Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread

Sacramento International Airport / SMF - the definitive thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 17, 12:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Sacramento International Airport - SMF / KSMF
Sacramento County, California

N.B. There is a discussion and preview thread about SMF Terminal B here.

GOING TO SMF

DRIVING TO SMF VIA PRIVATE / RENTED VEHICLE

SMF is 10 miles northwest of Sacramento immediately north of Interstate 5 (connects San Diego to Seattle). (Note: there is an on-airport gasoline / petrol station for those renting from SMF.)

From San Francisco or Lake Tahoe, use I-80 to I-5 northbound (Woodland and Seattle). From Stockton use I-5 (or US 99 connecting to I-5 via I-80 westbound) northbound. From I-5 north the airport is 10 miles "southbound" (east) of Woodland. The airport is 0.5 miles north of the Interstate 5 on Airport Boulevard.

For GPS, use the address 6900 Airport Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95837

SMF / KSMF / Sacramento International Airport website: link

Exiting north from I-5, proceed according to the map:

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "A"

Follow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard East - a one way multi-lane road running counterclockwise will take you to an area you can stop and drop off or pick up passengers. Parking or stopping for any length of time to wait is prohibited; the Sheriffs are quite quick to get you to move on. A free cellular / mobile phone lot at the airport entry, west side, is the best place to stop to wait for arriving passengers to call drivers.

GETTING TO AND FROM TERMINAL "B"

Folow signage and keep to Airport Boulevard West - the new terminal includes a two level roadway, running clockwise. The upper level is for departures and the lower level serves arriving passengers and baggage claim. Passengers departing or arriving on Southwest will find it easiest to use the West side; those using all other airlines will find it easier using the East side.

GETTING AROUND SMF

Courtesy shuttle busses travel four routes: between terminals, to parking lots (daily and economy are separate) and to the rental car center. These are all accessible. One can walk or use a wheelchair between terminals, which are connected via the parking garage - but note that though the garage has a ceiling, it is not enclosed fully.

SECURITY at SMF / Sacramento International Airport

Currently, there are Priority lines at SMF - Terminal A; at Terminal B it is on your far left, separate from the non-priority queue entries. There are now TSA PreCheck queues at both SMF terminals (October 17 2013); the SMF website does offer indications of how long it is taking to transit security.

Terminal A has PreCheck,

Terminal B:
-Along the far left wall is the known crewmember checkpoint
-In the middle are two lines: PreCheck, which splits off to the left, and general boarding, which splits off to the right.
-Along the far right wall is the Premier/First Class/Business Select/etc line.

For international arrivals there are now Global Entry kiosks.

PARKING

Parking varies considerably, from the parking garage to "economy" lots; best thing for current information is to visit the SMF parking map and click on the appropriate garage / lot number for current rates.

"Cell phone lot" / waiting area: This area offers free parking for a short period of time for occupied vehicles whose occupants are waiting for passengers, who can call them when they arrive. This allows comfortable waiting within five minutes of any terminal, without causing congestion (and inviting a ticket from the officers patrolling the arrivals area, where waiting is not permitted).

TRANSPORTATION to/from SMF / Sacramento International Airport

TAXIS (SITOA airport authorized taxis at SMF) in Sacramento charge
  • $3 flag drop, $2.50 for each additional mile
  • Rate to wait is $25 per hour
  • One way SMF to Sacramento downtown is $33.00
  • Round-trip between SMF and downtown Sacramento is $66.00
  • Waiting is charged at $25 hourly
  • Seniors and military personnel are eligible for a 20% discount
  • Uber is $20 SMF - downtown
  • SMF - Roseville approx. $80
  • See SMF TaxiFareFinder for more fares
To / from the Arden area, 12 miles, approximately:
  • Bus Service 17.00 USD
  • Limousine 75.00 USD
  • Super Shuttle (blue van) 17.00 USD
  • Rental Car 40.00 USD
  • Taxi 50.00 USD
    These prices are approximate.
From downtown, 10 miles, approximately:
  • YoloBus Bus Service $2.00 USD
  • Limousine 85.00 USD
  • Super Shuttle 13.00 USD
  • Taxi 35.00 USD
  • Uber, $20.00 USD
SHUTTLE SERVICE

Exclusive van shuttle service to / from the airport is provided by SuperShuttle shared ride service. SuperShuttle to/from downtown is $15.00 per person one way, $45 for the entire van, and $50.00 for limo sedan. Use the web site or call (800) BLUE-VAN (+1.800.258.3826), or arrange on arrival at the SuperShuttle counter. (2016)

BUS

Sacramento, Davis and Woodland, Yolo County

Yolo County Transportation District's Yolobus offers two routes, 42A (clockwise) and 42B (counterclockwise) that connect SMF to Sacramento, Davis and Woodland (clockwise) and the reverse. Service is approximately hourly beginning at 5:24 AM and ending at 10:22 PM at SMF. PDF schedules etc. here, and fares and passes information is here.

