Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheap hotel in Hong Kong...

Old Jan 17, 07, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, Asia Miles, HH

Looking for a cheap hotel in Hong Kong... preferrable one that's has an airport shuttle drop off and relatively close to a subway stop/train station. I'm supposed to be heading to Shenzen to pick up some stuff.

Cheers!
Old Jan 18, 07, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianPie View Post
Looking for a cheap hotel in Hong Kong... preferrable one that's has an airport shuttle drop off and relatively close to a subway stop/train station. I'm supposed to be heading to Shenzen to pick up some stuff.

Cheers!
The IBIS North Point could be something for you:
cheap hotel in Hong Kong ^ (from CAN$ 53 + tax)
airport shuttle drop off ^ (A11)
relatively close to a subway stop ^ (10m)

Have a look at my short review:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...16&postcount=4
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:26 pm

Here are a few sites listing multiple hotels, which may give you an idea of what's available and where it's located. You may then find it best to contact the hotel directly.

http://www.asiarooms.com/hong_kong/hong_kong.html : Rates, reviews, photos, and excellent maps. Sometimes prices are very good, but there's no immediate confirmation of availability; if you book with them, they'll email you back with confirmation (or denial) in a day or two. A good option if you want a low price and have plenty of time to waste making a reservation. The website is certainly worth a visit for a good overview of most HK hotels.

http://hotelclub.net/ : Not as rich in information as asiarooms.com, but does show room availability and gives instant confirmation.

For the cheapest possible rooms, try http://www.hostelworld.com/countries...nghostels.html .

Travelocity, expedia, orbitz, blah, blah also list rooms, sometimes at very good prices. Always verify cancellation policies, as they vary widely.

Do consider how you're getting to Shenzen. If you're taking the train you may want to get a room near the station even if it does cost more, as traffic can be horrendous (and subway (MTR) connections aren't always convenient).

Hope this helps, and hope you have a chance for some fun - HK is such a great place to visit.

-J
Old Jan 27, 07, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another
Unless you're landing at like 10pm.. landing at say, 3pm, it's no problem to get to Shenzhen... there are buses (I think) direct from HKG to Shenzhen. Not sure where exactly in SZ but they exist.
Old Jan 27, 07, 6:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
There are a couple of good guest houses in Causeway Bay - in fact right outside one of the airport bus stops. They are not your 'chungking' style guest houses but actually quite comfortable. You can visit www.asiaxpat.com.hk and there is quite a bit of info on them in some of the forums.

One thing about the IBIS is that you can catch the ferry from directly opposite the hotel to Hung Hom and then from there only a short bus/taxi ride to the Hung Hom KCR Station to catch the train to Shenzhen - no messing about with MTR connections etc...
Old Jan 27, 07, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by slickalick View Post
They are not your 'chungking' style guest houses but actually quite comfortable.
While I haven't been to Hong Kong yet, I've been waiting for the famous Chunk King reference to come up For anyone wanting an experience, just do a search at least from what I've read. Can't wait to try it my own self

EmailKid
Old Jan 28, 07, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA gold/SPG something or another
Originally Posted by emailkid View Post
While I haven't been to Hong Kong yet, I've been waiting for the famous Chunk King reference to come up For anyone wanting an experience, just do a search at least from what I've read. Can't wait to try it my own self

EmailKid
Indian food in the bowels of the Chungking Mansion is really, really good.
Old Jan 28, 07, 5:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Ymca!

Back in the early 1990's, when visiting HKG, I stayed at the YMCA International House. It was nice, clean, and relatively cheap.

I haven't been back to HKG since they opened up the new airport, so I'm not sure how close the YMCA is to that.

"It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ... "

Steve
Old Jan 29, 07, 2:14 am

If you're not picky and dont mind staying in hostels, try www.hostelworld.com

They have a couple good recommendations.

HTHs
Old Feb 12, 07, 10:35 am

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
I have stayed plenty of times at Chung King Mansion..seedy, but atmosphere is transient at best..not bad for $30. Its on Nathan road two doors west of the HI. Small,small fairly clean rooms, 6" TV, now the view is non existant, but in a pinch you might try it, just for sleeping. Then I move on to the Hong Kong Conrad There was even a movie made about it. Do a search, it's well worth it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...g+King+Mansion

Last edited by MRKEY; Feb 12, 07 at 1:34 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: