Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

what kind of prepaid phone i can get to use internet?

Old Jan 31, 14, 12:57 am
Original Poster

So i need a basic sim car, i have a extra iphone 3GS that i can use... I need the phone to make calls, texts and use 3G internet on it.

I am going to leave the country in 15 days so only looking for pre paid phones... Last time i was in Boston, they gave me At&T for about $2 per day unlimited voice and text but said no internet is possible if u buy just a sim card

Also, can i get this at LAX? I don't have GPS so would really like that
Old Jan 31, 14, 1:19 pm

Straight Talk has prepaid plan for $45 unlimited talk and text and 2.5G data for a month. You will need to get the SIM and refill card from Walmart though.
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:19 am

I don't know about LAX, but Oakland airport has a Straight Talk vending machine in the terminal with SIM cards and even phones. I've also seen them in local shopping malls. Perhaps LAX has them as well? It would certainly avoid a trip to Wal-Mart.
Old Feb 11, 14, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm not 100% sure that there is, but I would imagine a large airport like LAX should have them... Especially in the international terminal.

Many carriers have prepaid plans that would work for you - the "travel and technology" forum has a sticky with threads for local sims. That should be a first resource.

In the event the airport does not have one large places that will for sure are Walmart, Target, Best Buy and Radio Shack. I believe 7-11 might as well.

You will need a sim on either t-mobile, AT&T or one of their MVNOs (H2O, Straight Talk). If you want you can also order a sim about a week before your trip and have it shipped to your hotel waiting for you when you arrive. Most hotels in America will receive mail for confirmed guests a few days before their reservation. I have never been charged for doing this. That will provide you even greater variety and you will not need to track down a sim.
Old Feb 11, 14, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
ST doesn't have an automated retail kiosk (shop) at LAX but according to this list, there are a # of locations in the greater LA area, in addition to Walmart.

T-Mobile has similar prepaid plans at competitive prices, easy to setup & use and given your device, will give you very good 3G/HSPA+ coverage. Look for a T-Mo corporate store and/or authorized agent around town (in shopping malls) - under BYOD (bring your own device) on their prepaid website.

http://www.straighttalkblog.com/2013...ail-shops.html

If you find & select Straight Talk, you can choose a Sim for AT&T's network or one for T-Mobile's network.
Old Feb 11, 14, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
With older iPhones (like OP's 3GS) won't Tmobile's plans only give Edge?

Originally Posted by Letitride3c View Post
ST doesn't have an automated retail kiosk (shop) at LAX but according to this list, there are a # of locations in the greater LA area, in addition to Walmart.

T-Mobile has similar prepaid plans at competitive prices, easy to setup & use and given your device, will give you very good 3G/HSPA+ coverage. Look for a T-Mo corporate store and/or authorized agent around town (in shopping malls) - under BYOD (bring your own device) on their prepaid website.

http://www.straighttalkblog.com/2013...ail-shops.html

If you find & select Straight Talk, you can choose a Sim for AT&T's network or one for T-Mobile's network.
Old Feb 11, 14, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
For a while, ST was using T-Mo's band (2013) but since then offering both AT&T and T-Mo. The new full activation kit sold at Walmart contained both Sims, one for AT&T and the other for T-Mo and are clearly marked.

T-Mo's own branded (not MNVO) has picked up bands including that of MetroPCS so its 3G coverage are being spread out, as it used to be 1700 Mhz or else. OP's iPhone 3GS has 850/1900/2100 plus the quadband, and it should be fine in places like LAX & nearby - for basic email, light mobile browsing & GPS, 2G/Edge data is more than adequate.

For Youtube & video streaming, etc. - mobile speed is always going to be "slow" to the power user.
Old Mar 17, 14, 12:00 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Have you tried ebay? They sell prepaid cards for as low as $15 include postage when I was looking at them about a year ago.
Old Mar 20, 14, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Take a look at H20 Wireless.

They have monthly unlimited talk/text/MMS plans that range from $30-60 depending on how much data usage you want. All also allow unlimited international texts...and the $50-60 plans include unlimited calls to India if that matters to you. They are a MVMO using AT&T's network.

Or you can buy minutes for pay-as-you-go in $10-30 amounts. Both Fry's & Circuit City stores should have SIM kits.
Old May 21, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Bought an ultra preloaded sim at ebay for $5 to use in my DC trip. Wok out well to call - free international call is a plus but internet was pita because my phone is from Europe, so it was edge the whole time.

Ordered a nexus 5 and will be picking up at the hotel next week, ordered another sim from ebay. Hopefully I will get 4g speed this time.
Old May 31, 14, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Straight Talk has prepaid plan for $45 unlimited talk and text and 2.5G data for a month. You will need to get the SIM and refill card from Walmart though.
Net10 is basically the same service as Straight Talk. Both are owned by Tracphone, and both use the same towers and offer basically the same plans - but Straight Talk is a subsidiary that they created in an exclusive deal that Tracphone has with Walmart. They created the Net10 in order to get around the exclusivity and offer a similar deal with other channels.

Either service will allow you to take any T-Mobile or AT&T compatible phone into their service - the phones don't even need to be unlocked.

I bought an AT&T-locked HTC Vivid 4G LTE phone on ebay for about $85 and activated it on Net10's $45/month no contract plan that is similar to the Straight Talk plan described above. It still runs on the AT&T network, but it costs $30 a month less than AT&T's no contract plan that's similar. The phone is comparable to stuff that T-Mobile sells for $300-350 without a contract, and AT&T normally would require a 2 year contract to give you a phone of that caliber.

Search this Thread