Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Musken
I am very happy about your answers. Thanks a lot. Would have meant lots of planning, reading and googling to find these places without you!

I have many tips now for day 1 and day 2. Any ideas for day 3 (Santa Barbara to LA)??
Nothing in LA worth seeing. Sorry.

I suppose a stop in Malibu would be interesting (too close to my old home to evaluate fairly). I'd be tempted to cut off the coast and head back through the Canyons (including Topanga) and end up in San Fernando Valley...before dropping down into Hollywood and Los Angeles. Not the most direct route, but I'm not much for beaches, vis-a-vis mountains, valleys, canyons and wildcats.

Someone suggested Solvang. This might be a worthy suggestion for some visitors, but if our visitor is from Germany, the appeal of a kitchy, fake Denmark - even if sincerely presented - might be...different.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:32 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Nothing in LA worth seeing. Sorry.

I suppose a stop in Malibu would be interesting (too close to my old home to evaluate fairly). I'd be tempted to cut off the coast and head back through the Canyons (including Topanga) and end up in San Fernando Valley...before dropping down into Hollywood and Los Angeles. Not the most direct route, but I'm not much for beaches, vis-a-vis mountains, valleys, canyons and wildcats.

Someone suggested Solvang. This might be a worthy suggestion for some visitors, but if our visitor is from Germany, the appeal of a kitchy, fake Denmark - even if sincerely presented - might be...different.
Nothing worth seeing in LA!! I guess it depends where you are coming from as well. I am sure it will be quite an experience for us compared to back home.

It might be a good idea to do what you say, i.e. visit Malibu and thereafter go inland instead of the coast, especially since we will be staying in Santa Monica anyway by the end of our trip. However, after LA, we will go via Palm Springs, Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon to Vegas - and then Santa Monica in the end, so we will se plenty of desert and mountains, canyons etc. anyway, so not really sure. Is the Topanga/San Fernando route very different from what we will see later on?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:34 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Need
Even though it is not on HWY 1, I would visit Solvang too if you have time.
Thanks. Might be fun if we have time, but given that we live in Germany and that I come from Norway, I am not sure if this will be a priority.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Nothing worth seeing in LA!! I guess it depends where you are coming from as well. I am sure it will be quite an experience for us compared to back home.
I was only joking about "nothing in Los Angeles". It was interesting to see how many things people suggested for your first day...but nothing for your last day.

You'll see canyons/mountains on the Sedona leg, the rest, not so much. The coastal range in California is pretty nice - probably the only greenery you'll see the whole trip! I'm joking again, a little. Though there will be lots of water and sand, both beach sand and desert sand. For me, 350 miles/550km. of beach and water would be enough; I would be ready for green. It's a world apart from the urban sprawl of Los Angeles, yet just a short distance. And it would get you through Hollywood.

I should note that, for some strange reason I find that I have suggested two places - Santa Cruz and Topanga Canyon - both with "hippie" communities. No particular reason for that...aside from, I suppose, my youth, growing up in Berkeley in the 1960s and 1970s.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Sedona - make sure you do the Pink Jeep tour. Also, the desert botanical gardens in Scottsdale.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Central Coast Hwy 1 Suggestions

This website has a lot of useful info and suggestions.

http://www.centralcoast-tourism.com

Prepare yourself for a wonderful experience. But also for a lot of time in the car.

Nepenthe's Restaurant in Big Sur is right on Hwy 1 and has fantastic views as well as good food. If you have more time, Post Ranch Inn is a great place for lunch, absolutely top notch service and food.

Time permitting, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Hearst Castle and the Channel Islands are all must-sees.

Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a great place for breakfast in Big Sur.

Paso Robles has top notch restaurants and wine experiences.

San Luis Obispo is a great university town, Novos is a restaurant we like downtown.

Do not miss having dinner at BOUCHON on Victoria St. in Santa Barbara. Excellent.

Enjoy the roadtrip!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Member

If I had to choose, of the three, I would probably stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Great redwoods, hike to a nice waterfall, and you can drive well into the park.

