Legoland, yah, or Nay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legoland, yah, or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
We went two years ago, and my kids (4 and 6 at the time) loved it. When we asked last week, what they wanted to see if we went back to Southern California (they don't know we've already bought the plane tickets), they both yelled "Legoland!" I was going to skip Legoland this year and get a 3-day Park Hopper, but now my plans have changed.

If you do some searching on the internet, you can find BOGO codes, which makes tickets pretty cheap.

Edited to add...

Picked up two adult and two children tickets for $166 ($41.50/person). Had to make two separate orders using the Home Depot and Wendy's links on this web page.
Second day at Lego Land Windsor was like 5 pounds each, so we came back and explored the rest of the park. I imagine Orlando, and San Diego Lego Land has a second day nominal rate difference offered as well, or an annual pass that's really close in price.. just as the Windsor UK Lego Land had last year?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Second day at Lego Land Windsor was like 5 pounds each, so we came back and explored the rest of the park. I imagine Orlando, and San Diego Lego Land has a second day nominal rate difference offered as well, or an annual pass that's really close in price.. just as the Windsor UK Lego Land had last year?
You can buy multi-day tickets for a pretty good price. We were able to see the whole park in one day (with time to spare). Maybe that won't be the case now the kids are a little older and REALLY into Legos.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:35 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Question Legoland - Is it worth it?

Yes, I did a search, and the threads are a few years old, so decided to post a new one

I am going to San Diego this summer, and was thinking of taking the kids to Legoland. My 10-year daughter loves Lego Friends, and my 4-year-old son loves making his robots that have shooting laser eyes, yes, he is very imaginative

But I've read the online reviews, and they are quite polarizing.

Some people claim is amazing, but pricey, and the other ones call it a complete rip-off

Saw a Costco card that gives you 3 days for $94.

http://www.costco.com/LEGOLAND%C2%AE...100279022.html

Not sure if we would need all that time, but it's just as expensive as a regular one day pass

We are there for a whole week, so a trip to the Zoo and the beaches are a must.

Just wondering if it's worth the price

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 days is way too much. The kids are the perfect age though. Are you going in the summer? It can be too cold for the water park many days.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:16 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
3 days is way too much. The kids are the perfect age though. Are you going in the summer? It can be too cold for the water park many days.
Going mid July
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Put me in the "total rip off" category. I grew up loving Legos, and my (at the time) 8 year-old daughter was a Lego fanatic. We were excited to go to Legoland, and now neither of us has any interest in ever returning. The rides were lame, the staff indifferent, prices for food extreme... the only fun part was seeing the models of Lego cities, and my daughter did like the Volvo driving school. Otherwise, it was a bust. Go to Disneyland instead.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:11 am

Another vote for rip-off. I've been twice. First time with adults (I know, crazy, but it was free). We all thought it was the most boring place we'd ever been. Second time with adults and kids. The kids enjoyed it, but the adult consensus was that there would be alternatives that would be just as fun and much cheaper --- a nice playground for the youngest, a science museum with hands-on exhibits, a children's museum. Three days? No.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by morphius909
Update:

Legoland was a blast...for my 5 year old.

It was pretty dead the day we went (Though sunny and warm). Zero Lineups, Zero Waits. We even went on rides over and over again because my 5 year old couldn't get enough.

It was almost creepy and sad just how vacant the park was. Im sure on a weekend or summer it;s jammed packed.

All in all, if you have kids 4-7 or 8, they'll love it. Adults-Meh, but when you see the joy in your kids face it doesn't matter.

All in all, we got their by 9:30, and by 2:00 we had hit every ride (sometimes 2-3 times) and it was a pretty relaxing day.
Thanks for the follow-up report, morphius909. We see a lot of requests for advice of this sort on FlyerTalk, but a lot fewer reports back about how things went (such reports benefit others in similar situations).

A decade ago or so, I went with my family to Legoland. I don't remember much about it. I think my girls were around 8 and 5 then. They liked Legos, but they weren't Lego enthusiasts. It was a nice day, but nothing special.

