Hosting as I type this, but FTers

EmailKid
Old May 31, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
waiting for two CSer - but seems that they won't show up anymore
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:14 am
Suspended

Couchsurfing is all about meeting people. To me, it's trying to counter this idea of fear of foreigners, fear of your neighbors, fear of everybody
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: LX HON, Radisson Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johncena
Couchsurfing is all about meeting people. To me, it's trying to counter this idea of fear of foreigners, fear of your neighbors, fear of everybody
That's a good attitude! I met some people I'll probably call "friends for life" soon. And well, you stumble upon people like chrissxb by chance and meet your first real life FTer
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:25 pm
rb3

I am a CS-er, been a member since 2001 when I did Euro solo travel. Surfed in Paris and Barcelona. Had a blast in both places. Met cool people in BKK and Portland. Hosted my Paris host in BKK too. It's a nice concept, just be real careful when selection a host.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Here is a blurb on Couchsurfing. It just happens I am part of it as well

http://tinyurl.com/n5w2zz PDF (article at bottom)

Program works well: www.couchsurfing.com/AMRivlin
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:39 am

I am also an avid CS user. I love the community and idea.

I've hosted people at my place, and also used it for trips I've been on.

CS and hospitality club are invaluable resources!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Joined the group today

Been a member for a little while, and already hosted a couple of travelers (they had their own sleeping accomodations as there is still no furniture).

This may come in handy for a MR

EmailKid
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
I just joined the group. I joined couchsurfing last February, but then I didn't do anything with it. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with the idea of total strangers, but for some reason FT'ers seem better.

This would be a fun thing to try with one of those sub-$300 round trip airfares to Europe we've been seeing lately. I took a $228 flight to Italy this spring with my friend. We stayed in a hostel for my first time ever...and somebody stole my driver's license and traveller's cheques while we slept! So, couchsurfing seems like it would not be much riskier.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Been a CS member for almost 4 years. Only actually surfed once, in Hawaii. Great experience. I generally use it as a networking tool. Where are the good restaurants, bars, etc? Just joined the FT group on CS.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:54 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I actually think it is less riskier, you are staying with one person. So if they are a murderer at least you will know who committed the crime .

In all seriousness, you get to review the people and meet them first to size them up. Generally it is like minded people (Like FT is for travel) and you learn a lot about the locals.

Good Luck, best advice, use instinct, if it seems shady, move on to a hotel. But I think you will find it rewarding.

Andrew

Originally Posted by pawtim
I just joined the group. I joined couchsurfing last February, but then I didn't do anything with it. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with the idea of total strangers, but for some reason FT'ers seem better.

This would be a fun thing to try with one of those sub-$300 round trip airfares to Europe we've been seeing lately. I took a $228 flight to Italy this spring with my friend. We stayed in a hostel for my first time ever...and somebody stole my driver's license and traveller's cheques while we slept! So, couchsurfing seems like it would not be much riskier.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:52 am

Programs: AA,Millemiglia,Smiles,AR Plus,Distancia,LanPass
I've used it hosting people a couple of times. Good fun.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:24 am
Suspended

Couchsurfing is the best way to travel

Last edited by 3dfan; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:25 am
Old Aug 7, 2009, 5:10 pm

I live in Vienna, which is the couchsurfing capital of the world. We have more members than NYC, though Vienna is much smaller.

Couchsurfing is a great way to travel! You learn so much more about the place and the people your are visiting. However, it doesn't work out every and always. For example, you can forget about finding a couch in Venice.

It's not about the $$$ you save. At least not in the first place. It's about the better perspective you get.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Just bumping for a fun site. I need to join the FT group. I don't think the San Jose area is a hotbed of CS need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.