These also offer the option of connecting with AMTRAK's California Capitol services to the SF Bay area at the Davis or Sacramento AMTRAK stations. Check here and here for California Capitol schedules, ticket prices, etc.

N.B. Sacramento Regional Transit does not serve Sacramento International Airport.

RENTAL CARS and FUEL

All rental car companies at Sacramento International Airport are located at the central rental car terminal. Take the Rental Car Terminal Shuttle busses for acccess to all on-airport rental car agencies listed:

Rental Car Agencies
  • Advance Rent A Car ** (916) 442-1362
  • Alamo (800) 327-9633
  • Avis (916) 922-5601
  • Budget (800) 763-2999
  • Dollar (800) 800-4000
  • Enterprise (800) 736-8227
  • Hertz (800) 654-3131
  • National (800) 227-7366
  • Payless Car Rental ** (800) 729-5377
* *Off airport fleet

Gasoline Station

There is an ARCO station near the entrance to the airport, #22 on the map, to top up your rental vehicle.

LODGING NEAR SMF

The Host Airport Hotel at Sacramento International Airport (across from the old Terminal B complex) closed July 31, 2008, to make way for the new Terminal B construction. A new 135 room Hyatt Place will be built adjacent to the parking garage, but will not be open until ~2017 (announced 23 Jan 2015). In the meantime:

Several hotels do provide complimentary shuttle services to / from SMF airport.

Hotels providing shuttle services include
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites – 10 miles
  • Four Points by Sheraton – 8 miles
  • Hampton Inn – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hampton Inn - Woodland – 10 miles
  • Holiday Inn Express – 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • Hilton Garden Inn S. Natomas – 11 miles (my go-to hotel, free overnight and ~up to 10 days parking, free hourly airport shuttle)
  • Homewood Suites by Hilton - 7 miles (N. Natomas)
  • La Quinta Inn – 11 miles
  • Quality Inn Natomas – 12 miles
  • Ramada Limited – 11 miles
  • Vagabond Executive – 12 miles

OTHER AIRPORT SERVICES

Lost and Found
"The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, Airport Division manages the lost and found program at Sacramento International Airport. Please visit the Lost & Found Web page to report your lost item. Please call (916) 874.0701 and leave a detailed message concerning your lost object. The Sheriffs frequently listen to these messages and will return your call if they have the object. If the item has been lost on board an aircraft, please contact your airline directly."
Paging
"Paging is managed by the Sacramento International Airport Communications Center. Please call (916) 929.5411 and press the appropriate prompt key to reach the operator."
WiFi / Wireless Internet - FlySacramento is the net name you should use. You will be required to watch a brief advert for free WiFi.
"Sacramento International Airport has free wireless Internet (WiFi) service throughout the indoor, public areas of the airport. SMF’s Wi-Fi network has 4 T1 connection, which provides users with speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps. The Wi-Fi 802.11b/g technology allows for speeds up to 54 Mbps, but throughput is governed by the speed at which the device is connected."
Contact Information:

Sacramento International Airport
6900 Airport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95837
(916) 929.5411
air-market <at> saccounty.net

Pilot Information link

Airport FAQ link

Typical Nonstop Destinations from SMF will change) (Use SMF Flight Search for more information)
Atlanta, GA
Baltimore, MD
Boise, ID
Burbank, CA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago (Midway), IL
Chicago (O’Hare), IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Guadalajara, Mexico
Honolulu, HI
Houston (Intercontinental), TX
Las Vegas, NV
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Los Cabos, Mexico (2017)
Maui (Kahului), HI
Mexico City, Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
New York (JFK), NY
Ontario, CA
Orange County, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
Salt Lake City, UT
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Washington, D.C.
Please use SMF Flight Search to find nonstop and direct flights to your destination or return.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 17, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I think the First/Business Select line is on the right. Pre on the left, general in the middle, First on the right. Either that or First and Pre are next to each other on the left. I'm 99% sure there is a First/BS dedicated line somewhere.
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:06 pm

Also if you dont mind, please report back as to how your experience going through the airport in a wheelchair goes. It'd be a great data point for future travelers.
Old Dec 24, 17, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I think the First/Business Select line is on the right. Pre on the left, general in the middle, First on the right. Either that or First and Pre are next to each other on the left. I'm 99% sure there is a First/BS dedicated line somewhere.
Just landed at SMF and I was almost right...

-Along the far left wall is the known crewmember checkpoint
-In the middle are two lines: PreCheck, which splits off to the left, and general boarding, which splits off to the right.
-Along the far right wall is the Premier/First Class/Business Select/etc line.
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:57 am

Saw this the other day
Sacramento airport woos European air carriers for nonstop flights | The Sacramento Bee
Their offer: Bring us an international flight –nonstop across the Atlantic – and we’ll let you fly rent-free out of California’s capital for two years.