Last edited by dhuey; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
IIRC, Legoland may be free for the one who is under one year in age....
Old May 9, 2017, 8:28 am

It`ll be cute for your son, children of this age love it! And even some adults will enjoy it))) I was in Universal Studio Park last year on tour from <deleted commercial link> and I myself felt like a child and enjoyed the park. There can be the same situation.

Last edited by TWA884; May 9, 2017 at 9:09 am Reason: Commercial
Old May 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
OK, interviewed my wife and (now 16-year-old) son and have some more feedback for you:

** Son feels Legoland is best suited for kids 7 to 11. Any younger and you can't take advantage of everything on offer. Any older and it's boring.

** There are basically four categories of things to do: rides, shows, hands-on Lego building opportunities, and tours of scale models of things built out of Legos. There is a recently added water park but it's not open in January.
The RIDES are perfectly tuned for kids 7 to 11 or 12, some (like the driving thing around Lego-Town) captivated my kid when he was 9 but will be out of reach of your son at 5.
The SHOWS are mostly fine for all, especially if your kid has Bionicle or Star Wars consciousness and would be amazed to see these characters live in the flesh, or doing stunts. There are some screen / theater-type shows that might be intense for younger children.
The HANDS-ON things are great for slightly older kids (Duplo pavilion possibly good for your son too) but some require day-of-visit signup as slots are limited. There is a Mindstorms robot-building thing that is terrifically popular, but maybe aimed at kids 8-10.
The SCALE MODELS of American cities and landmarks are wonderful but kids will tire of them before adults will.
I disagree that Legoland doesn't offer much for kids under 7. We started going to Legoland parks the month my son turned 2. Get the brochure "What to Do When You're 2" at guest services, it tells you how to best manage the park with a 2 year old.

My son spent 3 hours the first day looking at Miniland. We only left there because he got hungry. He loved the climbing structures and tried every type of building opportunity for his age group. There were boat rides he loved, and another ride with horses meant for the very young.

We had the same experience a year later in Billund - he's a Lego fanatic and spent more time studying the structures (at 3) than caring about the rides.

Dollar for dollar, Legoland offers kids more opportunities to do things than Disney does - build, climbing structure, water activities. Disney is "stand in this line, take passive ride, watch passive show." Not our taste; my kid has always wanted to be doing rather than standing in line.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Might as well take advantage of this thread popping back up to ask a question I've always wondered myself--would I enjoy Legoland?

Single, no kids. But I was a Lego fanatic growing up and, heck, still think about pulling my old Lego sets out from the tub in the basement and putting them back together someday. Lego models of things always make me stop and stare whenever I encounter them in malls or at airports or the like.

I have a long list of things to see in SoCal when I visit family there, but I'm starting to get towards the end of the list and Legoland is one of things remaining with a big ? next to it. Should I remove the ? and go, or should I strike it from the list entirely?

FWIW, articles like this make me think I'd enjoy it: http://www.adventuresbydaddy.com/201...ut-older-ones/

If I go, I'll have to remember the tip about getting admission from Costco across the street. (Though knowing Costco, it's probably admission for 2...or even 4...)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Might as well take advantage of this thread popping back up to ask a question I've always wondered myself--would I enjoy Legoland?

Single, no kids. But I was a Lego fanatic growing up and, heck, still think about pulling my old Lego sets out from the tub in the basement and putting them back together someday. Lego models of things always make me stop and stare whenever I encounter them in malls or at airports or the like.
Well, I liked it. I've been to 3 of them now (SoCal, Billund, Florida) with my Lego fanatic offspring and even though I didn't own Legos as a kid, I did enjoy the parks. Think of them as a museum of amazingly creative Lego art and you can have a good day. Go looking for exciting rides, and well, you're in the wrong park.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:19 pm

I'm bringing this thread back to life.

Me and my wife were thinking about bringing our 2.5 year old son to Legoland in November. Not sure what the best way to get discounts are. Looks like Legoland website offers some hotel and park pass deals. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
BF took his kids aged 10 and 13. They loved it as did 50 year old BF. They are bit lego geeky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.