Wiki Posts
Search

discount airline from Shanghai to Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:46 am
Original Poster

If I want to fly direct, one-way from Shanghai to Taipei, what would be my best bet for an airline?

Are there any discount flights between these two cities?

How much would I be looking to spend (in RMB) if I purchase the ticket in Shanghai? And where should I get that ticket?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
AFAIK there is no direct flight allowed between Mainland China and Taiwan due to the political situation (except during chinese new year period, and even those flights have restrictive conditions).

You would have to "transit" via Hong Kong and Macao.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Fraid you are out of luck. As BBT in NY has mentioned, it isn't really feasible.

You could also connect via Japan (not 100% sure); but I think as far as fare goes, they are all pretty darn high.

Have you considered award flights? They may provide better bang for the buck.

Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
my thoughts are that the best way to do this is to book tix to Shenzhen, which is next to hong kong and then book a seperate ticket from an HK agent to TPE. HKG-TPE is one of the most competitive int'l routes on earth so prices shouldn't be too bad there, and prices to SZ from SHA shouldn't be bad either.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA million miler
Originally Posted by civicmon
my thoughts are that the best way to do this is to book tix to Shenzhen, which is next to hong kong and then book a seperate ticket from an HK agent to TPE. HKG-TPE is one of the most competitive int'l routes on earth so prices shouldn't be too bad there, and prices to SZ from SHA shouldn't be bad either.
but on this itinerary you still have to transfer from SZX to HKG- even if you take a cab to shekou and catch the fast ferry direct to HKG you have wasted at least 4 hours in transit - more if you don't have a good connection

so it may pay to bite the bullet and just find a local SHA agent to sell you a cheap one-way to HKG (yes a local agent not online booking with expedia or travelocity - and offer to pay cash!)

or, try air macau - which can fly you both from the mainland and to taiwan, with an easy connection at MFM, without changing airports

if you've never been to macau its worth a day or two on your way to TPE- and the local agents there offer deep discounts, too

Last edited by edgewood; Aug 14, 2006 at 7:30 am Reason: update air macau info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.