FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Greyhound MR: NYC-TORONTO $2 R/T (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/834806-greyhound-mr-nyc-toronto-2-r-t.html)

flyerman770 Jun 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Greyhound MR: NYC-TORONTO $2 R/T

MODS! If this is not the right forum, please relocate it or delete it, I didn't find a place to put it...

It might not be the right forum, but since GREYHOUND has some kind of loyalty program (see HERE and TERMS AND CONDITIONS) I decided to post the info.

Greyhound started a new bus venture called NEON which has wifi, power ports, etc and goes the New York-Toronto route. See HERE FOR MORE INFO.

There is a $2 r/t price available for mid-week in SEP.-OCT. Play around with the dates and you will be able to find something.

If you do 16 o/w "credits" with them you can get a free r/t wherever the "fly" (somewhat like southwest), so technically speaking for 16 bucks you can get a 200 dollar "ticket" coast-to-coast.

aviationkiwi Jun 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I can't imagine taking Greyhound from Coast to Coast. I prefer not to go.

roadtripman Jun 15, 2008 5:00 pm

This brings back fond memories of my late teenage years when I purchased Greyhound Ameripasses and CanAM passes and spent 6 months on the bus, checking out every place I could think of in Canada and the USA.

Very uncomfortable, but cheap. I was paying around $300 for each 60 day pass of unlimited travel. Saved on hotels, too, sleeping on the bus.

I can't believe I did that.

flyerman770 Jun 15, 2008 5:03 pm

I never did greyhound for longer than two hours intra-canada. Its horrendously uncomfortable.

roadtripman Jun 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerman770 (Post 9884075)
I never did greyhound for longer than two hours intra-canada. Its horrendously uncomfortable.

I think when you're 18, you just don't care about comfort. But, almost a decade later, I think I've finally turned into a "comfort snob" (that or I'm now a human!):D

I used to mock my friends for flying to Mexico. "Take the bus, it's only $200!".

It is the cheapest way to travel, and you meet some...interesting...people. But, it takes nerves of steel.

BIMMERKID2 Jun 15, 2008 5:20 pm

I took Greyhound once and after that experience.. i've dubbed it the Convict Express.. or Convict Getaway!! :P:P

Originally Posted by flyerman770 (Post 9884075)

trsny Jun 15, 2008 5:23 pm

I travel frequently between NYC and Hartford, CT. It was so many Greyhound/Peter Pan bus rides that seriously made me examine my life goals. :rolleyes: I switched to Amtrak. Much more comfy and less hassle.

That said, sometimes I do need to take the bus, and didn't know Greyhound had a frequent rider program, so it's good to know. ^ Thanks!

ctownflyer Jun 15, 2008 5:35 pm

16 Greyhound tickets and all they give you is more time on a greyhound?

Reminds of the joke about winning a vacation to Pittsburgh;
First prize: 1 week in Pittsburgh
Second prize: 2 weeks in Pittsburgh…

CaveatEmpty Jun 15, 2008 5:41 pm

"The following trips or segments are ineligible for Destination Points under the Program:
xxxxxx* stops at intermediate cities on connecting or through trips
xxxxxx* or the purchase of multiple tickets as part of the same trip; "

WTH?? No end-on-ends? Phitttooooooi. :p

Did MIA-ATL-CLE-DTW back from spring break in '68 ... yeah, 'interesting' :D
/.

patgarrett Jun 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Surely the more discerning East Coast traveler takes the Chinatown Bus?! I've heard that engine fires and police chases are almost guaranteed, and for a few dollars more you can bribe the driver to drop you off at the end of your street. Greyhound has got nothing on that :D.

pr0digy25 Jun 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2 (Post 9884123)
I took Greyhound once and after that experience.. i've dubbed it the Convict Express.. or Convict Getaway!! :P:P

Indeed, I took it about 12 years ago to go YYZ-NYC... on the way back into Canada, we were held up for about an hour at the Canadian border.

One of the American blokes apparently had a little bit of a dodgy history that was a concern for Citizenship & Immigration... needless to say, he was finally allowed back on the bus... we erupted in cheers!

mahasamatman Jun 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by pr0digy25 (Post 9884277)
One of the American blokes apparently had a little bit of a dodgy history

About 15 years ago (my last trip on Greyhound), coming from Vancouver to Seattle, I was strip-searched at the border because one of their dogs "took an interest" in one of my suitcases. Customs has waaaay too much power and no accountability.

sbm12 Jun 15, 2008 7:25 pm

They are also running NYC-WAS on the Neon brand with similar fares. And you don't have to spend 12 hours on a bus riding to Canada.

BingoLoco Jun 15, 2008 7:26 pm

As a teen I was afraid to fly so I took cross country busses for fun trips. I would sleep for 12 hours at a time on those busses. Jesus. The longest one was ATL-Montana. Jesus.

Although I must say that if you haven't been through the mid-west on a bus, you haven't seen America. That was really special. Especially at night.

mahasamatman Jun 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by BingoLoco (Post 9884515)
if you haven't been through the mid-west on a bus, you haven't seen America.

I prefer flying a taildragger at 3,000 feet AGL...