Reload this Page >

Channel Islands, California

Old May 17, 14, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Ok, a friend of mine is going to spend a few weeks in SBA and is considering spending a weekend on the Channel Islands, CA and has asked me to for adive.

1) is it worth the trouble?

2) In terms of accommodation all I find are some low-quality Motel 6 / Hampton Inn / Residence Inn type properties in Oxnard and Ventura - which all seem rather unappealting.

3) I assume renting a car would be the best way to get there?

4) Any alternative destination ex-SBA you can recommend for a weekend trip?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 17, 14, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
If your friend is a scuba diver, they may enjoy a day trip to the Channel Islands. AFAIK, accommodations on the Channel Islands are limited to campsites or rather rustic accommodations, they are a National Park after all. I would recommend Carmel or Monterey for a weekend away from SBA.

http://www.nps.gov/CHIS/INDEX.HTM

Last edited by SWCPHX; May 17, 14 at 6:55 pm
Old May 19, 14, 10:48 am

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder
Rental car not recommended

I wouldn't rent a car to get to the Channel Islands. It would likely get stuck in the sand on the beach and that may violate your rental contract.

A boat would be a better approach.
Old May 19, 14, 11:32 am

No matter what the AAA magazine's ad said, Channel Islands area is not really a popular travel destination! We actually spent 3 or 4 weekends over the years there because Oxnard has one of the only Hilton in So Cal that's on the beach, Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach. It is an older resort but fun for the kid. Other than that, there is not much in the area unless you scuba dive.

There is a great spa hotel in Ojai. I would visit Solvang. And we love Cambia and Big Sur. And if your friend has time, drive up to Monterey/Carmel. After all those, if he/she still has time.. then maybe Ventura/Oxnard....
Old May 19, 14, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame View Post
I wouldn't rent a car to get to the Channel Islands. It would likely get stuck in the sand on the beach and that may violate your rental contract.

A boat would be a better approach.

Yeah, it sounds like there is some confusion as to what the Channel Islands actually are.

Now there's the Channel Islands National Park, which I have always wanted to visit, but have never had the time, $$$ and (realistically) opportunity to do. But there are islands which belong to the Channel Islands archipelago and are not part of the park. Santa Catalina Island is one of these. I have been there, and that is a pretty fun place to visit! I'm not sure, however, that it would be among the highest places on my list of places to visit if I were in southern California for only a limited amount of time.

The Channel Islands are gorgeous when viewed from ex-LAX flights that go out over the Pacific (i.e. all of them).
Old May 20, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
The Channel Islands are a great destination if you are a diver but will need a boat as a car won't do.
Old May 20, 14, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the responses.

I of course didn't intend to drive the car across to the island, as much fun as that may be. I meant renting a car and then take a boat would likely be the best option since there don't seem to be any tour operators or similar, more simple, options to get there?
Old May 20, 14, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I of course didn't intend to drive the car across to the island, as much fun as that may be. I meant renting a car and then take a boat would likely be the best option since there don't seem to be any tour operators or similar, more simple, options to get there?
http://www.islandpackers.com/index.html

http://www.flightstothechannelislands.com/

Although I think the "best" option is not to go there. If you mean the Catalina Island (part of the channel islands I guess), it is okay to spend a weekend there. I did. But it is nothing special.. just a very tourist oriented island... cruise ships hangs out there... good scuba diving.
Old May 28, 14, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
If you are interested in outdoor sports (camping, hiking, scuba diving, kayaking) a trip to Channel Islands National Park can be fun.... (depart from Ventura, renting a car from SBA would likely be necessary) But if you are looking for the tourist experience, the only Channel Island that can provide that is Catalina Island, and the ferries to that location are about 100+ miles (through Los Angeles) from SBA.

Other weekend touring opportunities from SBA...

How about touring the Santa Barbara wine country?

A trip up to Morro Bay & Hurst Castle?

Search this Thread