Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Sacramento International Airport - SMF / KSMF
Sacramento County, California

N.B. There is a discussion and preview thread about SMF Terminal B here.

GOING TO SMF

DRIVING TO SMF VIA PRIVATE / RENTED VEHICLE

SMF is 10 miles northwest of Sacramento immediately north of Interstate 5 (connects San Diego to Seattle). (Note: there is an on-airport gasoline / petrol station for those renting from SMF.)

From San Francisco or Lake Tahoe, use I-80 to I-5 northbound (Woodland and Seattle). From Stockton use I-5 (or US 99 connecting to I-5 via I-80 westbound) northbound. From I-5 north the airport is 10 miles "southbound" (east) of Woodland. The airport is 0.5 miles north of the Interstate 5 on Airport Boulevard.

For GPS, use the address 6900 Airport Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95837

SMF / KSMF / Sacramento International Airport website: link

Exiting north from I-5, proceed according to the map:

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "A"

Follow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard East - a one way multi-lane road running counterclockwise will take you to an area you can stop and drop off or pick up passengers. Parking or stopping for any length of time to wait is prohibited; the Sheriffs are quite quick to get you to move on. A free cellular / mobile phone lot at the airport entry, west side, is the best place to stop to wait for arriving passengers to call drivers.

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "B"

Folow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard West - the new terminal includes a two level roadway, running clockwise. The upper level is for departures and the lower level serves arriving passengers and baggage claim. Passengers departing or arriving on Southwest will find it easiest to use the West side; those using all other airlines will find it easier using the East side.

GETTING AROUND SMF

Courtesy shuttle busses travel four routes: between terminals, to parking lots (daily and economy are separate) and to the rental car center. These are all accessible. One can walk or use a wheelchair between terminals, which are connected via the parking garage - but note that though the garage has a ceiling, it is not enclosed fully.

SECURITY at SMF / Sacramento International Airport

Currently, there are Priority lines at SMF - Terminal A; at Terminal B it is on your far left, separate from the non-priority queue entries. There are now TSA PreCheck queues at both SMF terminals (October 17 2013); the SMF website does offer indications of how long it is taking to transit security.

Terminal A has PreCheck,

Terminal B:
-Along the far left wall is the known crewmember checkpoint
-In the middle are two lines: PreCheck, which splits off to the left, and general boarding, which splits off to the right.
-Along the far right wall is the Premier/First Class/Business Select/etc line.

For international arrivals there are now Global Entry kiosks.

PARKING

Parking varies considerably, from the parking garage to "economy" lots; best thing for current information is to visit the SMF parking map and click on the appropriate garage / lot number for current rates.

"Cell phone lot" / waiting area: This area offers free parking for a short period of time for occupied vehicles whose occupants are waiting for passengers, who can call them when they arrive. This allows comfortable waiting within five minutes of any terminal, without causing congestion (and inviting a ticket from the officers patrolling the arrivals area, where waiting is not permitted).

TRANSPORTATION to/from SMF / Sacramento International Airport

TAXIS (SITOA airport authorized taxis at SMF) in Sacramento charge
  • $3 flag drop, $2.50 for each additional mile
  • Rate to wait is $25 per hour
  • One way SMF to Sacramento downtown is $33.00
  • Round-trip between SMF and downtown Sacramento is $66.00
  • Waiting is charged at $25 hourly
  • Seniors and military personnel are eligible for a 20% discount
  • Uber is $20 SMF - downtown
  • SMF - Roseville approx. $80
  • See SMF TaxiFareFinder for more fares

To / from the Arden area, 12 miles, approximately:
  • Bus Service 17.00 USD
  • Limousine 75.00 USD
  • SuperShuttle (Executive Premier Limo Inc.)
  • Rental Car 40.00 USD
  • Taxi 50.00 USD
    These prices are approximate.

