Reload this Page >

connecting in SAN from WN to AS

Old May 8, 14, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

i know that WN and AS are both in terminal 1 but on opposite wings that are not connected airside.

i'm entertaining the notion of booking my wife on a connection in SAN on two separate tickets, arriving on WN and departing on AS, then vice versa on the return trip.

how much time would be the minimum recommended for this based on the traffic on those security checkpoints at SAN?

no checked bags, but no pre-check either. only one flight per day from SAN to destination and vice versa on AS.
Old May 8, 14, 3:11 pm

Probably depends on how long the layover is.

I'm not a "frequent" flier, but when I do it's on WN out of SAN. That line can be hit or miss. I'd say it could be as long as a 30 minute wait on the worst day, but probably normally 10-15 mins. (Others might more experience?)
Old May 8, 14, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
On the outbound going WN->AS I can book a one hour or two and a half hour layover. On the return going AS->WN, the longest layover I can book is about an hr and 40.
Old May 14, 14, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
entertaining??? Are you ticked at her and want to get some sort of revenge??

Unless you have a long lay over I would not even attempt this.

How much fare are you saving by booking it this way? what is the cost difference than if you booked one airline?

Southwest flight can be delayed thus missing your connection. If there is just one flight per day you could be screwed if there is a delay or cancelation because they will only rebook you to SAN.
Old May 18, 14, 11:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, we all know the risks, yet sometimes we all do this, it's hardly "revenge."

As you don't have to transfer to the other terminal, I'd say 1hr 40 is reasonable cushion, one hour is often doable but would probably make me nervous enough that I would go for the longer time.

Search this Thread