Wiki Posts
Search

1 Afternoon in Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, etc

Am doing a MR to SMF this week . Arriving about noon Tues and leaving noon the following day. Staying at SMF Homewood Suites. Solo trip and no car. What suggestions for seeing the area, downtown, shops, restaurants etc? Most appreciated!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
That's a toughie - without a car you will not have too much you can do. I assume you mean next week - not this week since Tuesday has already passed.

About all I can think of is taking a cab to Natomas marketplace where you can see a movie and visit In-N-Out/Hooters/Walmart or taking a cab downtown to the J Street area.

Sleep Train Arena is near your hotel but I checked the schedule and it does not look like anything is going on there Tuesday night.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Years ago I visited Sac frequently, when my best friend lived there. I could've offered you plenty of suggestions back then, revolving around fast cars, exotic women, gambling, guns, and-- oddly-- guacamole. But those days are past and I only stop in Sac anymore when I'm on my way to somewhere else.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SMF Homewood suites are in the middle of nowhere, not far from the airport but not close to any attraction. Furthermore, the only public transit anywhere near the place appears to be a city bus line that only runs hourly.

You're stuck without a car unless you want to pay a bundle in cab fares.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The last time I was in that position, I just pulled a good book out, found a comfortable chair at my hotel and enjoyed some down time. SMF is not convenient to anything.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Unless things have changed, it's the Yolo Bus (not the Sacramento transit agency) that runs the service to and from the airport:

http://www.yolobus.com/news/airportservice.php
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
You need to rent a car.

The airport is not near downtown ( airport middle of nowhere---sort of like DEN). There is a bus that runs from the airport into the city.

...do in and Out for one meal.

Being the state capital you have some touristy sites to see.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
California Railroad Museum

I really like the California Railroad Museum - and it is close to Old Town with quite a few good restaurants and interesting shops.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I really like the California Railroad Museum - and it is close to Old Town with quite a few good restaurants and interesting shops.
Many years ago I had a job interview in town and had a redeye to catch. After the interview they dropped me off at the airport, and I took the bus downtown and visited both Old Town and Railroad Museum before hopping back on the bus to the airport.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, etc

Thanks to all. I think I may take EmailKid's advice. If I can connect with YoloBus schedule wise I will take a trip downtown and see what Sacramento looks like at least. How long a bus ride?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:49 am

Homewood Suites in North Natomas. is a nice hotel. Some restaurants nearby, but not much else. http://goo.gl/maps/nyhFU About half-way between the airport and downtown.

Check the Yolo bus site and/or ask the hotel (they've surely been asked before). Even splurge on a taxi. For a limited amount of time, I'd go to Old Sacramento and see the excellent state railroad museum. There's also a decent car museum you could walk to from there (several minutes' walk). If bus takes too long, consider a taxi.

Last edited by SoCal; Jan 12, 2014 at 10:51 am Reason: error
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:46 pm

20 minutes from the Airport to Downtown on Yolobus Route 42, in essence non-stop. Not a bad service except that it is only hourly, albeit with extended hours into the evenings. There are two 42s, the A and B, which make a complete loop from Sacramento to Davis to Woodland to SMF to Sacramento, and v.v. It's the difference between a 20 minute trip and a 75 minute trip, so make sure you are on the right one for your needs.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
As someone who doesn't drive anymore and as a former Sac resident, noon to noon is plenty of time to ride into the city by bus. I would have walked in/around the state capital, gone to the Crocker Art Museum or the California Museum, and strolled along the river to Old Sac. Lots of restaurants, cafes and coffee houses throughout the city with sidewalk seating too.

referencelib, what did you end up doing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.