FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california-450/)
-   -   Lunch for Conference Speakers in San Diego? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/1242266-lunch-conference-speakers-san-diego.html)

drscoop Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Lunch for Conference Speakers in San Diego?

I've been asked to organise a lunch for speakers at an upcoming meeting at the San Diego Convention Center. There'll be about 8 speakers from the US and Europe and the budget will be absolute max of $50 per head, which needs to include drinks, gratuities etc. Having never eaten in San Diego, I have no idea of appropriate, decent plaes to eat.

Would very much appreciate any recommendations? Unaware at this stage of any special dietary requirements.

Also, on a related note; is there any sensible way of getting from the Convention Center to George's on the Cove at La Jolla without a car? Have been previously and would quite like to go again, but will not have any transport....

Emeraldcity Jul 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by drscoop (Post 16823922)
I've been asked to organise a lunch for speakers at an upcoming meeting at the San Diego Convention Center. There'll be about 8 speakers from the US and Europe and the budget will be absolute max of $50 per head, which needs to include drinks, gratuities etc. Having never eaten in San Diego, I have no idea of appropriate, decent plaes to eat.

Would very much appreciate any recommendations? Unaware at this stage of any special dietary requirements.

Also, on a related note; is there any sensible way of getting from the Convention Center to George's on the Cove at La Jolla without a car? Have been previously and would quite like to go again, but will not have any transport....

Regarding George's......no....

As for restaurants, walking distance from the convention center you have the whole gas lamp district, you can do a restaurant search for the gas lamp.
Also, just behind the Marriott (which is next door to the convention center) is Seaport Village. Another area that is walking distance, there are a couple places in there that would be nice. Sally's or The Edgewater are quite good.

FrAAmer Jul 30, 2011 8:09 am

You don't say if you are required to get your guests to the restaurant or not or how much time you have before during and after the luncheon.....Getting to/from the restaurants in the Gaslamp by foot could consume a significant amount of time and you would need at least three taxis.

The Marriott, Hyatt, and the Hilton Bayfront all have excellent food and are within walking distance to the convention center. They have excellent views and are capable of hosting a group of that size with no effort. A party of 8 or more may be a challenge for many of the Gaslamp restaurants if you want a quiet, private setting - though there are many excellent restaurants in the Gaslamp. A hotel could also create a special menu of three choices for entres, etc. That would streamline the ordering process and fix your budget.

drscoop Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

We probably have a couple of hours for lunch so the half mile stroll to the Gaslamp district would probably be OK.

I'll certainly look up the places suggested so far......

dbuckho Jul 30, 2011 3:51 pm

I have been a speaker at the San Diego convention center/Grand Hyatt center twice and attended other events down there. Typically sponsored dinners are over in the Gaslamp district, but lunches are closer so you are not late getting back. When I was at the Hyatt, went to both The Edgewater and Buster's Beach House in Seaport Village for lunch. From the convention center, went to Roy's and Joe's Crab Shack as they were closer.

SWCPHX Aug 2, 2011 8:37 pm

Why don't you see about using one of the restaurants in Petco Park such as the Baja Bistro or the Pacific Coast League? Both offer some really neat views of the harbor area and are very close to the Convention Center.

SoCal Aug 3, 2011 8:26 am

First of all, you should narrow down the type of restaurant you want. "Appropriate" and "decent" are extremely broad terms. I'd start contacting restaurants directly and ask about your options given your price limit and the fact that you want it to include drinks and gratuities (and dessert?). I think you want a fixed menu. A couple of hours may not be that long when it comes to a group, especially if people are going to each decide there what to eat, and start to talking, etc.

The somewhat upscale Fish Market restaurant, with two floors having different menus, is good and has a nice location, almost next to the USS Midway. Here's a sample lunch menu: http://www.thefishmarket.com/menus/d...s/sd_lunch.pdf. It's not a long walk from the convention center but you may want someplace closer. Many restaurants add a fixed gratuity of 20% or so for groups over a certain size. Your group isn't very large, but some restaurants might be willing to provide a fixed price meal, with a limited choice of menu otions, so you have a better idea in advance what it will cost, no matter what individuals choose (e.g., someone chooses the lobster or drinks booze and you could have problems). I would think liquor would not be included in what you're expected to arrange; that they'd doon your own. If it is included, then the variables skyrocket.

There are a few restaurants virtually across the street from the convention center, next to the Omni Hotel. If you contact the convention organizers and/or convention center administration, I bet they'd have a list. The convention center may even be able to arrange a small luncheon on site. You're certainly not the first person to have to organize a group meal there.

Danthecran Aug 10, 2011 6:05 pm

For closeness I would look at Lou and Mickeys or McCormick & Schmick's, both are right across the street.

http://www.louandmickeys.com/

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/...a/LStreet.aspx

Theres a lot of other options, maybe just look at google maps and start at 5th and north harbor drive and go up.

Theres also Nobu if theres sushi eaters in the hard rock really close by, and if you have time the strip club could be fun.

drscoop Apr 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks all, for the suggestions. I thought I'd follow up and say we had a very successful lunch at Roy's, who were easily the most interactive in terms of accomodating our budgets etc.

JDiver Apr 16, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing your feedback!