Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

San Diego attractions

San Diego attractions

Old May 20, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Note that the cost of the day pass will be $2 more than list price because you have to buy the card the pass comes on. On the bus they will charge you $2 more (so $7 for a day pass) and issue you a paper pass.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA IK
San Diego attractions

Appreciate feedback and other suggestions on my initial list of attractions found below. We like to walk and will have five days to visit. Intested in art, history, gardens, and photography.

Should we devote one full day to Balboa Park or two half days?
Would the Old Town Trolley Tour provide a good first day city overview?
Would the Midway, Seaport Village and a harbor cruise take a half day?

VERY INTERESTED
BALBOA PARK
SAN DIEGO NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM
SAN DIEGO HISTORY CENTER
SAN DIEGO MUSEUM OF MAN
TIMKEN MUSEUM OF ART
SAN DIEGO ZOO
JAPANESE AMERICAN FRIENDSHIP GARDEN
MARSTON HOUSE
ALCAZAR GARDEN
PALM CANYON
SEA WORLD
MIDWAY AIRCRAFT CARRIER
FLAGSHIP HARBOR CRUISE
TORRAY PINES NATURE RESERVE
PETCO PARK: PADRES BASEBALL GAME

SOMEWHAT INTERESTED
GASLIGHT DISTRICT WALKING TOUR & NIGHTLIFE
LITTLE ITALY MERCATO - SATURDAY MORNING MARKET
CORONADO: HOTEL DEL CORONADO
OLD TOWN TROLLEY TOUR OF SAN DIEGO
SEAPORT VILLAGE
SAN DIEGO WILD ANIMAL PARK

POSSIBLY INTERESTED
SPANISH MISSIONS:SAN DIEGO DE ALCALA
BIRCH AQUARIUM
MISSION BEACH
BELMONT PARK
LA JOLLA COVE
TIJUANA, MEXCIO
Old May 26, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Definitely recommend making time for a game at PETCO Park. My favorite park in MLB.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Sembach
Appreciate feedback and other suggestions on my initial list of attractions found below. We like to walk and will have five days to visit. Intested in art, history, gardens, and photography.

CORONADO: HOTEL DEL CORONADO

TIJUANA, MEXCIO
Since you mention photography, IIRC there's a nice little photography museum in Balboa Park.

Balboa Park is quite wonderful, though they are working on the bridge right now, but the rest is quite nice for taking photographs.

Tijuana is very easy to get to by Trolley, but there's not much there there if you're not into cheap drinking, and even that is not what it used to be. If you've never been to Mexico and want to go just to say you've been, then go, but know it ain't the real Mexico

They do have some museums, and Zona Rio is OK, but San Diego is nicer. And you can pick up inexpensive tequila

Can't get enough of Coronado Island, and Hotel del Coronado is a nice place to spend some time and grab a drink or snack ^

Didn't see Point Loma on your list, that's another of my favorites.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The Midway can easily take a half day depending on how much you wander and want to see. MANY great photo ops from the flight deck!
Old May 29, 2014, 1:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
You left off the Maritime Museum - which is often overlooked but an incredible value and very interesting - plus they have a pilot boat harbor tour as a part of the admission that would more than cover your harbor cruise needs. The submarine is especially interesting as are the tall ships. Plus the views are great. You could do a few hours there and then head down the street to the Midway culminating with dinner at The Headquarters.

You also left off a place I always take out of town guests - the Cabrillo National Monument. Spectacular views, the best tide pools in San Diego and a great trail walk. A small but very good museum on the journey of Cabrillo and some interesting films especially on whale migration. Plus the old light house and adjoining building with a working lighthouse lamp. ABSOLUTELY worthwhile.

Seaport Village is a bit touristy and you could miss it. On the other hand, the new Headquarters District (repurposed Police Headquarters) which is adjacent has some excellent shops and even better food. Puesto is wonderful and very different than many of the other "Mexican" restaurants in the area. Don't miss the old jail and line up wall (great photo op).

I would not miss Torrey Pines State Beach and Park, especially in the early morning for a hike in the Park. While you are there, the Torrey Pines Glider Port is only a few minutes away and fascinating to see the para sailers jump off the cliff and fly around. Adjacent is the Salk Institute and Louis Kahn's fabulous buildings and court yard.

Balboa Park could take two or three days if you want to see every museum and garden. You need at least a half day, maybe a whole one. The Prado restaurant is great, especially for lunch (sit outside on the covered patio).

Don't know if I should say this, but despite the controversy, I do like Sea World. I liked it better before all the amusement rides - but still find the grounds to be very interesting (actually took a tour of the flora/plants) and the ability to see/touch rays, sea stars and interact with marine life (Penguins!) - other than the shows.

The Midway could easily take a half day by itself- very well done and very interesting.

I also love Coronado and find the Del worth seeing. I live in North San Diego and we drive to the Del, pay the ridiculous parking fee and use their beach which is the best groomed beach in San Diego.

If you like to walk, the Sea Wall at Tamarack (Carlsbad) is a great walk. We start at the sound end, walk to the north end, up the hill and back south on the coast highway, then repeat. You could combine it with a drive a bit further north to the Oceanside Pier, walk to the end and have a meal at Ruby's Diner.

The Wild Animal Safari is best in the winter when it is cooler - but a visit to San Diego is not complete without a visit to the Zoo. Albert's restaurant (in the zoo) is a nice way to break up a visit and the food is way better than the snack stands.

