FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I know the road also gives up into northern CA, merges with 101, straddles the OR coast and beaches, and eventually heads towards the WA peninsula near Seattle. Do you by any chance have any scenic and/or lodging recommendations for anyone who might also be interested in these areas?
In terms of stops...

as Doc said Mendocino is the option for anight stay driving up from SF

next place to stop along the coast would be Eureka, day in the redwoods area, then night in Crescent City or rookings, OR. Southern Oregon coast to Bandon or Coos Bay, then drive up to Cannon Beach/Seaside, tehn drive up to Forks, WA, explore the coast and Olympic NP, then night in Port angeles, then return to Seattle.

Mendocino--bed and breakfast
Ft Bragg (10 miles to the north) --small motels
Eureka/Crescent city--they have smal motels and some chains (choice, BW, etc)
Bandon/Coos Bay--Bandon is more B&B while Cos Bay has more chains
Cannon Beach/Seaside--Cannon Beach is B&B or rental properties while Seaside has chains
forks--small motels and some B&Bs.

Port Angeles--small motels and some chains.

chains are generally Choice, Best Western and low level Wyndam (Days Inn)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In terms of traveling down to LA....when are you traveling--what month?

If you drive down the coast...

1 night in Monterey
1 night in San Luis Obispo
2 nights in Santa barabar

reason 2 nights...depending on when you are traveling from Santa barbara you can do whale watching/sea life watching trips either a half day or full day. some trips take you also over to Channel Islands where you can explore for the day.

If you are going in May-July...look at also doing Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks if your time allows it.

yosemite is about a 3 hr drive from San Jose/Oakland. you can do the park in 2 days and then do Sequpoia/Kings Canyon in one day and then drive 3 hrs back to the coast.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Our plans are firming up and wanted some additional input. Due to award flight availability and timing, we changed our plans to start in San Diego and end in SF instead. We have our SD and LA plans set and are now working on the PCH piece. Planning to leave Santa Monica on a Sunday and arrive in SF on Tuesday. Looking to stay over 2 nights along the way. Pretty much set on spending 1 night in Big Sur Lodge. Where to stop on Sunday night to kick off our drive up the coast? Is SB too far south to make it work? We plan to stop frequently and want to reach Big Sur Lodge well before sunset. Would love an award night stop on Sunday. Have Hilton, Hyatt and SPG points available. Your input is much appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Pretty much set on spending 1 night in Big Sur Lodge. Where to stop on Sunday night to kick off our drive up the coast? Is SB too far south to make it work? We plan to stop frequently and want to reach Big Sur Lodge well before sunset.
If you're planning to make a bunch of quick stops for roadside sightseeing with a picnic lunch thrown in midday, you'll be fine. If you're planning to spend significant time at some of the stops, you'll want to shorten the driving.

For example, are you going to take a tour at San Simeon? Are you going to walk some of the waterfalls trails at places like Limekiln State Park and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park? If you're planning activities like these you might want to plan your stay further north than Santa Barbara. San Luis Obispo ("SLO") is a charming college town about 90 minutes north up Highway 1 and is where I often stay when I'm doing a Central Coast drive.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
If you're planning to make a bunch of quick stops for roadside sightseeing with a picnic lunch thrown in midday, you'll be fine. If you're planning to spend significant time at some of the stops, you'll want to shorten the driving.

For example, are you going to take a tour at San Simeon? Are you going to walk some of the waterfalls trails at places like Limekiln State Park and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park? If you're planning activities like these you might want to plan your stay further north than Santa Barbara. San Luis Obispo ("SLO") is a charming college town about 90 minutes north up Highway 1 and is where I often stay when I'm doing a Central Coast drive.
That is helpful, thanks. I think we'd prefer to take our time. There are a few Hiltons in SLO area that may work for us. Not a great points value but I've been stocking up for a while and want to make this trip as "free" as possible. We could spend the afternoon in SB on Sunday then stay over in SLO Sunday night. That would give us all day Monday to drive from SLO to Big Sur Lodge and explore the stops along the way plus more time Tuesday morning before heading to Monterey for the day and dinner. Then on to SF for a few nights.

