, though my next flight is around 18:00. Indeed, I'm wondering where I can store my bags, because a visit to Tijuana (specifically to eat tacos) is on my mind. Actually, I'm wondering if they'd let me re-check the bag (JL to AA)...

I've been to San Diego a few times, but I'll be in no condition to drive. Then again, the queues coming back into the US from Tijuana are unpredictable (my first experience was three hours; the second, one minute).

Basically, the goal is to eat things not done well/commonly in NYC. "Mexican anything" is an obvious candidate.

Thanks,
BmB
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Then again, the queues coming back into the US from Tijuana are unpredictable (my first experience was three hours; the second, one minute).

Basically, the goal is to eat things not done well/commonly in NYC. "Mexican anything" is an obvious candidate.
Just spent the night in TJ, since hotels are so MUCH cheaper.

During the day, allow at LEAST TWO hours for pedestrian crossing Ask me how I know

IF you come back in the evening, the one and only time I've done it, yes it was shorter. Late evening. If in the afternoon, well, good luck.

Many, many places in San Diego where you can get excellent Mexican food without the pain (and stamp in passort - a new requirement) to enter Mexico.

May not be a big deal to you, but I had to get a brand new passport a year early because I ran out of pages the last time
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:56 pm

Baggage Nanny for luggage storage in San Diego

They picked up my bags at the SD airport in the morning, and then delivered them to my AirBnB later that early evening! Super nice company that let me enjoy my SD times right away from the airport

Check them out on Yelp or look them up on google. Great service.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Many, many places in San Diego where you can get excellent Mexican food without the pain
I've had better Mexican food in Mexico, actually. Granted, the places I've been to are nowhere near TJ (which I should visit one of these days having never been).

That said, there are Southern California/SD specific things that are pretty good. Such as the California burrito.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please get back on topic, that is luggage storage places in San Diego, not visiting Tijuana or Mexican food.

Please feel free to start new threads on those topics.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:41 pm

OK,

got me thinking .... lots of airlines offer "baggage delivery" these days @:-)

This is an old thread, but someone may find this useful

EDIT to add link for UA service.

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 18, 2018 at 12:05 am Reason: Add link
Old May 1, 2019, 11:55 am

Lightbulb Try Baggage Nanny!

The Airport doesn't offer baggage storage but there's a company called Baggage Nanny in Little Italy right near the airport where you can store your bags and they'll even deliver the bags to your hotel/Airbnb when you get there!
It's super convenient and they're all very nice, I recommend it!
Old May 11, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Rental cars usually have a trunk you can keep your luggage in. No time, no additional cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.