From downtown, 10 miles, approximately:
  • YoloBus Bus Service $2.00 USD
  • Limousine 85.00 USD
  • SuperShuttle (Executive Premier Limo Inc.)
  • Taxi 35.00 USD
  • Uber, $20.00 USD

SHUTTLE SERVICE

SuperShuttle serves Sacramento International Airport via Executive Premier Limo Inc. The options offered are non-stop shuttle vans, not shared rides, and black car service.

BUS

Sacramento, Davis and Woodland, Yolo County

Yolo County Transportation District's Yolobus offers two routes, 42A (clockwise) and 42B (counterclockwise) that connect SMF to Sacramento, Davis and Woodland (clockwise) and the reverse. Service is approximately hourly beginning at 5:24 AM and ending at 10:22 PM at SMF. PDF schedules etc. here, and fares and passes information is here.

These also offer the option of connecting with AMTRAK's California Capitol services to the SF Bay area at the Davis or Sacramento AMTRAK stations. Check here and here for California Capitol schedules, ticket prices, etc.

Sacramento Regional Transit District serves Sacramento International Airport as of January, 2020 via SacRT’s Airport Express Bus, Route 142, offering direct service between downtown Sacramento and Terminals A and B. Route 142 operates every 60 minutes, seven days a week. The current operating hours are between 5:15am (first downtown departure) and 10:33pm (last airport departure). They hope to restore the service to every 30 minutes on August 28, 2022. The fare is $2.50 for a single ride, $1.25 for discounted eligible riders and free for students in grades TK through 12.

RENTAL CARS and FUEL

All rental car companies at Sacramento International Airport are located at the central rental car terminal. Take the Rental Car Terminal Shuttle busses for acccess to all on-airport rental car agencies listed:

Rental Car Agencies
  • Advance Rent A Car ** (916) 442-1362
  • Alamo (800) 327-9633
  • Avis (916) 922-5601
  • Budget (800) 763-2999
  • Dollar (800) 800-4000
  • Enterprise (800) 736-8227
  • Hertz (800) 654-3131
  • National (800) 227-7366
  • Payless Car Rental ** (800) 729-5377

* *Off airport fleet

Gasoline Station

There is an ARCO station near the entrance to the airport, #22 on the map, to top up your rental vehicle.

AIRPORT LOUNGES AT SMF

Each terminal has an Escape Lounge, accessible by membership, $43.10 per person fee or American Express Platinum Card members (who may guest in up to two others)

LODGING NEAR SMF

The Host Airport Hotel at Sacramento International Airport (across from the old Terminal B complex) closed July 31, 2008, to make way for the new Terminal B construction. A new 135 room Hyatt Place was to be built adjacent to the parking garage, but that may not happen. In the meantime:

Several hotels do provide complimentary shuttle services to / from SMF airport.

Hotels providing shuttle services include
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites – 10 miles
  • Four Points by Sheraton – 8 miles
  • Hampton Inn – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hampton Inn - Woodland – 10 miles
  • Holiday Inn Express – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hilton Garden Inn S. Natomas – 11 miles (my go-to hotel, free overnight and ~up to 10 days parking, free hourly airport shuttle)
  • Homewood Suites by Hilton - 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • La Quinta Inn – 11 miles
  • Quality Inn Natomas – 12 miles
  • Ramada Limited – 11 miles
  • Vagabond Executive – 12 miles

OTHER AIRPORT SERVICES

Lost and Found"The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, Airport Division manages the lost and found program at Sacramento International Airport. Please visit the Lost & Found Web page to report your lost item. Please call (916) 874.0701 and leave a detailed message concerning your lost object. The Sheriffs frequently listen to these messages and will return your call if they have the object. If the item has been lost on board an aircraft, please contact your airline directly."

Paging "Paging is managed by the Sacramento International Airport Communications Center. Please call (916) 929.5411 and press the appropriate prompt key to reach the operator."

WiFi / Wireless Internet - FlySacramento is the net name you should use. You will be required to watch a brief advert for free WiFi."Sacramento International Airport has free wireless Internet (WiFi) service throughout the indoor, public areas of the airport. SMF’s Wi-Fi network has 4 T1 connection, which provides users with speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps. The Wi-Fi 802.11b/g technology allows for speeds up to 54 Mbps, but throughput is governed by the speed at which the device is connected."

