Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flights Toronto or New York to Bangkok???

Old Mar 11, 09, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Hello... I am new here, but it looks like a great site to get some good budget info!

I have taken a lot of fights - most recently to and all around China & Hong Kong last summer... this summer I have my sights set on Thailand with my daughter (age - almost 9), and I am having NO luck finding reasonable flights!!

We flew wit United to China last summer and home from Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific.

I have searched every airline I have ever used for Asia, Africa, N. & S. America and I am coming up cold!

I thought I would/could be able to travel to Thailand for cheaper than we got to China at pre-Olympic time.

I am in Canada close to the border to the States. I can travel from Toronto, Detroit or get a cheap jumper flight to New York.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 11, 09, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk coraclara !

Ya, BKK can be a tought one Very popular tourist destination, though much like Hawaii the tourists are way down.

I would suggest looking at airports in SEA, as there are plenty of LCCs that operate there. I made it to BKK via HKG when UA briefly reintroduced LAX-HKG and had a sale to kick it off and also via SIN when NW had a great sale a few years back.

CO is having a sale right now to MNL (though that won't help you for a summer fare), and Cebu Pacific has some cheap fares from there to BKK. Stuff like that will not be posted, you have to do your own research. That is why I got some great fares in my previous life when my job allowed for all kinds of cyber loafing

EmailKid
Old Mar 11, 09, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
www.toureast.com sometimes has good airfares to Asia
Old Mar 12, 09, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies and help... I have travelled a lot of the world and never experienced the prices I am seeing right now from N. America. Like I said, even travelling to Beijing 5 days before the Olympics last year and back from Hong Kong right after the Olympics finished, I got cheaper flights - and that was at a time that you would thing the flights to Asia were a premium!!

I have even flown Africa cheaper than the S.E. Asia flights I am seeing for this summer (rainly season at that!!)

I'll keep looking - thanks for the tips and other places to try!!

Cheers!
Old Mar 12, 09, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
When I tell people that last april I was able to book tickets from YVR and YEG to BKK, for 498 + tax (770 taxes in!!), they still dont believe me!
Old Mar 13, 09, 7:45 am
Original Poster

who did you use???
Old Mar 14, 09, 9:14 pm

NY to Hong Kong and Air Asia to Bangkok about $1000 total

Don't know how much this will save you - fares start at about $870 from NYC to HKG in the summer using a Kayak flexible search. From Hong Kong there are direct flights on Air Asia to Bangkok starting at $60 USD or so each way on the dates I looked

Hong Kong itself is well worth a visit, and I've found the hostels in Chungking Mansions to be clean and safe option despite its reputation. (A private room starts at about $20 USD/night.)
Old Mar 16, 09, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

LOVED Hong Kong!!
When my daughter and I travelled through all of China last summer, we flew home from Hong Kong - it was one of our favorite places that we have been in the world now!! I am glad to hear about the sales you saw to HK, because we would definitely have NO PROBLEM doing a quick trip there on either end.

I'll have a look - thanks for the tip!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: