Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Need your help for January trip to So Cal

Old Sep 14, 13, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10

Looking for your help is deciding a destination that is warm in So Cal in the month of January. Will be traveling with 80 yr. old parents that are wanting to escape Ohio winter. Something comfortable and about 200 mile radius of LAX.
It seems the warmest spots may be San Diego, Palm Springs, or Death Valley.
Appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old Sep 14, 13, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
A typical January day reaches 65-70 degrees around much of SoCal. Unless your folks need to eke out a few extra degrees I would put weather aside for the moment and begin by organizing the trip around the activities you and your parents want to do.
Old Sep 15, 13, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks
My in-laws are content to reading a book next to water (beach,lake,river). My wife and I would like to swim, but with 65-70 that may not be possible. Especially in the Pacific, except for a quick swim.
Perfect place would be a small cabin on a lake with 65-70 temperature. Or a resort in San Diego or Palm Springs, etc with a great pool.
Old Sep 15, 13, 6:34 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd suggest concentrating your research in the greater Palm Springs area; sounds like a good fit with what you are seeking. Do note that in the desert, it's not unusual to see a low temperature that is 30-40 degrees lower than the daytime high.
Old Sep 16, 13, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Clincher View Post
Thanks
My in-laws are content to reading a book next to water (beach,lake,river). My wife and I would like to swim, but with 65-70 that may not be possible. Especially in the Pacific, except for a quick swim.
Perfect place would be a small cabin on a lake with 65-70 temperature. Or a resort in San Diego or Palm Springs, etc with a great pool.
Swimming at California beaches in January is NOT advised! Outside temperature could be 70, but water temperature will probably be under 60! Unless you want to invest in some wetsuits, I would find hotels with heated pool.
Old Sep 16, 13, 9:46 pm

Death Valley?

Death Valley could be boring even for 80 year olds. What about something by the sea? The ocean cities are a tad warmer than inland. Off the top of my head, for a nice visit in southern California, Dana Point is lovely. Laguna Niguel has nice hotels, and you can find plenty of condos to rent near or on the beach. I used to live in San Diego, but I really am not that in tune to travel type places there. Dana Point has a lot of beautiful sailboats that older people (younger people too) might find interesting. The area is very picturesque and not as hurried as some parts of LA or San Diego.

just my two cents
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Swimming at California beaches in January is NOT advised! Outside temperature could be 70, but water temperature will probably be under 60! Unless you want to invest in some wetsuits, I would find hotels with heated pool.
Agreed. And bring coats for night time, whether in SD or Palm Springs areas.
Old Sep 22, 13, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Even in Palm Springs, it gets quite cool at night, which tends to keep the water in pools cool in January, unless the pool is heated. But there are tons of great places in the Palm Springs to La Quinta area with great pools. Some of my favorites are:

The Renaissance Esmeralda and the Hyatt Grand Champions in Indian Wells,
'The Westin in Palm Desert
Rancho Las Palmas and The Westin in Rancho Mirage
Old Sep 23, 13, 2:52 pm

San Diego can be cold in January - definitely not beach weather. High temps average around 65 degrees.
Old Sep 23, 13, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Nothing personal to the locals......

Why pick California?

what about South Florida on either coast? Southern Texas? Hawaii? Caribbean?

If you want water to swim in Florida/Caribbean is your best bet.
Old Sep 23, 13, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
Nothing personal to the locals......

Why pick California?

what about South Florida on either coast? Southern Texas? Hawaii? Caribbean?

If you want water to swim in Florida/Caribbean is your best bet.
Nothing personal, but Florida is nowhere NEAR as warm as Palm Springs in January. Typical Palm Springs area weather is low 60s at night, high 80s or low 90s during the day.
Old Sep 25, 13, 6:14 am
Original Poster

We picked California since the in-laws have never been and we got a great fare to ONT. They've done FL
Thank you for the input. We are leaning towards Palm Springs or San Diego. San Diego just for the views of the coast, Palm Springs since it sounds like it might be warmer. A condo on the beach (with a hot tub)sounds good
The mention of specific places helps-thx
Old Sep 25, 13, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I know your parents are older, but depending on how long your trip is you just may be able to do both. I used to do inland to San Diego all the time within a single day and if you have an extra night or two you can easily do both.

Also, Renaissance Esmerelda is a beautiful property - I highly recommend it. I went there a few years ago with the family and everyone from the kids (8-13 years old) to the grandparents had a great time there.
Old Sep 25, 13, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Consultette View Post
I know your parents are older, but depending on how long your trip is you just may be able to do both. I used to do inland to San Diego all the time within a single day and if you have an extra night or two you can easily do both.

Also, Renaissance Esmerelda is a beautiful property - I highly recommend it. I went there a few years ago with the family and everyone from the kids (8-13 years old) to the grandparents had a great time there.
If you avoid commute times, Palm Springs/Palm Desert is only a 2.5 hour drive from San Diego.
Old Sep 25, 13, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by flyboy60 View Post
Nothing personal, but Florida is nowhere NEAR as warm as Palm Springs in January. Typical Palm Springs area weather is low 60s at night, high 80s or low 90s during the day.
look at the data....avg highs for Miami is warmer than Palm Springs and avg lows are warmer than Palm Springs. Palm Springs have higher record highs temperature and lower record low temperatures. In Palm Springs you have a greater shot of the temps being below freezing. Miami also has the benfit of being near a body of water you can swim in during January.

Search this Thread