5 hours in SAN....what should I do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite

I have a 5 hour layover in SAN Saturday. I have never visited the city, what can I do in this limited timeframe?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by applezz13
I have a 5 hour layover in SAN Saturday. I have never visited the city, what can I do in this limited timeframe?
Which five hours?

If you are in SAN during a meal, get in a cab and ask to go to "Point Loma Seafood" (closes at sundown BTW) it is just down from the airport but to far to walk. Great food, views, and scene.

Want to be a tourist ask to go to "Old Down" just above the airport but again too far to walk.

Walk to walk? Cross the street and turn left (the Navy base will be on your right...you can't miss it) and walk into the city, you'll find plenty.

Enjoy
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by Madone59
Which five hours?

If you are in SAN during a meal, get in a cab and ask to go to "Point Loma Seafood" (closes at sundown BTW) it is just down from the airport but to far to walk. Great food, views, and scene.

Want to be a tourist ask to go to "Old Down" just above the airport but again too far to walk.

Walk to walk? Cross the street and turn left (the Navy base will be on your right...you can't miss it) and walk into the city, you'll find plenty.

Enjoy

You mean "Old Town"??? Must have replied before your morning coffee.

Another option is to join up, and come home on a BIG SHIP !!!!

The sea food sounds like the best option, I have eaten there, not bad.

Enjoy the city, lots to see.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Walk to Island Prime, eat, and enjoy the view. Alternatively, take the Sheraton shuttle and walk from there.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Walk to Island Prime, eat, and enjoy the view. Alternatively, take the Sheraton shuttle and walk from there.
Unfortunately, not much is walkable from the airport, and there is no train or light rail service to get you downtown. A cab is an option, but it will probably cost you around $25-30 RT and five hours isn't that long, really.

I would agree with going to Harbor Island. Island Prime and its lounge, C-level, are at the east end of the island if you want to eat, but you can also just check out the island itself. It offers great views of downtown to the east, the Coronado military base to the south, and Point Loma to the west. There is a long sidewalk that runs the entire length of the island -- quite a few locals jog there. If you're interested in aviation, you may see some interesting military aircraft taking off and landing in Coronado.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you take the shuttle to Alamo, the location is right next to the Trolley light rail, which will take you right into downtown. You can also take the MTS Bus 992.

I second Point Loma Seafoods, if you don't mind that taxi ride. Little Italy could be worth a visit too for food.

To do/see: Visit the USS Midway.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:24 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
So what did you end up doing? I would have suggested taking a taxi to the Gaslamp district and walking around/grabbing something to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.