Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Budget Accommodation in Croatia: Split & Dubrovnik

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Good Budget Accommodation in Croatia: Split & Dubrovnik

I'll be heading to the Croatian Dalmatian Coast in a few weeks time and have been looking at getting accommodation. Do FTers have any recommendations on budget accommodation - a quick search of hostelz.com reveals nothing too pleasant about hostels in Dubrovnik for example.

Ideally something less than $40-50/night would be good.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:08 am

Best bet is to barter with the old ladies that meet any bus/train/ferry into town offering "sobe" (private rooms). There's a huge supply. Check out tripadvisor forums for more Croatia accomodation recommendations.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA
I was in Split & Croatia in May, and I saw that it was very easy to book budget rooms on the spot as the above poster suggests. I had arranged all fo my accommodation in advance and was very happy with the places I stayed.

If you prefer to make advance arrangements, I can recommend Ivan Nenadic in Dubrovnik. Ivan is a very gracious host, and he has 4 rooms off the main part of his home. There is a kitchen for guest use, which is very nice. He's not immediately near the old city, but you can either walk down in about 15 minutes (the return trip is up a hill, and longer) or there are bus stops very close by for getting to & from the old city. Ivan will pick you up from the bus station and give you a quick overview of Dubrovnik, which I found very helpful.

In Split, Sobe Simoni was well-located with nice, although minimal, accomodations. Guests stay on the ground floor of the family home. It's a 5-7 minute walk to Diocletian's palace, or 3-4 minutes to the bus station and port.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the advice - thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtparadis
Best bet is to barter with the old ladies that meet any bus/train/ferry into town offering "sobe" (private rooms). There's a huge supply. Check out tripadvisor forums for more Croatia accomodation recommendations.
I'll probably get to the centre of Dubrovnik by 8PM, would these people still be out by that time of the night?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Skystar
I'll probably get to the centre of Dubrovnik by 8PM, would these people still be out by that time of the night?
Yes, but you would have better selection earlier in the day. IIRC they tend to hang out around the bus station or ferry port. You can also go to the tourist office which has listings for private rooms though I don't know how late they stay open.

I paid about $5 for a private room with private bath in the hills above the old city plus a balcony with a view but that was almost 20 years ago before the iron curtain collapsed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.