Contact Information:

Sacramento International Airport
6900 Airport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95837
(916) 929.5411
air-market <at> saccounty.net

Pilot Information link

Airport FAQ link

Typical Nonstop Destinations from SMF will change) (Use SMF Flight Search for more information)Atlanta, GA
Baltimore, MD
Boise, ID
Burbank, CA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago (Midway), IL
Chicago (O’Hare), IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Guadalajara, Mexico
Honolulu, HI
Houston (Intercontinental), TX
Las Vegas, NV
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Los Cabos, Mexico (2017)
Maui (Kahului), HI
Mexico City, Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
New York (JFK), NY
Ontario, CA
Orange County, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Washington, D.C.

Please use SMF Flight Search to find nonstop and direct flights to your destination or return.

Print Wikipost

Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread

Old May 24, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Gallus1
Flying out of Sacramento tomorrow morning and can’t find an Uber or taxi for 7am pick up. Any advice please
I would try calling a local hotel and asking if they can recommend a taxi service. One of them should be able to accommodate you. You may also want to try to use an online service like Blacklane to reserve a car if you can't find any alternatives.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP does not have a lot of luggage and is staying in Downtown Sacramento, Yolobus Route 42B or Sacramento Regional Transit Route 142 might work:

https://yolobus.com/route/route-42b/

142 - AIRPORT

Each has an early morning departure that arrives at the airport by about 5:30 am.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Sacramento Regional Transit District serves Sacramento International Airport via SacRT’s Airport Express Bus, Route 142, offering direct service between downtown Sacramento and Terminals A and B.

Route 142 operates every 60 minutes, seven days a week.

The current operating hours are between 5:15am (first downtown departure) and 10:33pm (last airport departure).

The fare is $2.50 for a single ride.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Recently relocated my office so now I am now equal distance to SAC, SFO, OAK, and even STS. In the past my go to airports were SFO and OAK and occasional SJC. I am new to this thread and will check out some of the above posts but I recently booked some flight out of SAC on UA which seemed better priced than OAK or SFO so that was a plus. I suspect parking is cheaper at SAC as well but don't know. Curious about upgrade availability (UA mostly) out of SAC compared to SFO for example where upgrades can be as rare as hen's teeth on UA. Any and all info from seasoned SAC users would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Recently relocated my office so now I am now equal distance to SAC, SFO, OAK, and even STS. In the past my go to airports were SFO and OAK and occasional SJC. I am new to this thread and will check out some of the above posts but I recently booked some flight out of SAC on UA which seemed better priced than OAK or SFO so that was a plus. I suspect parking is cheaper at SAC as well but don't know. Curious about upgrade availability (UA mostly) out of SAC compared to SFO for example where upgrades can be as rare as hen's teeth on UA. Any and all info from seasoned SAC users would be much appreciated.
As an MVP gold 100k on Alaska I have a 100% success rate for upgrades and 40% or so on AA. Don’t fly UA much though.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nomad420
Prior to the pandemic, we flew weekly to SMF.
Two tips on parking at SMF:

-we use the "Daily Lot-Terminals A & B" parking lot ($12/day) instead of the economy lot ($10/day) because you can walk to the daily lot from either terminal by walking through the multi-story parking garage. No need to wait for a shuttle bus and to hoist your luggage on and off the bus.

- if you do choose to park in the economy lot, park near the entrance to the rental car terminal and use the rental car shuttle to save time. You will have to cross an access road without a crosswalk, but you will occasionally be in the company of other seasoned SMF parkers.

Update 10/2022--> The SMF board has voted to increase parking rates by 5% per year over the next five years. Here are the projected rates for the 5th year:
  • Economy lot: $10 per day currently, $13.50 over the next five years
  • Daily Lot: $12 per day currently, $15.75 over the next five years
  • Garage Lot: $18 per day currently, $23.50
  • Hourly Lot: $29 currently, $37.75 over the next five years
abaheti and nomad420 like this.