If you want to see some California History, you can also take the train up to San Juan Capistrano - the Mission there is worthwhile (best of the lot) and you could have a meal at the Cedar Creek Inn (across the street) and take the train back - all in a day (or less). The Mission and surrounding restaurants are all walking distance to the train. Plus the train passes over some of the most beautiful land owned by the government that is part of Camp Pendleton and otherwise inaccessible. Sit on the left side and enjoy the water views.

I'd skip Tijuana. Border towns are not "Mexico" and the time to get back over the border is a waste of time if you only have a week.

You don't say where you are staying. San Diego is a BIG area comprised of a lot of small communities. Plan your time wisely or you will spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FrAAmer
I would not miss Torrey Pines State Beach and Park, especially in the early morning for a hike in the Park. While you are there, the Torrey Pines Glider Port is only a few minutes away and fascinating to see the para sailers jump off the cliff and fly around. ..

I also love Coronado and find the Del worth seeing. I live in North San Diego and we drive to the Del, pay the ridiculous parking fee and use their beach which is the best groomed beach in San Diego...

If you like to walk, the Sea Wall at Tamarack (Carlsbad) is a great walk.
+1 on all of these.

In addition, I'd take in a ballgame at PETCO

After checking out Torrey Pines, go to Lajolla and eat upstairs on the deck at George's by the Sea.

Before going to Sea World, watch Blackfish and see if you really think it is all that cool....

For me, San Diego is all about being outdoors...I would not spend a moment there in a museum....
Old May 29, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Also, as far as food, if you like Mexican food, I highly recommend Nati's in Ocean Beach. For a good burrito, Santanas.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Definitely agree about George's. I would skip the Flagship bay cruise, and instead just take the ferry to Coronado (leaves from the same place, and goes across the same bay). It's cheaper, and more fun. Plus they let you take bikes on it! I would rent some beach cruisers, take the ferry, and then hang around Coronado for the afternoon.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Go club Cowles Mountain or head out to Mt. Laguna.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Skip: Old Town Trolley Tour, Tijuana, Harbor cruises

If the timing is right, take in a Padres game at night. That way you have the entire day free to visit museums.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I see you thought about the Old Town Trolley Tour, but a half-day walking around Old Town itself is also worth doing if your at all interested in California history. It has the added bonus of looking a lot like a cleaner, smaller Tia Juana, if you walk past the museum/old building area to the indoor markets. I'd choose Old Town over Seaport Village any day.

I agree with the poster above about taking in the tide pools on Point Loma. Be sure to check high and low tide times and choose your day accordingly.

And yes, there is a lovely little photography museum in Balboa park. As well as an aerospace museum and the Reuben H Fleet Science Center, which is my very favourite science museum, anywhere.

The missions are interesting, but some are not easy to get to. Will you have a car?

I've never done the above-recommended harbor tour with the Maritime Museum, but I've done the generic harbour cruises many times. They are the most interesting when someone is reenacting a sea battle, otherwise I'd imagine the Museum tour would be as good, if not better.

What time of year are you going? Despite what you see on television, not all sunny days are created equal. Many San Diego mornings and evenings can get chilly, despite being gorgeously warm in the middle of the day, especially in early summer. Don't just check the highs for your trip, make sure your seeing the lows as well when you start to pack.

Enjoy America's Finest City (their words, not mine )
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Don;t expect to see the sun at Point Loma or La Jolla in June. "June Gloom" is not simply a catchphrase.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:00 am

Usually the June Gloom warning is needed, but this year we've not seen much of that. Come on down and expect sunshine.

I'd definitely skip Tijuana, and Seaport Village is very touristy. Check for special events in Old Town. They are free and some of them are really great. (Example - Twainfest in August). Balboa Park is beautiful and a wonderful mix of outdoor spaces and indoor museums.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

Personally, I would move La Jolla to the top of the list. It is the epitome of what Southern California is all about. Spend a day wandering around the Cove, enjoying the beauty of the coast and popping into some local boutiques, coffee shops, or gelaterias. Maybe make your way up to Torrey Pines - watching the paragliders is a site unto itself - and if you're up for the hike heading down to Black's Beach is totally worth it (just be aware that the beach is "clothing optional"). There are a number of great restaurants in La Jolla but I'll second (or third?) the recommendation of George's at the Cove. I'll admit I'm a bit biased, as my Fianc and I had it recommend to us when we first moved here as a "special occasion" dinner, and now three years later are planning our (small) wedding there, but it is indeed a special place. World-class food, incredible service, and breathtaking views. Try the fish tacos.

We also love the zoo - and prefer the safari park to the downtown zoo - but both are outstanding.

The museums in Balboa Park are "good" but not outstanding - if we want to see world-class museums we head to LA. The Midway is pretty cool and I really enjoyed it but my fianc really wasn't interested - so just decide who in your group would enjoy it and plan accordingly. If you're into military history you'll love it.

We live in Little Italy and LOVE the farmers market. I love seeing markets when I travel, and if you do to you won't go wrong there. It could make a great afternoon wandering around the area and grabbing lunch from a vendor.

I think seaport village and Old Town are tourist traps and absolutely NOT worth your time. I always feel bad for tourists (especially those that come off a cruise ship and only have a few hours here) who think seaport village is San Diego.

Petco is a beautiful park - only drawback is that you have to watch the Padres.

Where are you staying? That would very much determine what things are easier to do than others and how much time you'll need.

Enjoy your trip! Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit to add: Also, don't go to Tijuana. Seriously. Nothing good will come of that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.