FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 1:58 pm

How many nights total are you taking? We drove the coast route (101 and 1) the opposite direction on our honeymoon, in June a few years ago. We stayed in Santa Barbara the first night (Santa Barbara Inn; upscale but we had a discount coupon), San Luis Obispo the next (Madonna Inn; frankly, a little disappointing for the cost and its distance from the coast; but be sure to stop and eat and see the rest rooms, however); Big Sur Inn the next; then the Super 8 in Monterey (there weren't many vacancies). Next day headed to the Sacramento area. We drove the 17 Mile Drive and saw the Monterey aquarium and still felt we had plenty of time. You don't HAVE to spend 2 nights around Carmel to see what you plan on seeing. Monterey is not cheap and Carmel even pricier. And June is peak season, so it's best to book early. Where to stop further south depends on your schedule: how many days, and where you plan to stop (e.g. Hearst Castle).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
During our recent trip to N. Calif., we stayed at the InterContinental The Clement Monterey, which is well located for our visit in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area. I have made a simple report in the InterContinental/Priority Club forum in Miles & Points.

While in the Pebble Beach Lodge for tea one afternoon, we struck up a conversation with another family who was staying at the Lodge. They suggested we go to lunch at the Post Ranch Inn, in Big Sur, for lunch. Not only we enjoyed the lunch but also the grounds. The organic architecture of the "huts and houses" are definitely a place to indulge if budget is of no cencern. It doesn't allow any children for stay.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also strongly recommend Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn for lunch. Prices are quite reasonable for the quality of food (15-30 per entree) and the scenic view. Also has an unbelievable wine list. The grounds at PRI are beautiful and it is a good chance to get a taste of the place without the astronomical room tariff.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Hi LCG - from a local's point of view, as far as staying in Monterey a lot depends on what type of places you enjoy. +1 The Monterey Plaza is very nice and walking distance to the tourist areas in Monterey (Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf). Great spa there too. There is also the relatively new (~ 1 Yr Old) Clement Monterey which is an Intercontinental hotel. The Hyatt Regency Monterey and Hilton Garden Inn are fine - nothing spectacular. Here is Ric's review of the Hyatt Regency in MRY (the Loyalty Traveler blog) http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...y-photo-album/

Over in Carmel, I agree that the Highlands Inn (a Hyatt) is stunning. Great restaurants too (I think both restaurants are on restaurant.com for a discount). The La Playa is old time Carmel in the middle of town. And of course if you are into golf, you've got Pebble Beach & Spanish Bay.
!
Another vote for the Restaurant at Highlands Inn, called the Pacific's Edge. Amazing view of the Coast, make a reservation an hour before sunset.

For the Central Coast I recommend the Dolphin Bay Inn in Pismo Beach, La Fonda Hotel in Avila Beach, and a Hot Spring Break at Sycamore Springs. (Avila Beach)
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ventana Inn is a stunning experience. Wonderful food and service and a beautiful setting. Riding back from your message in a golf cart then relaxing on your balcony with a drink is hard to beat. As is champagne and huevos rancheros on the outside deck for breakfast with a view down the coast. Hmm, we need to go back.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Stops/Hotel recommendations for PCH trip

I need help please! Just started planning a California coast road trip. Me, my 11 year old daughter and 72 year old mother. Mom has never been to CA and I have not been outside of LA area so no worries about btdt. We'll be spending 2-3 nights in SF then heading south to eventually wind up in SD. Based on my research I think we'd like to spend 1 night in Monterey, 1-2 in Big Sur area, 1-2 in Santa Monica or LA then on to SD to meet up with family and spend some time there. With the exception of SF and SD, we are flexible on the other stops and very open to suggestions.

I have been trying to narrow down the hotel choices for our overnights and am on information overload. I have a nice amount of points in SPG, HH, Hyatt and Marriott so we're hoping to make this a reward trip and keep the cash payouts to a minimum. That being said, I want to make the most of the points. I know we won't get the value out of them that we would get in Europe or Asia but I'd love to find some "nice for the price" deals.

Any suggestions to change our planned stopovers? Any recommendations for good hotels that you felt were worth the points?

TIA for your help!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Some personal opinions, having done the trip a number of times.

Monterey/Carmel.
There are no SPG properties. There are 2 Hyatts. One is between the freeway and a golf course. If you get a golf course view room, it can be quite nice, but otherwise it does not get great reviews. The other is the famous Highlands Inn south of Carmel. It is in a spectacular setting and has some very nice rooms. The Marriott is decent, a standard 10-story hotel in downtown Monterey. Nothing special but OK. There are two HH properties - Embassy Suites in Seaside - bad location and inconvenient - and a HGI in Monterey, just off the freeway. A little nicer than the average HGI.

Lots of great scenery, good restaurants. Worth at least 1 if not 2 nights.

Big Sur
There are no properties where you can use points. Most of the places are either very rustic or super expensive. Unless you are planning to do quite a bit of walking or hiking, I think one night is definitely sufficient to see the truly amazing scenery.

