Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

car hire in san francisco question

Old May 14, 14, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club

will be spending three days in san Francisco in August and will then be hring a car. There will be four of us and four suitcases which we will be carrying around with us for 20 days. I have narrowed the choice down to three, a jeep grand Cherokee ( or similar) with Alamo, A Dodge journey with a rental company that you find out only when completing the booking and Chevrolet Equinox with Hertz. They are all fairly similar in price although the Equinox is about $100 more. I have never driven any of the vehicles and I know that I may be given an alternative but can any car experts guide me to the right one. I will be doing about 1500 miles so fuel economy and trunk size will be important. Thanks
Old May 14, 14, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You do realize these are all SUVs without a real trunk, right? They should all be big enough for 4 people and luggage. Mileage is similar, so little cost differential for only 1500 miles of driving. I'd probably go with the Cherokee. I've always had good luck with Alamo.

If you don't necessarily need an SUV, a sedan like a Chevy Impala would be spacious enough for 4 and might be cheaper and more similar to what you are used to driving. Note that SUVs can have a slightly higher center of gravity, and you need to readjust habits a bit when cornering.

Have a great trip!

Doc
Old May 14, 14, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
As Doc Savage mentioned, all three options you proposed are sport utility vehicles (SUVs). If you don't have specific need for an SUV you may be better served by booking a full size car. They are often (but not always) cheaper than SUV rentals. Common full size choices at rental depots are the Dodge Charger, Chevy Impala, and Nissan Altima. Any of these would carry four adults comfortably, accommodate reasonable luggage in the trunk, and deliver better fuel economy than an SUV.

If you do wish to rent an SUV, the Equinox will have the best fuel economy and the most car-like ride. The Grand Cherokee will have, by far, the best off road capability if that is your reason for choosing an SUV.
Old May 15, 14, 9:48 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Have you thought about a mini-van (people mover)? It will drive more car like and give tons of comfortable space.

But I agree that a full size sedan will serve your purposes for a car unless you just want to drive an SUV.
Old May 15, 14, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
Have you thought about a mini-van (people mover)? It will drive more car like and give tons of comfortable space.

But I agree that a full size sedan will serve your purposes for a car unless you just want to drive an SUV.
Mini-van = Neutermobile. If you are going to drive something bigger, just enjoy the SUV.
Old May 15, 14, 10:48 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Mini-van = Neutermobile. If you are going to drive something bigger, just enjoy the SUV.
LOL a minivan will give everyone a very comfortable ride with plenty of space. An SUV may or may not provide that.

Search this Thread