Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Yosemite-Tioga road closure 2013

Old Dec 5, 13, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt

For those considering visits to or through Yosemite this year, the announcement has been made that both the Tioga Pass and Glacier Point roads have been closed due to snow, most likely for the season. The Valley is still open and beautiful from the west-side entrances.

I ran up a couple of weeks ago to catch the tail-end of the fall color and got these:

Old Dec 5, 13, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
When did you travel there?
Old Dec 5, 13, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, I only live a couple of hours away and have a lifetime free pass so am up there often. These particular photos were made on 11-14.
Old Dec 6, 13, 11:59 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Really good photographs. Thanks for sharing them.

Adey
Old Dec 7, 13, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mradey View Post
Really good photographs. ...
Thank you for the kind words. It really is nice having such a great subject so close by.
Old Dec 10, 13, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
Well, I only live a couple of hours away and have a lifetime free pass so am up there often. These particular photos were made on 11-14.

On m Bucket list to do there when fall colors are out. I know it's the early-mid part of November there but it also depends on elevation.

I've been there numerous times too...just not in fall. If the fire didn't happen I would have done Tioga pass area in late August. Was at Lake Tahoe then.
Old Dec 10, 13, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for sharing. Do they allow snowmobiles on Tioga road after the seasonal closure?

One of my favorite runs is on Hwy. 108 near the Sonora Pass. I park at the closure point and run on the snowmobile tracks. It's an ideal surface for distance running, I'm fine with the cold temps, and the scenery is spectacular.
Old Dec 10, 13, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
On m Bucket list to do there when fall colors are out. I know it's the early-mid part of November there but it also depends on elevation. ...
One of the best ways to keep on top of where and when the fall color in Yosemite is peaking is via Michael Frye's blog. Mike lived in the Valley for years and taught at the Ansel Adams Gallery. He is now a working pro living in Mariposa but is still one of the go-to guys regarding Yosemite.

http://www.michaelfrye.com/landscape-photography-blog/
Old Dec 10, 13, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
... Do they allow snowmobiles on Tioga road after the seasonal closure? ...
Not being a snowmobiler, I can't really speak with authority, but I don't think so. Yosemite is one of the NPs that prohibits any motorized vehicles in the snow areas. You can get better, more definitive info by calling the Park Service.
Old Dec 11, 13, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Thanks for sharing. Do they allow snowmobiles on Tioga road after the seasonal closure?

One of my favorite runs is on Hwy. 108 near the Sonora Pass. I park at the closure point and run on the snowmobile tracks. It's an ideal surface for distance running, I'm fine with the cold temps, and the scenery is spectacular.

You generally cant do it in the park or in wilderness area. In the national forest surrounding the park you usually can in certain areas. The few parks that allow it, its usually highly regulated.

It appears in the Lee Vining/Mono Lake area in the eastern side there are places
http://www.wilderness.net/toolboxes/...a%20Poster.pdf

and the SW corner near Tenaya Lodge there are spots you can go as well.

the national forests would probably be the better source for maps and info on where you can/cant do it.
Old Dec 11, 13, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
One of the best ways to keep on top of where and when the fall color in Yosemite is peaking is via Michael Frye's blog. Mike lived in the Valley for years and taught at the Ansel Adams Gallery. He is now a working pro living in Mariposa but is still one of the go-to guys regarding Yosemite.

http://www.michaelfrye.com/landscape-photography-blog/
I think I did a guided tour with him on one visit. From Ansel Adams museum they do morning photographer hikes.
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Amazing photos - when I first saw them, I thought they must be paintings and couldn't be real. Who needs Ansel Adams?

Search this Thread