Sacramento has talked recently with several cross-Atlantic carriers, including Norwegian Air Shuttle, which already flies out of Oakland, as well as Condor Airlines of Germany, and Wow Air,
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:26 pm

Oh, I hope SMF gets some nonstop European flights!
Old Jan 14, 18, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
was also covered by KCRA this past week. Gotta start somewhere but TATL on an LCC isn't particularly interesting to me.
Old Jan 14, 18, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post

was also covered by KCRA this past week. Gotta start somewhere but TATL on an LCC isn't particularly interesting to me.
I've flown FI Saga Class. I'd take that for the convenience alone. For the 7 hour flight to KEF, the cabin experience is acceptable to me. YMMV.
True LLC coach? Nope.
Old Jan 25, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: AA US
Apologies if this has already been covered ... Is SMF a realistic airport choice if my final destination is Walnut Creek? Last time through SFO it took me 4 hours to get to Walnut Creek (bad timing - gridlock from SFO to the east end of the Caldecott). Walnut Creek is about 2 hours from SMF, yes?
Old Jan 25, 18, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Apologies if this has already been covered ... Is SMF a realistic airport choice if my final destination is Walnut Creek? Last time through SFO it took me 4 hours to get to Walnut Creek (bad timing - gridlock from SFO to the east end of the Caldecott). Walnut Creek is about 2 hours from SMF, yes?
Yes it's 2 hours generally speaking but I-80 can also have a lot of traffic through Vacaville, Fairfield, at certain times of day. So, it depends heavily on the time of day you need to drive to/from the airport.

OAK is the closest airport, you just pop over the hills on CA-24 and you're pretty much there. SJC is viable also depending on the time of day. Since it looks like you fly AA, I'd just book into OAK via PHX if it is a viable connection for you.
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by RobS View Post
If you'll be arriving during the afternoon commute then consider SMF, but otherwise I would use OAK as my first choice. If you're arriving Sunday afternoon/evening don't even think about SMF.

No traffic SMF-WC is about 1hr 10min; OAK-WC is about 35 min.
Old Jan 25, 18, 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tips.
Old Jan 26, 18, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
Yes it's 2 hours generally speaking but I-80 can also have a lot of traffic through Vacaville, Fairfield, at certain times of day. So, it depends heavily on the time of day you need to drive to/from the airport.

OAK is the closest airport, you just pop over the hills on CA-24 and you're pretty much there. SJC is viable also depending on the time of day. Since it looks like you fly AA, I'd just book into OAK via PHX if it is a viable connection for you.
I would fly OAK without a second thought. For WC, I'd also cut across Oakland to go up the hill (up 98th Ave. or Hegenberger Road - both turn into other streets) to 580 to 13 to 24.
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
For WC, I'd also cut across Oakland to go up the hill (up 98th Ave. or Hegenberger Road - both turn into other streets) to 580 to 13 to 24.
This sounds the best. In the good old days when I lived in Alameda, I used to know how to do it via Redwood and Skyline to Moraga and avoid the tunnel entirely,

Last edited by RobS; Jan 27, 18 at 12:48 am
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Airport Lounges coming to SMF?

Today's Sacramento Bee states the airport had put out a request for bids for airport Lounges in both terminals A and B. The space used would be space that has leases expiring in November 2018 or January 2019, and the Lounges would be appro:

Terminal A: up to 2,151 sq ft

Terminal B: up to 1,397 sq ft

The bids would be evaluated and results published in June 2018.

The lounge operator would have to pay development of at least $350/sq ft at least $40/sq ft in refurbishment after five years as well as unspecified rent.

I wonder if we might actually see, for example, The Escape lounges at SMF, as there is at OAK? Nice bonus for AMEX Platinum members, etc.

New lounges planned for both Sacramento International Airport terminals, by Benjy Egel, 29 Jan 2018 link
abaheti likes this.
Old Jan 29, 18, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Today's Sacramento Bee states the airport had put out a request for bids for airport Lounges in both terminals A and B. The space used would be space that has leases expiring in November 2018 or January 2019, and the Lounges would be appro:

Terminal A: up to 2,151 sq ft

Terminal B: up to 1,397 sq ft

The bids would be evaluated and results published in June 2018.

The lounge operator would have to pay development of at least $350/sq ft at least $40/sq ft in refurbishment after five years as well as unspecified rent.

I wonder if we might actually see, for example, The Escape lounges at SMF, as there is at OAK? Nice bonus for AMEX Platinum members, etc.

New lounges planned for both Sacramento International Airport terminals, by Benjy Egel, 29 Jan 2018 link
Would make a lot of sense given the significant growth in passenger counts the airport has seen in the past 24 months or so.

Search this Thread