Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Driver's license question on B1/B2 visa

Old Jun 4, 13, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

So i travel US on B1 visa and sometimes on B2 visa. Typically i am there for 30 days to 90 days but can vary. I would like to know if i can get a US drivers' license from any state (preferably CA).

I do hold international drivers license that gets me around but a state license will help alot with local ID.
Old Jun 4, 13, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan View Post
So i travel US on B1 visa and sometimes on B2 visa. Typically i am there for 30 days to 90 days but can vary. I would like to know if i can get a US drivers' license from any state (preferably CA).

I do hold international drivers license that gets me around but a state license will help alot with local ID.
An international driver's license is not needed if you have a "valid driver license from their home state or country." (...of course, if it's in a non-English language w/o translation, that IDL may have a great convenience factor)

If you want a California license, here's the way to get it:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

One hangup may be that you have to provide a Social Security number...and I'm not sure if you are allowed to obtain a SS# on a B1 or B2 visa (since neither technically allow you to be gainfully employed in the United States).
Old Jun 5, 13, 12:17 pm

There's actually no such thing as an international drivers license, though the term is used. An IDP (International Drivers Permit) is basically an English translation of one's home license. The home license must be carried with the IDP. An IDP is not normally required, even if the home license is not in English (I have used a Brazilian license in Portuguese), as long as it's in "normal" script (not Cyrillic, Chinese, etc.). But, as noted above, if the home license is not in English having an IDP can be a convenience, especially if stopped by a cop (this is what a Budget car rental rep told my wife when she presented her IDP and they only wanted the home country license for the rental).

Some rental companies may ask for an IDP, but you can find this out in advance by looking at the company's Web site or phoning the rental location.

I am pretty sure no state will issue you a license without residency, and an address, in the U.S. You MAY find some state that will issue an I.D. card, without the requirements of a drivers license, but, again, I think you'd need a license, and not just a drop-box. You can contact a couple of state motor vehicle departments, or contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Your location is listed as DEL. Are you a resident of Delaware?????
Old Jun 5, 13, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
B1/B2 visa is temporary US visitor visa. It will not qualify you for CA driver license because you are not a California resident.

Long term visa holders like F1 or H1B are considered California residents so they can get CA driver license.

Search this Thread