Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Can i use a greyhound ticket not printed for the date?

Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Im from the usa and relocated to canada for a bit. I went back to the usa for a bit and then came back to canada. I had to buy a return ticket at the ny greyhound station that would get me from canada back to the usa when i took the greyhound b/c greyhound wouldnt let me board the bus to canada without a return ticket. When i first got to canada last year, i bought a 1 way ticket from usa to canada but i flew into canada as oppose to take a bus to canada and i had zero issues.

So when i bought a return ticket at the greyhound station in the usa and they requested a date. I bought a refundable one and paid 15 dollars or so more than a nonrefundable and its in september. Im coming back to the usa very soon and wanted to know could i use this ticket even though its not september? Note, i will be taking the greyhound from canada back to ny and thus giving them the ticket here.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Im an american that relocated to canada and coming back to the usa. I had previously came back to the usa for a bit few months ago and when i went back to canada, i bought greyhound bus ticket. Also i had to buy a return ticket as i wasn't allowed to board the bus to canada with just a one way ticket.

I had the option of buying a refundable or nonrefundable ticket. Refundable cost like $90 and nonrefundable was like $77 or so. I also had to pick a date on the ticket but the thing is i didnt know when i was going to come back to the usa so i just had them pick a date 6 months from that date so my ticket is sometime in september. Basically i bought refundable b/c i had thought hey if i decide to fly back into the usa i would be able to get a refund back. They told me if you get a refund back to credit card, its 20 percent fee so basically i only get back $72 instead of $90.

Im coming back to the usa next week and i spoke to greyhound on the phone and they said i cannot use this ticket because its not the exact date. They said i could go to the greyhound station here in canada and have date changed... then pay $20 to change the date.

However, i checked greyhound.ca and right now i could buy a one way ticket back to the usa for $75 or so. So the thing is i could either

1. Change my date on my current greyhound ticket and pay $20 for the date change and thus pay $110 for my ticket

or

2. Go buy another ticket for $75 at the bus station here in canada... i buy advance purchase. Then i go and ask for a refund of my $90 ticket and thus get $72 back and thus i only paid $75+$18 = $93 for my ticket and thus im saving close to $20 this way.

1. I assume this would be allowed? Again i never wanted to buy a return ticket back to the usa b/c i wasnt sure what date i would been back but i had to buy one if i wanted to head to canada.

2. Has anyone had issues with refunds with greyhound? I read many reviews about refund greyhound tickets and many seem to mention refunds take a very long time... or many couldn't even get a refund. Is this true? I do know if you buy a nonrefundable ticket and you dont use it on that date/time whether you dont go , the ticket is not valid anymore. However, has anyone had problems with a greyhound ticket that wanted a refund and their ticket was a refundable ticket?

The thing is also whether or not i buy another ticket... i still will have to go to the bus station here in canada few days before i leave canada no matter what. Basically save $20 buying another ticket and going to get refund for old ticket or just changing the date of the ticket and thus paying a bit more.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:18 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Why can't you buy your Greyhound bus ticket on-line, I do from Vancouver to Seattle or elsewhere in the USA and I buy only a one way, and when I am ready to return from the US I go online and buy a one way ticket back to Canada. I think you got ripped off.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I do buy my bus ticket online. If im planning to buy it from canada to usa... i would buy it online and then either print it out or go to bus station and get a copy of the ticket.

The only reason i bought a ticket at the actual bus station back in the usa was b/c i had bought a 1 way ticket online from usa back to canada but when i went to take the bus... they wouldnt let me board without a return ticket. I told them i plan to stay in canada for many months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.