Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego Must See/Do

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

San Diego Must See/Do

Hi all,
I have a day in San Diego coming up. I am keen to hear from people what the best touristy thing to do is there (I know of the Zoo and Seaworld).

Also where can I find a great seafood restaurant too.

Many thanks in advance.

Johnald
Old May 17, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look at these threads:
Old May 18, 2015, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by johnald
(I know of the Zoo and Seaworld).
Seaworld seems to have caught itself in some controversy in the last year or so, may not be for everyone. I for one would NOT go.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If it's a nice day go to Balboa Park - beautiful place & lots to do.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rubesl
If it's a nice day go to Balboa Park - beautiful place & lots to do.
+1 And walk around Coronado too!

For great seafood try the local spot Bay Park Seafood on Morena Blvd.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:53 pm

Seaport Village in downtown offers a few restaurants and is a pretty touristy
spot. Or if you enjoy Mexican food you may want to head to Old Town, have a
meal and check out the shops.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:51 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Hang out at the beach. There's plenty of beautiful coastline to explore, so you might consider driving up the 101 up to Carlsbad and stopping off and exploring anything that looks interesting. You'll pass through Del Mar, Solona Beach, Cardiff, and Encinitas along the way (each full of neat things to see).
Old May 31, 2015, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you have any interest in aviation or military stuff, the USS Midway Museum (it's an aircraft carrier) is really excellent. I've been to a bunch of museum ships and it's the best I've seen.

Also, if you like baseball at all, the Padres have a great park right downtown.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
The seafood restaurant where I have always had a wonderful meal in San Diego is Eddie V's. I know, it is a TEXAS upscale chain, but I find the food, service and ambiance to be impeccable.

As a casual/laid back town, the best of San Diego is not precisely fine dining or seafood despite being a coastal city.

San Diego is known for beer. Some breweries have very decent food (not seafood though). There are breweries/beer places all over the place (check Yelp). I am not too much of a fancy person, and I enjoy places like BLAH (Blind Lady Ale House) in Normal Heights, a little bit off the touristy areas.

For a nice day out, as mentioned above, Coronado, Balboa Park are top choices, I agree. May I add LA JOLLA downtown. There is a nice park at the beach, the seals at the children s pool, a modern art museum, and numerous restaurants and shopping. The quintessential touristy upscale San Diego restaurant is there too: George's at the Coves (there is also an Eddie V's in downtown La Jolla).

But what I really miss of San Diego when I am away is its Taco Shops. I have my favorite ones, each neighborhood has their own. But not all are a good. A safe bet might be Rubio's (a chain) and its famous fish tacos.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:33 am

This.

Originally Posted by SANspotter
Hang out at the beach. There's plenty of beautiful coastline to explore, so you might consider driving up the 101 up to Carlsbad and stopping off and exploring anything that looks interesting. You'll pass through Del Mar, Solona Beach, Cardiff, and Encinitas along the way (each full of neat things to see).
Couldn't agree more. I've lived in San Diego 15 years and let me tell you, the beaches are where it's at. Stay the hell out of downtown, there's nothing down there. If you want upscale stuff definitely check out La Jolla or Coronado. If you're looking for a college crowd check out Pacific Beach. I can't name a good sea food joint because I prefer burritos, pizza, and burgers. I ate at the Crab Catcher once in La Jolla. Yelp it.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Not sure if you're with family or alone, but last time I was in San Diego, I took a lesson on how to build a professional sand castle. If you have kids, this is a must do for sure. But as an adult, I enjoyed it immensely as well.

I cannot recommend these folks highly enough. It was probably one of the best days I've had in a long time.

http://www.sandiegosand.com/
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all!

Hi Everyone,
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to suggest places to see and do.
I am back and had a great time in SD and took many of your suggestions on board. Great fun!

best wishes,
Johnald

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.