Phew! 9 nights, 5 hotels, 600 miles. Good thing we travel light and don't mind living out of our suitcases!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Frankly, the Embassy Suites is the only Hilton property right in SLO that is worth the points and it is a 20 minute or more drive from the actual coast. If I were doing this, I'd use it or the HGI just down the road at Pismo Beach. On the way north, those will be the last HH properties along the coast until you get to Monterey/Carmel.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:26 pm

Our plans are firming up and wanted some additional input. Due to award flight availability and timing, we changed our plans to start in San Diego and end in SF instead. We have our SD and LA plans set and are now working on the PCH piece. Planning to leave Santa Monica on a Sunday and arrive in SF on Tuesday. Looking to stay over 2 nights along the way. Pretty much set on spending 1 night in Big Sur Lodge. Where to stop on Sunday night to kick off our drive up the coast? Is SB too far south to make it work? We plan to stop frequently and want to reach Big Sur Lodge well before sunset. Would love an award night stop on Sunday. Have Hilton, Hyatt and SPG points available. Your input is much appreciated.
If you are planning on starting up on Sunday and get in Tuesday night n San Fran this tme amount is good.

I'm guessing you are thinking of doing big sur on Monday night.

I'd suggest look at San luis Obispo or Santa Maria for Sunday night.

Saying snday in Santa Barbara wil make this drve a rush. What I would instead look nto s moving your Saturday night say to Santa Barbara.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
That is helpful, thanks. I think we'd prefer to take our time. There are a few Hiltons in SLO area that may work for us. Not a great points value but I've been stocking up for a while and want to make this trip as "free" as possible. We could spend the afternoon in SB on Sunday then stay over in SLO Sunday night. That would give us all day Monday to drive from SLO to Big Sur Lodge and explore the stops along the way plus more time Tuesday morning before heading to Monterey for the day and dinner. Then on to SF for a few nights.

Phew! 9 nights, 5 hotels, 600 miles. Good thing we travel light and don't mind living out of our suitcases!
Leave Santa Monica early sunday to beat the traffic. You can spend all good portion of the day in SB and still make the drive to Central Coast.

I highly suggest Pismo Beach instead of SLO as the place to stop for the night but if you need to use points, then it is where ever it is available.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
Leave Santa Monica early sunday to beat the traffic. You can spend all good portion of the day in SB and still make the drive to Central Coast.

I highly suggest Pismo Beach instead of SLO as the place to stop for the night but if you need to use points, then it is where ever it is available.
Any suggestions for a Pismo Beach hotel? No motels please.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:41 pm

As indicated above, the only place in Pismo that you can use your Hilton points is the Hilton Garden Inn.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:13 am

I've reconsidered using points for such an inexpensive room. Too wasteful, even for lowly HH points. So, if you have a suggestion for a non motel in pismo beach, please share, thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:42 am

I've reconsidered using points for such an inexpensive room. Too wasteful, even for lowly HH points. So, if you have a suggestion for a non motel in pismo beach, please share, thanks!
I don't have specifics for non-HH properties other than something like the Comfort or Quality Inns, which many might consider "motels."

In your case, you might want to drive a few more minutes past Pismo to Avila Beach for the unique and very nice Inn at Avila Beach, which I can recommend. Not cheap but worth it.

http://www.hotelsavilabeach.com/
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
This is where I usually stay: http://www.cottage-inn.com/

It is right off the ocean but maybe too "motel" for you but pretty much all the accommodations in Pismo are similar.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:24 pm

Thanks abmj-jr and bzcat for the recommendations. I'll check them out.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:24 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Highway 1 from SF to LA

Hi,

We are planning to drive highway 1 from SF to LA this summer as part of a bigger trip. We will stay over night in Carmel and in Santa Barbara on our way (booked already), meaning we have three full days to explore the coast (we have several days in SF and in LA before and after this trip):
- Day 1: SF to Carmel
- Day 2: Carmel to Santa Barbara
- Day 3: Santa Barbara to LA

I realise that many people spend weeks taking this trip and I do understand why as there are so many beautiful and interesting places to see on the way.

However, we only have three days, and I would like to hear your recommendations for your favourite must stops on the way. Wether this is a great restaurant, a walk, an ice cream or coffee place, a city/village, a house, a large tree or a viewpoint does not really matter. Just give me your personal highlights!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.