Liability insurance on Rental Car in California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liability insurance on Rental Car in California

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
I fully appreciate your position; however, others may be differently situated.

In California, rental car companies provide only the minimum legally required liability insurance, which is 15/30/5. That translates to $15,000 for bodily injury, with a maximum of $30,000 per accident with multiple victims, and $5,000 in property damage. That is grossly inadequate.

A renter who has no primary or secondary auto insurance who gets into an accident where the damages exceed the rental company provided liability coverage may end up suing the rental company for not properly warning him or her about the need to be properly insured.
I agree with your assessment..

My brother got into an accident where the person who rear ended him had inadequate insurance.. and then the rental car company called him up asking him to pay the additional $4,000 that wasn't covered by the perpertrators insurance..

This happened just leaving LAX..

So yes, it was a bit of a hassle for my brother, even though he was not at fault.. but why try to pin it on a renter who's not at fault?.. go after the perpetrator..
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
My brother got into an accident where the person who rear ended him had inadequate insurance.. and then the rental car company called him up asking him to pay the additional $4,000 that wasn't covered by the perpertrators insurance..
Higher liability limits would not have helped your brother in this case. Such damage is covered by collision insurance and loss damage waiver. Liability insurance covers damage to third parties when the renter is at fault.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear what the last two posters are saying -- but let me ask you this question: just take the amount quoted by the insurance company and multiply it by 365 to get an annual rate. The amount is absurdly high, right? If you're really worried about this, some credit card companies will sell you either liability or collision rental car coverage (or both) at a ridiculous, but still significantly lower, price.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (htc Evo 4G: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you own a car and have insurance, your carrier will most likely cover you up to the policy limits when you drive a rental. In addition, most credit card issuers offer free secondary liability, collision and comprehensive insurance when you use one of their gold or platinum cards to pay for your rental car.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Higher liability limits would not have helped your brother in this case. Such damage is covered by collision insurance and loss damage waiver. Liability insurance covers damage to third parties when the renter is at fault.
Higher liability limits would have helped..

but the person who rear ended my brother should have taken more out was my point..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:09 pm

Higher liability limits would have helped..

but the person who rear ended my brother should have taken more out was my point..
Was the person who rear ended your brother driving a rental?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:59 am
Suspended

Was the person who rear ended your brother driving a rental?
Not sure.. but they did have insurance..

although it was $4K short of covering the necessary repairs on the rear end..
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:55 pm

OK, I think I got it; higher liability coverage for the person at fault, not your brother who was driving a rental car.

Your brother would have been protected had he purchased CDW or LDW, which is outrageously expensive (and which I always decline because my automobile insurance covers me when I drive rentals and I always pay for car rentals a credit card which offers secondary insurance).

The OP was upset that his rental company pressured him to buy liability insurance. That type of extra protection would not have helped your brother in the situation that you described had he bought it when he rented the car. Liability insurance covers at fault drivers against claims by third parties.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:41 pm
Suspended

OK, I think I got it; higher liability coverage for the person at fault, not your brother who was driving a rental car.

Your brother would have been protected had he purchased CDW or LDW, which is outrageously expensive (and which I always decline because my automobile insurance covers me when I drive rentals and I always pay for car rentals a credit card which offers secondary insurance).

The OP was upset that his rental company pressured him to buy liability insurance. That type of extra protection would not have helped your brother in the situation that you described had he bought it when he rented the car. Liability insurance covers at fault drivers against claims by third parties.
Now he avoids Alamo unfortunately.. because Alamo called him a few times saying that he should cover their shortfall because the guy at fault didn't have enough insurance.

Goes to show, you can be really prepared.. and Murphy's Law seems to get you every time..
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Now he avoids Alamo unfortunately.. because Alamo called him a few times saying that he should cover their shortfall because the guy at fault didn't have enough insurance.
Why do you think it should be Alamo's problem? It's your brother's problem, he brought back the damaged car. All Alamo wants is to fund its repair.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjclancy
Why do you think it should be Alamo's problem? It's your brother's problem, he brought back the damaged car. All Alamo wants is to fund its repair.
Actually its the guy who rear ended my brother's problem.. my brother did not cause the accident..

Its only because the guy who rear ended my brother did not have enough insurance, that Alamo approached my brother.. Alamo should be going after the guy who rear ended my brother..
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:06 pm

Actually its the guy who rear ended my brother's problem.. my brother did not cause the accident..

Its only because the guy who rear ended my brother did not have enough insurance, that Alamo approached my brother.. Alamo should be going after the guy who rear ended my brother..
Check the rental contract. It's your brother's cost to fix the car; he's welcome to pursue the guy who caused the accident, but Alamo is right to bill the renter.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Check the rental contract. It's your brother's cost to fix the car; he's welcome to pursue the guy who caused the accident, but Alamo is right to bill the renter.
My brother has insurance to cover it with the renter.. so my guess is that Alamo's deal is then with their insurance..
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:20 pm

My brother has insurance to cover it with the renter.. so my guess is that Alamo's deal is then with their insurance..
No, you still misunderstand. Alamo's "deal" is between him & your brother. That's it.

The rental contract says your brother reimburses Alamo for any damage.
Alamo is billing your brother for the damage.
How your brother comes up with it is up to him -- he can use his insurance, or pay himself.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:24 pm
Suspended

No, you still misunderstand. Alamo's "deal" is between him & your brother. That's it.

The rental contract says your brother reimburses Alamo for any damage.
Alamo is billing your brother for the damage.
How your brother comes up with it is up to him -- he can use his insurance, or pay himself.
I'll talk to my brother about it I guess..

So interesting..

You're saying even if you buy insurance from the rental car company.. its' not covered.. and you have to deal with the insurance like its third party.. Not only is the cost approximately $30 per day.. but you have to deal with the insurance company seperately.. wow..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.