Caltrans road conditions:
Big Sur visitors information on businesses and services currently open:
Print Wikipost

Pacific Coast Highway - CA Route 1 between SF & LA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have decided now to postpone my Ca-Hwy 1 drive for another year. I am semi-retired and have plenty of time to come back another time to do the drive when the problems are sorted out.

I'm off now to the Pacific Northwest forum, as referenced.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:46 pm

With the closure, which way is best to still see some of the scenery? South from Monterrey and turn around or north from Cambria?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I suppose you could do both but if you have to choose one or the other, I'd say the part from Monterey to where the bridge is out would be more scenic. That is only about 25 miles so even allowing for stops here and there it should only take a couple of hours to get back to Monterey. Along that portion of the highway and if time allows, I highly recommend a stop to visit the Point Lobos State Reserve. Get out of the car and walk for some of the finest scenery on the coast.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I agree with abmj-jr's Point Lobos suggestion. It's a state reserve with extensive roads, and trails suitable for all ability levels, on a tiny peninsula that juts out a bit for views up and down the coast. Also, I think there's so much more to see and do in Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Salinas area than there is down in San Simeon and Cambria.

I hosted my second Monterey DO in 2014 and Point Lobos was our Sunday group activity. It was a beautiful fall blue sky day and everyone enjoyed it. Unfortunately, while there, one of our members learned a parent had passed away, so I didn't post any photos from that day in the DO thread. But here's the reserve's website trail map. http://www.pointlobos.org/general-info/maps
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In the Los Angeles Times:
After summer's wildfire and winter's heavy rains, five coastal parks in the Big Sur area remain closed indefinitely

<snip>

Some parks are closed indefinitely because of the fire, flooding or both.

Andrew Molera, Limekiln, Pfeiffer Big Sur and Julia Pfeiffer Burns state parks as well as Pfeiffer Beach are closed indefinitely, a parks website says.

Point Sur State Historic Park & Lighthouse has suspended tours of the lighthouse until further notice because of road closures on Highway 1, the website says.

Garrapata State Park about 18 miles north of Big Sur closed lands east of Highway 1 in summer; parts of the park on the west side are open. The park suffered a “high-intensity burn” from the fire and was slated to reopen this spring, a park news release says.

<snip>
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
We did the drive from monterrey till the closed road. Well worth it... and I had the feeling we saw enough of it in that stretch.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:51 am
Suspended

Los Angeles Times reporting new bridge may be open in September. Can't paste a link from the phone.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Los Angeles Times reporting new bridge may be open in September. Can't paste a link from the phone.
I linked and quoted that article two days ago in the following thread:
TWA884
California moderator
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
I linked and quoted that article two days ago in the following thread:
TWA884
California moderator
Missed that one! Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Here is the Monterey County visitors bureau's Big Sur updates page with a list of what's open, links, and a map. I will add it to the wiki.

SeeMonterey.com's Travel Updates page

Printable PDF

Last edited by boxo; Sep 9, 2017 at 3:32 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Interesting SF Chronicle article on the steep trail (footpath) that now connects North and South Big Sur (temporarily substituting for the broken bridge connection):

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...photo-13640225
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:30 pm

Highway 1 Reopens:

There’s never been a better time to visit the iconic roadway that snakes along the Big Sur coastline

California’s Highway 1 has officially reopened and motorists can now drive from Monterey in the north to San Luis Obispo in the south for the first time in 18 months.

<snip>

For inspiration and information about driving this historic stretch, check out our Road Trip itinerary and listen to the first episode of the California Now Podcast. You can also find a collection of things to do and places to say in our Spotlight: Big Sur.

<snip>
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just in time! Was thinking of making this drive sometime in August!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just drove the newly re-opened section northbound and it is back to normal with only one short one lane/controlled stretch that caused no significant delay. Driving over the landslide section really gave me a sense of the power of Mother Nature. The tourists are totally back, expect all the usual traffic and the zillion campers. What a great highway!
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just drove the newly re-opened section northbound and it is back to normal with only one short one lane/controlled stretch that caused no significant delay. Driving over the landslide section really gave me a sense of the power of Mother Nature. The tourists are totally back, expect all the usual traffic and the zillion campers. What a great highway!
Really good to hear! Thanks for the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.