Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Who here actually chooses to Budget Travel? (even though your finances are healthy)

Who here actually chooses to Budget Travel? (even though your finances are healthy)

Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
I find "budget travel" accommodations make it lots easier to connect with other travelers. I enjoy meeting others on the road and hearing what they've done in the area. When I stay in a 4* hotel, I find it much harder to strike up a converrsation with others. I also find that I'm so comfortable in my posh 4* room that I don't force myself out to explore as much--I end up staying in my sterile hotel room that could be in ANY city ANY where.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:07 pm
Original Member

I like budget travel too. Heading to Lyon, Barcelona and Languedoc in Sept. 2 Biz FF tickets. 2 nights free hotel on points in Lyon. 3 nights free hotel on points in Barcelona. Will probably pay for the other 6 nights of hotel in Catalonia and Languedoc.

But that's my definition of budget.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC, UA
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
What is budget?

True budget is staying with friends and family......
No one should underestimate this approach. Really. In today's wired world, most of us have friends and contacts around the world. If we maintain some level of connectedness with them, there is usually a spot on their sofa, a free english language guided tour with a pass to some great local food that we simply must try.

All of my best trips happened when someone was there to me meet me on the other end.

Yes, I can afford a hotel anywhere, anytime (for one night at least ) So what. Sometimes I want the anonymity of nice hotels, but if you really want to soak in a place, get a local contact.

I've never turned away someone needing/wanting a place to stay, so I'm shameless in staying with others. Consider it for yourself.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have not the words for how disturbing much of this thread is. This kind of talk is why I can't stand country clubs and sitting near rich housewives chit-chatting over coffee at Starbucks.

I guess that makes me elitist as well And the family/friends thing really does make for the best trips.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
I would like to take a Greyhound from coast to coast one day (and fly back)
Hmmm, I once rode Greyhound from Pittsburgh to Cleveland and after sitting next to a crackhead who would accuse me of calling him a Leprechuan every 15 minutes I decided I would never travel greyhound again unless life or limb were at stake
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
MflyerCVG, you win the thread!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by MflyerCVG
Hmmm, I once rode Greyhound from Pittsburgh to Cleveland and after sitting next to a crackhead who would accuse me of calling him a Leprechuan every 15 minutes I decided I would never travel greyhound again unless life or limb were at stake
I was heading from Dayton to Cincinnati on Greyhound a few years back. A kid was sniffing glue in the back of the bus. As we were passing I-275, he ran to the front of the bus demanding that the driver stop the bus as "we were in Florida." The bus driver complied and let him off on the freeway.

It is NEVER a dull moment on Greyhound.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:05 am

Absolutely

I agree with the "I prefer to pay less and travel more frequently " crowd

Mingling with locals is usually more towards the budget side and I'd prefer to do that than stay in a resort any day.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:43 pm

I love to budget travel aside from the obvious given that you'll be able to maximize meeting people. It gives me a good breather and leeway to look forward to my budget that I can maximize this vacation and get home not broke.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
I am basically hearing, "While I will point out that I COULD AFFORD to stay at luxe and upscale properties, I generally prefer to stay with the poor folks."
I don't hear this. What one could afford to do is an essential part of the question. Choosing to do something or being forced (by circumstances) to do it are completely different. And I don't hear anything about staying with "poor folks." It's staying with people who do A rather than people who do B. People who choose hosels want to rub shoulders with people who choose hostels no matter what their bank account shows. If a rich man happened to met someone at a hostel who also turned out to be rich, that wouldn't be a turn off at all.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I vary what I do.

Last few flights have been in business class compared to my usual economy. Didn't pay anywhere near full price as it's just not worth it.

Hotel wise, have spent a few nights at say the Radison which comes in at around Ł180+ a time. Really not worth it for a bed for the night especially seeing as I don't really use any of the hotel facilities. Quite happy to pay Ł29 or so for a cheap room to sleep in and the money saved goes towards another holiday or whatever (or just makes you that bit better off if you keep hold of it!)
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Smile

Going Greyhound is the greatest trip (no pun intended) you can do. I did a cross US trip back in 2008 and did a mini version again in 2009. There is never a dull moment on Greyhound but it does take time. The key for me was the Discovery Pass which is truly a hop on hop off ticket and the time to take it easy. I saved money by taking overnight bus and used points strategically to stay in hotels occasionally to clean up, sleep, shave, etc. The fact that there are several buses a day leaving and no advance tickets necessary makes it the ultimate wanderer journey. The small towns you stop at are interesting and the stories you come back with are priceless. Just don't read about the beheading in Canada on the hound.

The trip was amazing as I went from NYC, to Chicago, to Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran, LA, San Diego, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Dallas, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Memphis, and other places. If anyone has any questions about Greyhound feel free to send me a PM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
Well, I'm sure that noone meant it this way but this thread sure sounds elitist.
I really don't think that was the intent or content of the thread at all. If anything, it's anti-elitist. There are people (like my girlfriend, unfortunately) who would NEVER EVER, NEVER choose a hostel. There are other people (like me) who just don't care. I spend a maximum of 8 hours at a hotel per day: It needs to be secure, clean enough to be vermin free, reasonably near where I want to be, and preferably quiet after midnight. Plus, I actually meet people at hostels, which can be fun. .....although I do have my limits: No greyhound.

Plus, FTers have, well... an expensive hobby. It's implied that people here either make a decent amount of money or are REALLY good at making their travel budget last. It's a stereotype that people in the first group don't hang out in this forum that much, hence this thread's topic.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I like budget travelling as much as possible, i'm a student so not exactly rich plus i have a 4 year old daughter. i do a lot of research before i book for trips to find the cheapest possible hotels (can be limited as most hostels don't let young children stay) my friends and family come to me before they go to the travel agent if they want help with finding cheap deals and my mum keeps telling me i should work in travel and not youth work! We're travelling to the US in July, travelling coach on Amtrak so as to be able to stay in nicer hotels along the way :-)
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
I like budget travelling as much as possible, i'm a student so not exactly rich plus i have a 4 year old daughter. i do a lot of research before i book for trips to find the cheapest possible hotels (can be limited as most hostels don't let young children stay) my friends and family come to me before they go to the travel agent if they want help with finding cheap deals and my mum keeps telling me i should work in travel and not youth work! We're travelling to the US in July, travelling coach on Amtrak so as to be able to stay in nicer hotels along the way :-)
I stayed in a hostel for a night in NYC in November and never again. I knew what to expect quality wise but having cockroaches wandering around put me right off. Straight into a nice hotel the following day, which if I had booked a couple of months earlier, would have cost less than the hostel. Even so, only around $120 a night (Country Inn and Suites, Queens) - didn't see the point of paying 3x that to stay in Manhattan when a 10 minute subway ride got me into the city

Stayed in one in San Francisco before and that wasn't too bad. Plenty of people to meet, had my own bathroom and it was fairly clean and tidy. Bit noisy at night what with all the traffic, but earplugs sorted that out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.