Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Cheapy motels - Palmdale/Lancaster/Mojave?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Would welcome recommendations for the above for a one-night stopover? Luxury not important; clean and functional is fine.

Have looked at Days Inn/EZ-8/Motel 6 etc on Trip Advisor for all three places but for what they're worth, the reviews for all three areas swing from idyllic to being lucky to escape alive.....! Sure it can't be as bad as is made out! Mojave Desert Inn looks reasonable so far, but would welcome input.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
what is your price point? Are you affiliated with any hotel chains?
Old May 13, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Pricepoint is probably sub $100, have HHonours and Marriott Rewards, but not with any status so not worried about a specific chain.

Simply after something clean, safe and functional for a night's sleep, so no luxuries needed. Not knowing the areas, and although I take online uncensored reviews with a pinch of salt, some of the reviews (tripadvisor etc) did raise a few eyebrows....
Old May 13, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
There s a courtyard in Palmdale and print hill in Lancaster...both appear to have a rate of around $119. Marriott has its standard stay 2 time for free night promo.

The best price may be the best western in Palmdale.

The area of Palmdale is an LA exerb that built up during the housing boom. The area is fne and safe.

It's been about 5 yrs since I've been in Palmdale/ Lancaster area so I can't speak for restaurants. I have a feeling the housing bust could have affected the area retail/restaurants.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that ALL the hotels in Palmdale/Mojave/Lancaster are cheapy. Tend to agree that Palmdale, which is now essentially an LA suburb for those who cannot afford the San Fernando Valley, would be a bit cleaner than the other two.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Agree with other posters.

When driving through (as fast as I possibly can), the Palmdale area seems the most built-up and has several hotels of the large chains visible from the 14.

However, it's a bit of a haul if you need to be further north in Mojave.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying into LAX and driving up ahead of doing the sights around Edwards (and hopefully a base tour if funding cuts don't interfere with those...) so all are fine in terms of location.

Mojave would allow me to get another half hour further north as I'd planned to get up and do the B-52 @ the North Gate before heading down to the West Gate for the tour; saves the out-and-back that morning, but that's not a biggie.

This is all a way off yet, but I do have a overwhelming tendency to plan in advance...

As an aside; is there anywhere local and close where it's possible to look out over Rogers Dry Lake and see the Compass Rose, or the marked out landing strips on the lakebed?

Also, how upset are the security guys going to get if I start taking photos from the public roads of the old Shuttle hangars @ Plant 42? In the UK, anything photographed from public land is fair game; is this the case in the US?
Old May 14, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by drscoop

Also, how upset are the security guys going to get if I start taking photos from the public roads of the old Shuttle hangars @ Plant 42? In the UK, anything photographed from public land is fair game; is this the case in the US?

Depends on what you are taking pictures of. You may get yelled at by a security person....but its perfectly legal if you are on the roadside and not going on the base to do this.

If they ask you anything fully cooperate with them. You give them a hassle then they could seriously screw with you.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by drscoop
Mojave would allow me to get another half hour further north as I'd planned to get up and do the B-52 @ the North Gate before heading down to the West Gate for the tour; saves the out-and-back that morning, but that's not a biggie.
I've stayed at the Best Western in Mojave and had no complaints about the hotel itself. But (you knew that was coming) it's right across the street from the railroad tracks; all trains seem to stop and change crews with engines idling while they do it. Day and night .

Check out the Best Western Suites in California City just up the road and nearer to Edwards.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip-off; certainly the best set of reviews I've looked at for a hotel in that area..... will certainly bear that one in mind.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
There is a "Palmdale Hotel" next to Motel 6 and EZ-8. It was formerly a Ramada.

Independent motels on Sierra Highway, however, should probably be avoided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.