Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

All-You-Can-Fly Airline Plies the California Coast

Old Aug 7, 13, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I read this article in the New York Times yesterday and though it might be interesting to some people here:

Surf Air started flying in June, with service between smaller airports in Burbank, Calif., and San Carlos near Palo Alto, tapping into those who do business between Hollywood and Silicon Valley and would prefer to do so without the headaches of major airports. It added service last month to Santa Barbara, Calif., and is considering additional destinations by the end of the year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Old Aug 9, 13, 12:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's another lengthy thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can.

P.S. They were going to use Palo Alto airport, wonder if they switched to San Carlos and, if so, why.
Old Aug 9, 13, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This one came up when I Googled though I don't know if it's lengthy:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ia-cities.html
Old Aug 9, 13, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
This one came up when I Googled though I don't know if it's lengthy:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ia-cities.html
Yeah that's it, and the thread isn't that lengthy after all. Doesn't seem like it's going to turn out to be a great idea. Wonder if it actually will get off the ground.
Old Aug 16, 13, 1:06 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Yeah that's it, and the thread isn't that lengthy after all. Doesn't seem like it's going to turn out to be a great idea. Wonder if it actually will get off the ground.
I actually think that it's a pretty good idea - assuming they can find enough customers who find it convenient on both ends.
Old Aug 28, 13, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL, BA
I briefly thought about purchasing a membership based on my travel schedule, and did attend one of their focus groups (held earlier this year). The locations work out (I live in downtown LA; haven't been through the airport in San Carlos but the physical location is pretty close to where I need to go). Unfortunately, the schedule is a bit restrictive, and my inkling is that the flights during commute times will be more highly trafficked. I'm not going to sit around waiting for an 8:30 morning flight back home.

A couple notes.
- This is a decent alternative for LAX-SFO commute, not exorbitantly more expensive, provided capacity will expand. Right now, only 4x round trips per day BUR-SQL.
- You can hold 4 one-way reservations, so some of the comments above may not apply. As a non-member, I don't know what flight availability has looked like. If you're locked out because there are 30+ people trying to fly at the same time I think this will become an issue.
- I was looking at the service more from the perspective of business travel, but it seems that there's a fair amount of interest in vacation-type locations. For example, in the next phase of roll-out, they are planning flights to/from: Tahoe, San Diego, Sacramento, Sonoma, Palm Springs. Maybe capacity won't be so much of an issue
Old Aug 30, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
a six seat turboprop with a 5' wide cabin and 4'10" of headroom ? I think I'd rather fly SWA.
Old Nov 29, 13, 7:41 pm

Looks like they're doing okay.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/12/su...rship-service/

The result has been a big success. The service works for people like venture capitalists who are visiting their portfolio companies, or executives who have a loved one in another city.

“We can’t buy planes fast enough,” Eyerly said. “We can’t meet the demand yet.”

There are 6,000 people on a wait list.
Old Nov 30, 13, 7:15 pm

Amazing, simply amazing.

Search this Thread