FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california-450/)
-   -   Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/1266650-sacramento-international-airport-smf-definitive-thread.html)

JDiver Feb 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24376629)
Kind of surprising. I expected they'd move US over to B.

You're not the only one surprised; the authority has been trying to get more airlines to use the newer B (WN was pretty much forced to move there). One more change since Mr. Acree left, it appears.

skitch23 Feb 24, 2015 9:26 am

I'm looking at possibly booking a flight with a connection at SMF. Now that AA has moved to term A, what is the best way to get over to term B for an AS flight? I assume from the OP with the central part of term B being landside that you'd have to clear security again. Unless maybe the people mover connects the two airside? Thanks.

El Cochinito Feb 24, 2015 10:12 am

There is an interterminal shuttle bus that will take you between the two terminals. Since the shuttle is landside you will have to reclear security.

wto605 Feb 24, 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 24406726)
I'm looking at possibly booking a flight with a connection at SMF. Now that AA has moved to term A, what is the best way to get over to term B for an AS flight? I assume from the OP with the central part of term B being landside that you'd have to clear security again. Unless maybe the people mover connects the two airside? Thanks.

I'm not an AA flyer so maybe they have a shuttle bus (highly unlikely)? Regardless I've done what you're describing during IRROPs (was put on AS by UA).

The fastest transit land-side is done by walking through the parking garage (shuttle bus only runs every ~20 minutes). All-told you're looking at ~1500 feet of walking from the exit of A security to the land-side APM station. The APM itself is a 5~10 minute wait/ride depending on time of day and without precheck security can be significant (again, time of day dependent).

JDiver Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 24406726)

No airside interterminal connections at all at SMF, all landslide.

Two options: the shuttle bus, or during decent weather and without more than a rollaboard, it's a walkto and through the parking garage.

PV_Premier Feb 24, 2015 12:18 pm

If on time 75 mins is sufficient for inter terminal connections. No checked bags and with PRE, and 60 is very doable.

JDiver Feb 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24407729)
If on time 75 mins is sufficient for inter terminal connections. No checked bags and with PRE, and 60 is very doable.

Agreed!

LR2013 Apr 20, 2015 2:13 pm

This might be a "just me" problem, but has anyone else had issues with the self-pay booths when exiting the daily parking garage? Almost every time, my parking ticket cannot be read and I have to back up (sorry everyone!) and drive up to a manned booth. The machine the attendant uses inside the booth seems to read the ticket just fine.

Yes, I do insert the ticket in the correct direction/orientation (:p) and when traveling, I am super-careful to store it in a slot all by itself in my travel bag, no credit cards, hotel room keys, or cell phones even close by to de-magnetize the strip. Thanks for any insights!

PV_Premier Apr 21, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by LR2013 (Post 24693797)
This might be a "just me" problem, but has anyone else had issues with the self-pay booths when exiting the daily parking garage? Almost every time, my parking ticket cannot be read and I have to back up (sorry everyone!) and drive up to a manned booth. The machine the attendant uses inside the booth seems to read the ticket just fine.

Yes, I do insert the ticket in the correct direction/orientation (:p) and when traveling, I am super-careful to store it in a slot all by itself in my travel bag, no credit cards, hotel room keys, or cell phones even close by to de-magnetize the strip. Thanks for any insights!

There are a couple of them that are definitely temperamental. I want to say the 4th one from the left has given me repeated problems. I leave my ticket in my car, away from magnets, but yes, I do have intermittent problems too.

Also, one of the ticket printing machines was spitting out tickets very aggressively a few weeks ago, but it seems to have been fixed on my last trip there.

wto605 Apr 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by LR2013 (Post 24693797)

Never taken a ticket... I use the credit card on entry/exit thing. I know there's a risk I'm going to lose it, but I'm figuring at that rate I'll have bigger problems than needing to talk to someone (between the extensive APNRing and the record of my entry they'll know when I showed up).

The one time I parked for a trip where I was worried about a high risk of loss I used a backup card I keep in the car, but usually my longer/international trips involve getting a ride.

PV_Premier Apr 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24704385)
Never taken a ticket... I use the credit card on entry/exit thing. I know there's a risk I'm going to lose it, but I'm figuring at that rate I'll have bigger problems than needing to talk to someone (between the extensive APNRing and the record of my entry they'll know when I showed up).

The one time I parked for a trip where I was worried about a high risk of loss I used a backup card I keep in the car, but usually my longer/international trips involve getting a ride.

one time, about a year ago in the economy long term lot, the machine at the entry gate ate my credit card. i had to use the call button, it took them 20 minutes to show up and extract my card from the machine, and i very nearly missed my flight. since then i've been using the tickets...

LR2013 Apr 23, 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24705092)
one time, about a year ago in the economy long term lot, the machine at the entry gate ate my credit card. i had to use the call button, it took them 20 minutes to show up and extract my card from the machine, and i very nearly missed my flight. since then i've been using the tickets...

Ugh, sounds like one of my travel nightmares, glad you made your flight! Looks like I'll be sticking to the ticket+manned kiosk process, then. Wish they'd get the machines fixed, or at least have a pay before you leave the terminal machine like at other airports and parking garages. :rolleyes:

Cardboard55 Dec 5, 2015 4:43 pm

Any recommendations (or warnings) on hotels to stay at near SMF? Nice, clean, quiet, close to the airport all preferred. We have Hilton or Starwood points we could use, but we're not attached to those brands if something else is better. I've found many by searching, but skeptical on how nice they are... (Doesn't need to be luxury, but needs to be very clean, and reasonably quiet at least).

PV_Premier Dec 5, 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cardboard55 (Post 25819244)
Any recommendations (or warnings) on hotels to stay at near SMF? Nice, clean, quiet, close to the airport all preferred. We have Hilton or Starwood points we could use, but we're not attached to those brands if something else is better. I've found many by searching, but skeptical on how nice they are... (Doesn't need to be luxury, but needs to be very clean, and reasonably quiet at least).

Sheraton Four Points Natomas is one of the best IMHO. Avoid the hotels in Woodland.

abaheti Dec 5, 2015 7:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Cardboard55

Hilton Garden Inn Natomas and the Marriott right there are solid bets. I agree, avoid Woodland.