You will come to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park a little further south along Rt. 1, and you might want to stop there very quickly, if only to see the waterfall there which falls into the Pacific Ocean (only major waterfall in CA spilling into the ocean). There might not be much waterflow if there has not been much rain, though.

Thank you so much. We will definitely make a stop at one of the redwood parks and go for a walk. Any of those mentioned you would recommend over the others taking into consideration that we will only make a stop for an hour or so? (nice shorter walks, easy accessible, extra impressive trees or views to see etc?)

Nepenthe restaurant/gift shop looks like it is well worth a stop for coffee or breakfast and a great view!

Artichoke hearts on the wharf sounds delicious as well. I love artichokes but have never eaten them like this I think.

The restaurant Ventana Grill at Pismo Beach looks very good as well and we will certainly stop there for lunch on the 2nd day.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Please ignore all the above suggestions.
The truth is the Central Coast is an awful place.
The weather is terrible.
The views are overrated.
The roads and food are all poor.
And there are BEARS.
LOTS and LOTS of bears.
And the bears throw POISONOUS SNAKES at people.
Do YOU want to be bitten by bears and snakes?
Just stay away.
It's better for all of us that way.
Thanks.

p.s. Three days is plenty of time for this trip, more than most people allow, and you should have a lovely time.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just north of LAX is Venice Beach, a very unique place to spend an hour or two walking up and down the "boardwalk" and watching the very eclectic world roll by. A little further south is Santa Monica, another great stroll.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Take a restroom break at the Madonna Inn in SLO to check out their urinal.... don't Google it, it will ruin the surprise.

Hearst Castle, without a doubt. I would go as far as making reservations to make sure you get the time slot that fits your timeline.

If you want to take a slight detour onto the 101 near LA, visit Camarillo Premium Outlets to scratch your shopping itch (though I think Cabazon in Palm Springs is better).

I hope you're getting a convertible!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I guess we should ask what time of year you will be making this trip. It might impact some of the suggestions.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rubesl
Sedona - make sure you do the Pink Jeep tour. Also, the desert botanical gardens in Scottsdale.
Thanks. Will do. Both look super!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:48 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CaliforniasCentralCoast
This website has a lot of useful info and suggestions.

http://www.centralcoast-tourism.com

Prepare yourself for a wonderful experience. But also for a lot of time in the car.

Nepenthe's Restaurant in Big Sur is right on Hwy 1 and has fantastic views as well as good food. If you have more time, Post Ranch Inn is a great place for lunch, absolutely top notch service and food.

Time permitting, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Hearst Castle and the Channel Islands are all must-sees.

Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a great place for breakfast in Big Sur.

Paso Robles has top notch restaurants and wine experiences.

San Luis Obispo is a great university town, Novos is a restaurant we like downtown.

Do not miss having dinner at BOUCHON on Victoria St. in Santa Barbara. Excellent.

Enjoy the roadtrip!
Thanks for link and suggestions. I do understand why people can spend weeks just doing this trip now - so many places to visit, so many restaurants etc.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:49 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Djlawman
If I had to choose, of the three, I would probably stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Great redwoods, hike to a nice waterfall, and you can drive well into the park.

You will come to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park a little further south along Rt. 1, and you might want to stop there very quickly, if only to see the waterfall there which falls into the Pacific Ocean (only major waterfall in CA spilling into the ocean). There might not be much waterflow if there has not been much rain, though.
Great! Will do!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:50 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Please ignore all the above suggestions.
The truth is the Central Coast is an awful place.
The weather is terrible.
The views are overrated.
The roads and food are all poor.
And there are BEARS.
LOTS and LOTS of bears.
And the bears throw POISONOUS SNAKES at people.
Do YOU want to be bitten by bears and snakes?
Just stay away.
It's better for all of us that way.
Thanks.

p.s. Three days is plenty of time for this trip, more than most people allow, and you should have a lovely time.
I am starting to get the odd humor of some of the locals by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.