Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
welcome to flyertalk, isabellnewman
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:32 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by isabellnewman
Goodness me, ok I'm sorry for any offence caused! I just wanted to contribute.
Contribute away

Not sure why some found the your post offensive, the only offensive part to me is paying for priority boarding only to have the hoardes cut in front of you

Maybe I too wish to be rich and travel in style, which of course would leave out EasyJet, Ryan Air and their ilk

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

EmailKid
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:37 am

We use EasyJet from time to time based on timing and routing. We pay for all the extras which will make it a more pleasant experience, but SB only makes sense for those airports which enforce it. It's very annoying to pay and have the privilege of being "first on the bus" rather than on the plane, and I noticed that in recent confirmations it is careful to note that SB will get you "first through the gate" rather than onto the plane. The budget forum could usefully maintain a sticky with which airports really do offer a SB benefit, in which case, it really can be worth it.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:57 am

The ground agents in Spain and Portugal will board a stray dog before a speedy boarder.
Thanks for the laugh ... and for calling a spade a spade (rich but not stupid).
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:16 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tartegnin
The budget forum could usefully maintain a sticky with which airports really do offer a SB benefit, in which case, it really can be worth it.
As someone who will be soon flying EasyJet and RyanAir for the first time and has been trying to decide if SpeedyBoarding is truly worth it, I whole-heartedly agree with this suggestion!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:01 pm

I just flew RyanAir for the first time from Gothenberg Sweden to Dublin Ireland. Didn't pay for speedy boarding since this was only a 2hour flight. When the gate area doors were open, we had a choice of boarding from the front of the plane or the back. Not many were using the back stairs so I proceeded to head in that direction, not knowing if I would have to fight a crowd to sit in the front. Much to my surprise, there were two FA's standing at the center exit row, to make sure that the front boarders remained in the front and the back boarders were sitted in the rear and I got to sit in the exit row aisle.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Why should you have to pay for speedy boarding? If anything, they should charge people more for slow boarding as it's slow boarders who cause planes to miss their slots.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, Alaska Air
oops! wrong poster.

Last edited by MrLapLap; Jul 31, 2008 at 12:16 pm
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ground agents in Spain and Portugal will board a stray dog before a speedy boarder. In fact invariably they give up any semblance of order.
This wasn't the case at all in Alicante a couple of weeks ago.

A lady with a wheelchair and her companion were allowed on first. Then all the 'speedy boarders' were called. A lady with MS using crutches who had not requested (or it seems been offered) assistance was sternly told to wait her turn until all those with purchased speedy boarding privileges had got on*.

I've flown Easyjet, Ryanair and Clickair to Spain this year, both as an able bodied passenger and as someone who requested (and never paid for) varying levels of assistance. From ALC and MJV both EasyJet and Ryanair honoured priority boarding passes and boarding was certainly 'ordered' (Clickair has assigned seating).

Perhaps this doesn't happen at BCN, but that doesn't reflect everyone's experience of Spanish Airports.

*On EZ flights where I actually requested help my own treatment was excellent.

Originally Posted by Mr H
Why should you have to pay for speedy boarding? If anything, they should charge people more for slow boarding as it's slow boarders who cause planes to miss their slots.
For a chance at finding an overhead bin for your luggage, the opportunity to actually sit next to your travelling companions, and to sit at the front of the plane - a privilege that comes very pricey on other airlines.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Welcome to FT. It's not always a baptism by fire.
May I apologise for the lack of tact and irony bypasses of some contributors.

Eventually priority boarding is self-defeating. When more than about, say, 20% of passengers use it - in my experience about 50% do - then there is, ergo, no priority. The airlines know this so wait for the new product soon - SUPER PRIORITY!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Get off your high horse...

Originally Posted by farci
May I apologise for the lack of tact and irony bypasses of some contributors.

Eventually priority boarding is self-defeating. When more than about, say, 20% of passengers use it - in my experience about 50% do - then there is, ergo, no priority. The airlines know this so wait for the new product soon - SUPER PRIORITY!!
...and don't apologize for me. Keep your apologie's for your own personal litany of transgressions, nothing pisses me off more than the self righteous.
There was no irony in the OP's statement just a lack of tact.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by farci
Eventually priority boarding is self-defeating. When more than about, say, 20% of passengers use it - in my experience about 50% do - then there is, ergo, no priority.
I think the more people who have priority boarding the more important it is to have yourself!

When few people used priority boarding, you still had a good choice of seats, but now without it, you are getting pushed futher and further down to the back of the boarding scrum and pretty much guaranteed the choice of worst seats on the plane.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Goths R us (diamond)
Originally Posted by troyb
Let me begin my reply by saying that starting a post saying that you are "Rich and Privileged" is kind of rude.
What if one says they are Rich, Privileged and a Goth

Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...and don't apologize for me. Keep your apologie's for your own personal litany of transgressions, nothing pisses me off more than the self righteous.
There was no irony in the OP's statement just a lack of tact.
Quit hyperventilating and take some deep breaths. There are worse things happening in the world than this.

As for the OP, I've used SB at Toulouse and found it to be useful although I would rather pay a few pounds more for seat assignments. I can't see why it's so hard to implement or why Easyjet won't implement it.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AGR
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Quit hyperventilating and take some deep breaths. There are worse things happening in the world than this.

As for the OP, I've used SB at Toulouse and found it to be useful although I would rather pay a few pounds more for seat assignments. I can't see why it's so hard to implement or why Easyjet won't implement it.
Boarding is faster, and turnarounds shorter, if passengers are all rushing and scrambling to get a decent seat. Though personally I am glad easyjet has not implemented it, as it means I have at least some chance of a decent seat without paying extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.