Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Accommodations in/near Salinas or south on Hwy 101?

Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

We are planning a few days in CA this October and I could use some help locating accommodations for a Saturday night stay. We'll be flying in/near SFO or SJC on Saturday morning and after a quick stop at two sites, plan to make the trek down to Salinas (for the John Steinbeck center) and stay the night there or at a point further south on Highway 101. Cleanliness is at the top of my list, and we tend to lean toward upscale accommodations in regards to bedding, fixtures, etc. We prefer to stay in small inns or boutique hotels, but are open to larger properties if accommodations and service are top notch.

I had considered Carmel/Monterey, but most places require a two-night stay, and we just need one night. (We will spend the day there sight-seeing later in the week.)

To give you an idea of our route so you can help advise regarding Saturday night's stop:

On Sunday morning after check-out, we'll drive down to San Luis Obispo, and then start the trek back up on Highway 1 (the main point of our trip) towards the SFO area. Sunday night staying at Cass House Inn, considering Post Ranch Inn for Monday night, Tuesday breezing through Carmel/Monterey on the drive back to SFO or SJC.

Does anyone know anything about Chateau Coralini in Salinas? The decor isn't my first pick, but they are a smaller property with positive reviews on some travel websites. Other than that, I am at a loss. Considered staying north a little ways at CordeValle, but they are booked.

We for sure want to be south of San Jose on/near Hwy 101 for Saturday night.

Thanks!

Last edited by umbrella007; Aug 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
There is a Hilton Garden Inn in Gilroy, as well as a Holiday Inn Express and Best Western in Salinas. All are AAA 3-diamond rated. There is very little I would recommend south of Salinas until you get to Paso Robles. I don't know anything about Chateau Coralini. If it were my choice, I would stay in Gilroy at the Hilton Garden Inn - it's only about 20-25 minutes north right off 101.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:12 pm

Smile Chateau Coralini

Hello!

I am a local and I'm very familiar with the Chateau. I will be getting married there next year! Honestely, the Chateau is the most beautiful, romantic place to stay. The owners, Linda and Samuel are truly amazing. They treat their guests like royalty. You will be pampered to the fullest. If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet, no fuss, good food and AMAZING rooms then the Chateau is the place to stay. It is away(but not too far away) from the "tourist" spots, which i think is nice. You are literally a few min from monterey.

I am having some family from New York come visit me soon and I will not let them stay anywhere but the Chateau.

If I had to rate the Chateau from a 1-5 i would def give it a 5+

Hope this helps!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, tolivetree, welcome to FT. Never heard of this place so it might be a real find. Sounds like a B&B rather than a hotel, though, as it has only 9 rooms. You don't have any connection to the owners, do you?

Their website doesn't list rates, at least I couldn't get it to.

Other than that, in Salinas, King City, Soledad, and Gilroy, there is nothing special -- just pick the chain hotel that best suits you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Thanks for the suggestions. To update the post in case anyone is on a similar route, we ended up shortening our itinerary and did not need accommodations in the area described, but rooms had become available at Cordevalle. With their Rosewood Escapes rates, that would have been our choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.