You left out Hearst Castle. Personally, I agree with that, but the majority of people I know think it is worth a visit. I also, think Santa Barbara is worth one night, and my favorite hotel there is Fess Parker's Doubletree (HH). Although small, the zoo is impressive for a small city.

I'm sure you will get lots of other ideas, as this is a very well-traveled and popular area. The road in the Big Sur area is very windy and on the edge of some amazing cliffs, but some people do not enjoy driving the road. If you take your time, it is very safe.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:06 pm

JerryFF - Thanks so much for the info. We'll decide about Hearst Castle based on time of day and level of enthusiasm when we hit that area. I'd love to see it but my Mom and daughter always choose a beach break over a historical or architectural stop! I usually get outvoted.

Thanks for the info on Big Sur especially. I caught the photography bug a few years ago and really want to take some time there at sunset so was thinking we'd stay over at least 1 night to avoid driving that road after dark.
I was looking at River Inn in Big Sur as our only paid stay of the trip since the $1K+/night rates at the more expensive places are off the table.

I'll have to look at that Doubletree. Thanks again!!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
To amplify what JerryFF wrote: The Central Coast area is very rugged and remote. Once you leave Monterey you'll see little in the way of restaurants, gas stations, stores, or motels until you reach Cambria and other small towns just north of San Luis Obispo. Unless you care to choose between the small number of "rustic or super expensive" accommodations (note: it's not either/or, you can have both!) you should plan to do this stretch in a single day.

Most of the activities available in this area to be nature related. There are several parks along Highway 1 that are worth visiting. They feature coastal cliff walks, scrambles down to natural beaches, waterfall views, and significant ascents if you want them. As a photographer you will kick yourself if you don't stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (not to be confused with Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park a bit north). And don't just look for "Park Entrance" signs-- stop in various pull-outs on the southbound side of the road to appreciate the stark majesty of the Central Coast.

As for Hearst Castle, I'm generally not an organized tour kind of person. And my primary attitude towards Hearst Castle is, "Hey, look! A ridiculously wealthy person built a palace atop a mountain and decorated it as a tribute to himself." But that said, I did visit for 1/2 day recently and found it worthwhile. The upstairs tour was especially interesting. Consider reserving tickets in advance so your mom and daughter don't have to wait around for 3 hours for the next opening while whining about how they'd rather be at the beach.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
As far as I know, the only HH property between Monterey/Carmel and Santa Barbara is the Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo. Not too bad, decent location among several restaurants but a 15+ minute drive to beach-side locations in Morro Bay or Avila Beach.

The southern part of Monterey/Carmel is only a bit over an hour drive to Big Sur so I have always just stayed there and driven to shoot photos instead of paying the exorbitant rates up in the mountains. For photography, you will not want to pass up Point Lobos State Park just south of Carmel - literally just a few minutes drive. Some of the views there rival the more famous 17-Mile Drive and Big Sur. I have a 16x20 sunset I took there a couple of years ago hanging in my living room. :-) You might also want to visit the Carmel Mission.

Just south of Big Sur, as you drop back down to the sea, is the Ragged Point Inn, which I like better than what is up above in Big Sur. A bit pricey but the restaurant is good and the views are world class.

Speaking again as a photographer, I have to say you would be really missing out if you don't plan some time in morning or late-afternoon light in downtown Santa Barbara. Really beautiful, old-style architecture that makes for winning images.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Nov 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:59 pm

Very helpful info. The trip is very much a work in progress and I really appreciate all of the input. As to the photography - if only the whole day could be that golden early morning and late afternoon light!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:27 am

I think it is worth a side trip to visit Solvang if you are driving down the coast.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
As already mentioned, Big Sur area probably lacks suitable accommodation for your mother and young daughter. You can consider camping... but it is otherwise a place people pass through on the way between Monterey and Central Coast. But overall, you have the right idea... PCH from Bay Area to LA is one of the most scenic drive in the US.

I suggest staying 1 night at Monterey, and 1 night at Pismo Beach. This will break up your drive into managable segments and you won't need to rush to "get there". You can take as much time at each scenic lookout as you want, taking photos. And your daughter will probably enjoy the California Seal sanctuary near San Simeon... hundreds of seals on the beach getting some sun. They are a stinky bunch though...

In the Central Coast, Hearst Castle is a major tourist draw. I'm of the opinion that you should visit if it is your first time in the region. It's like visit Versailles (the region) and not going to see the palace.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:26 pm

I know the road also gives up into northern CA, merges with 101, straddles the OR coast and beaches, and eventually heads towards the WA peninsula near Seattle. Do you by any chance have any scenic and/or lodging recommendations for anyone who might also be interested in these areas?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I know the road also gives up into northern CA, merges with 101, straddles the OR coast and beaches, and eventually heads towards the WA peninsula near Seattle. Do you by any chance have any scenic and/or lodging recommendations for anyone who might also be interested in these areas?
Spend day in Mendocino, a charming little town with lots of B&Bs and nice restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.