Uber faces suspension in California

Old Jul 15, 15, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Uber faces suspension in California

Uber's legal challenges continue to mount in California:
Uber should be suspended in California and fined $7.3 million, judge says

The ride-hailing giant Uber should be fined $7.3 million and suspended from operating in California because its parent company did not comply with state laws, a state administrative judge said Wednesday.

In its decision, the California Public Utilities Commission contended that Uber has not complied with state laws designed to ensure that drivers are doling out rides fairly to all passengers, regardless of where they live or who they are. The agency said Uberís months-long refusal to provide such data is in violation of the 2013 law that legalized ride-hailing firms.

Uber's license to operate in California will be suspended in 30 days, unless the company files an appeal or a CPUC commissioner requests a review. The ban will remain in effect until Uber "complies fully with the outstanding requirements," chief administrative law judge Karen V. Clopton wrote.

Those requirements include reporting how many requests for rides the company has received from people with service animals or wheelchairs; how many of those rides were completed; and other ride-logging information such as date, time and zipcode of each request, plus the fare paid.

<snip>
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

More absurdity, I presume Uber will be able to deal with this.
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:53 pm

And I think it's absurd that a company would actively ignore any laws. It's particularly troubling here, as the laws they violated were created to ensure that low-income people and the disabled aren't facing discrimination.
Old Jul 18, 15, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
And I think it's absurd that a company would actively ignore any laws. It's particularly troubling here, as the laws they violated were created to ensure that low-income people and the disabled aren't facing discrimination.
This point has me confused about why Uber is refusing to comply with these rules. Taxi services in many US cities are notorious for refusing to pick up in, or drive to, particular areas of town and to decline to stop for people hailing them from the sidewalk based on their appearance. I expect Uber to be way better in these respects because its technology largely removes human bias.
Old Jul 19, 15, 1:03 am

Doesn't seem as bad as what they have to deal with in Franve
Old Jul 19, 15, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
This point has me confused about why Uber is refusing to comply with these rules. Taxi services in many US cities are notorious for refusing to pick up in, or drive to, particular areas of town and to decline to stop for people hailing them from the sidewalk based on their appearance. I expect Uber to be way better in these respects because its technology largely removes human bias.
I'm assuming "better" isn't sufficient here and Uber for some reason felt that they shouldn't be held to a different standard than anyone else simply to make business more difficult.
Old Jul 19, 15, 7:18 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Deleted as I'm not sure what Mod meant.

Last edited by SimonB77; Jul 19, 15 at 11:02 am
Old Jul 19, 15, 10:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Please let's try to leave discussions of politics and the role of government for OMNI/PR.

Thank you,

TWA884
Old Jul 19, 15, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
Meh, I have lots of Uber drivers accept my requests and then immediately cancel - sometimes five or six drivers in a row will cancel before someone comes. I think they are probably just trying to wait for surge pricing, rather than specifically trying to avoid people from my neighborhood, since I never have this problem when surge pricing is on. But, if CPUC obtained data that showed how frequently this occurred in my (relatively low-income, minority) neighborhood, it might raise red flags. In short: Uber drivers can and do decline rides for no apparent reason, and can and do drive to places where they think they will get better riders.

"I usually cancel until I get a [ping] that [meets] my requirements ... If I'm staged at a spot I know will get me good fare I'm not moving" - uber driver in LA

On another regulatory note, a few months ago I had a Lyft driver admit that he was on probation for a federal crime (I looked his name up, it was a felony drug offense). Since then I just laugh when these companies' lobbyists talk about how strict their background checks are.
Old Jul 20, 15, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every uber driver is independent, how can the company force them to go to "bad" neighborhoods to take fares? IOW even if the government tells UBER they have to do this, how can they?

Search this Thread