Last edited by dlaue; Oct 30, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dlaue
Prior to the pandemic, we flew weekly to SMF.
Two tips on parking at SMF:

-we use the "Daily Lot-Terminals A & B" parking lot ($12/day) instead of the economy lot ($10/day) because you can walk to the daily lot from either terminal by walking through the multi-story parking garage. No need to wait for a shuttle bus and to hoist your luggage on and off the bus.

- if you do choose to park in the economy lot, park near the entrance to the rental car terminal and use the rental car shuttle to save time. You will have to cross an access road without a crosswalk, but you will occasionally be in the company of other seasoned SMF parkers.

Update 10/2022--> The SMF board has voted to increase parking rates by 5% per year over the next five years. Here are the projected rates for the 5th year:
  • Economy lot: $10 per day currently, $13.50 over the next five years
  • Daily Lot: $12 per day currently, $15.75 over the next five years
  • Garage Lot: $18 per day currently, $23.50
  • Hourly Lot: $29 currently, $37.75 over the next five years
So sorry I didn't listen to you. Parked in economy lot B as I was gone a week. Returned to SMF on Sunday night and waited, with others, nearly 45mins for a shuttle!! Unacceptable. People flagged down a A lot bus and basically hijacked it and forced it to go to the B lot. No real explanation given as to what happened but I will NEVER park in the Economy lot again!. In fact it will probably be a long time before I use SMF again as my experience was less than satisfying in so many other ways as well. Recently moved so I am now equidistant to OAK/SFO/ and even Santa Rosa so I have choices and SMF is currently on my sh@t list!
abaheti likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:44 am

Sacramento airport to undergo $1.3 billion expansion

SMF has plans to add gates, parking, and pedestrian walkways.

SMF will also relocate the rental car facility so that busses are no longer needed for access.
This is a major improvement as the bus system has been underperforming lately.
NOTE TO AIRPORT PLANNERS: The best architectural design does not involve bussing passengers. And if you must use busses, please design the entry/exit points so that luggage can be rolled on and off. No more lifting up stairs.

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacrame...rward/42735497
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hat tip to GW McLintock who posted in another forum:

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Paging PV_Premier

-J.
David
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Sacramento Metropolitan Field (SMF) is hitting the big time!
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Sacramento Metropolitan Field (SMF) is hitting the big time!
This is all very exciting. As I've never departed SMF, and only had one arrival there, at some 1985-1988 time point, I think I will await completion of this project before my next visit, you know, to avoid disappointment
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Will be some nice improvements especially the alternate entrance. Hopefully the lounge space gets expanded.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:04 am

More construction at Sacramento Airport.

Two 4-way boulevard stops are going to be replaced by roundabouts.
Construction has begun and will be completed July 24.
This will likely speed up traffic and, I think, will lesson the confusion about where to turn left to access the I5 freeway from
rental car pickup and economy parking.

https://sacramento.aero/scas/about/n...vel-experience
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dlaue
More construction at Sacramento Airport.

Two 4-way boulevard stops are going to be replaced by roundabouts.
Construction has begun and will be completed July 24.
This will likely speed up traffic and, I think, will lesson the confusion about where to turn left to access the I5 freeway from
rental car pickup and economy parking.

https://sacramento.aero/scas/about/n...vel-experience
Personally, I doubt it. There's always been confusion with folks trying to navigate roundabouts - and the drivers of rental cars (of which I've been one many times at SMF and had to deal with them) are completely clueless navigating the airport.

David
dlaue likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Personally, I doubt it. There's always been confusion with folks trying to navigate roundabouts - and the drivers of rental cars (of which I've been one many times at SMF and had to deal with them) are completely clueless navigating the airport.

David
Unfortunately the roundabouts are physically complete, but there is a definite lack of signs to direct the traffic. This is especially bad when exiting the airport after renting a car. You will be entering the second roundabout at the 6pm position and leaving at the 9pm position to make your way to the I5 freeway. I keep expecting better signs (or ANY helpful signs), but have been disappointed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.