FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Budget Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/)
-   -   Guesthouses in Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Hanoi? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel/662135-guesthouses-chiang-mai-luang-prabang-hanoi.html)

hiyo Feb 19, 2007 8:10 am

Guesthouses in Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Hanoi?

My wife and I will be traveling in November-December 2007, Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang - Hanoi, spending about a week in each city.

Can anyone recommend budget/flashpacker guesthouses and/or hotels in those cities, preferably based on recent experience? Say with a budget range of US$20-$30?

We did Ho Chi Minh City - Chau Doc - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Bangkok last year and never spent more than US$25 a night. All the places were clean, friendly and comfortable, if somewhat less than luxurious.

(Well, in Bangkok we had the Conrad, which is very luxurious, but it was on the mistake rate of THB625, which is still under US$20)

Gay_Traveler Feb 26, 2007 4:29 am

Originally Posted by hiyo (Post 7250970)
My wife and I will be traveling in November-December 2007, Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang - Hanoi, spending about a week in each city.

Can anyone recommend budget/flashpacker guesthouses and/or hotels in those cities, preferably based on recent experience? Say with a budget range of US$20-$30?

We did Ho Chi Minh City - Chau Doc - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Bangkok last year and never spent more than US$25 a night. All the places were clean, friendly and comfortable, if somewhat less than luxurious.

(Well, in Bangkok we had the Conrad, which is very luxurious, but it was on the mistake rate of THB625, which is still under US$20)

I would like to travel like this.
Good luck and have a great trip!

thebug622 Mar 1, 2007 12:38 pm

I recently stayed at the Binh Minh II hotel in Hanoi,it is in the old quarter,I believe it was around $10 USD for a single,it had good security,always someone at check in ,it's in the LP guide 31 Pho Hang Mam.

gt_croz Mar 3, 2007 7:36 pm

Sounds like you're doing a similar trip as to what I did in October-December.

In Chang Mai for $20 I'd recommend the 3 Sis Bed and Breakfast. It was about $20 for a room with two beds and it was one of the nicest places I stayed my entire 2 months in southeast asia.

http://www.3sisbedandbreakfast.com/home.html

hiyo Mar 4, 2007 4:40 pm

gt_croz,

Wow, thanks! 3 Sis looks perfect and I have written an email to set up a reservation.

This place looks nice in Luang Prabang - Khun and Con Guesthouse, although there is no internet information, and is probably a place for walk-ins only, no reservations.

This looks nice in Hanoi - Hotel des Artistes.

Anyone been to either of these properties?

RustyC Mar 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Have been all 3 places, though I'm sure the number of choices has increased a lot since. Unless your timing is really event-affected you should be fine in all 3 places at that budget level. Last summer I got a 2-star hotel with pool & buffet breakfast in Chiang Mai at $27 through one of the online sites. In some places like that with tons of supply it often pays to work the Internet to try to get 2-and 3-stars at half off (if your dates are firm) rather than paying closer to regular price for something more budget-oriented.

ainsle Oct 5, 2009 11:04 pm

My favorite chain of budget hotels in Hanoi are the Elegance Hotels I, II, III, IV. They are all in the old quarter. Elegance I and II are more centralized in hte old quarter and they are around $40/night w breakfast and a dsl computer in your room.

hiyo Oct 6, 2009 12:07 pm

OP's update,

I stayed at 3Sis in Chiang Mai, great location, but in the middle of an expansion when we were there, construction and noise, etc. Also, not real intimate like it looks on the website. Very clean, elevator, good value.

I stayed at Khoun and Khone's GH outside Luang Prabang after spending one night in the town proper. Khoun and Khone's was a fantastic experience, we really felt like part of the family. It is a little isolated, but very special. It is a short ride to town.

I have stayed at the Win Hotel in Hanoi twice now. It's near the lake on Hang Hanh St. I would never stay anywhere else unless they were full. Great location, wonderful staff. No elevator. NOT a western style hotel.

jackal Oct 6, 2009 4:36 pm

I know the OP's already done with his trip, but I'll post here (for anyone's future reference) that the Rendezvous Guesthouse in Chiang Mai and the Hanoi Guesthouse (with the sweet Ms. Linh) are clean and reasonably comfortable.

I can't compare to others to say whether they're a good deal or not, but at least they're not slums (the worry you always have when booking low-cost guesthouses like this), and we were perfectly happy.

FWIW, the Villa Prince Mekong in Siem Reap is decent (run by a Swiss German expat; he provides free bikes for touring the park).

Can't remember the name of the one we were at in Saigon. If anyone wants me to look it up, reply back here or PM me.