Reload this Page >

Santa Barbara -> LAX by public transport

Old Jun 29, 13, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G

Good morning

I am trying to get from Santa Barbara to LAX for a 9.45am domestic flight.

Is the Santa Barbara Airbus my only option? That arrives at LAX at 8.15am; is this too tight? Anybody have experience of their on-time record?

Also, is there a cheaper (less than $50) option that I'm missing, apart from taking the train the night before and staying over.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 13, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Fly. Albeit that's more expensive.
Old Jun 30, 13, 12:37 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
If you can get a ride to East Ventura, there are Metrolink trains that leave at 5:25 and 6:03. That is about 33 miles away but it might work for you.
Old Jun 30, 13, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Fly. Albeit that's more expensive.
Insanely more expensive, it's pretty much a monopoly route. Sometimes it is a bit less outrageous if bought in conjunction with the longer haul ticket, but overall not really worthwhile.
Old Jul 1, 13, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
90 minutes ahead of departure time is generally enough time for a domestic departure. However, SB Airbus will circle LAX from T1 to T7 to drop off so 8:15 arrival time is estimates for T1. If you are flying UA (T7), I would not sit in the bus for half an hour while it circles the terminal and unload. Traffic is hellish at LAX even at 8AM due to general lack of public transportation serving the terminals so even if the bus is not full, it will still get stuck in traffic while it circles the airport. Get out at T1 and walk across the airport and you will get there before the bus.
Old Jul 1, 13, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, looks like the bus is the best option!

Get out at T1 and walk across the airport
I certainly will.
Old Jul 1, 13, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philhayes View Post
Good morning

I am trying to get from Santa Barbara to LAX for a 9.45am domestic flight.

Is the Santa Barbara Airbus my only option? That arrives at LAX at 8.15am; is this too tight? Anybody have experience of their on-time record?

Also, is there a cheaper (less than $50) option that I'm missing, apart from taking the train the night before and staying over.

Thanks!

In my experience, coming from the other direction in San Diego, L.A. traffic on weekday mornings is so hellish that I always prefer coming in the night before and staying at a hotel around LAX, Fortunately, one can generally get someplace decent on Priceline for under $80 a night. Given the time of your flight, I don't think that an 8:15 AM arrival at LAX is reliable with enough margin for error.
Old Jul 1, 13, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I will be UA Gold by then, so am I right in thinking that I would be entitled to free SDC if it is late? The flight is to IAH so there are plenty of options.
Old Jul 8, 13, 9:41 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Maybe consider Amtrak to LA Union Station then LAX Fly Away bus. I don't know if the times work, but it is an option. One of the trains, the Coast Starlight, is oft referred to as the Coast StarLATE. As pointed out up thread, consider overnighting near LAX.
Old Jul 15, 13, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you can get to LAX for free the night before, why not put the $50 towards a cheap Priceline hotel room? The value is in the peace of mind.
Old Jul 19, 13, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXative View Post
If you can get to LAX for free the night before, why not put the $50 towards a cheap Priceline hotel room? The value is in the peace of mind.
+1
Old Jul 21, 13, 11:00 pm

PL may not be as cheap an option as you think. Tried to do the very same thing a few days ago. Last minute for a Thursday night. Bid $51 for 3* and was rejected (would have been $65 w/fees). Didn't want to go down to 2.5* in case I got something that didn't have an airport shuttle and resulted in a taxi fee. Hotwire had NOTHING remotely cheap. Maybe depends on your travel dates -- mine was mid-July. Good luck

FWIW, I ended up using Starwood points for a room
Old Aug 1, 13, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Happy to report that the 5.50am departure from Santa Barbara dropped me at LAX at 8am in plenty of time for my flight!
Old Aug 1, 13, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by philhayes View Post
Happy to report that the 5.50am departure from Santa Barbara dropped me at LAX at 8am in plenty of time for my flight!
Great that it worked out so well Thanks for following up.

Search this Thread