Search

California Roadtrip - get there and travel there cheap

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
California Roadtrip - get there and travel there cheap

Hello,
couldnt find anything using the search, so I guess i have to open a new thread.

I am planning on doing a California Road Trip with my girlfriend this September (for about 3-4 weeks). We are based in Hamburg/Germany but quite flexible with the starting point. First question would be: What is the cheapest way to get us to the Los Angeles Area? Is it a regular Europe - LAX flight or would it be cheaper to fly Europe - East Coast and then with Southwest/Jetblue to the West Coast?

Once in CA we should be able to get a car from friends. I am not very familiar with the American hotel pricing system. Does an early reservation for a motel (the big chains) give us better rates or can we still book the night before?

Our main guideline/route would be LA - SFO - Death Valley -> LV - Grand Canyon - San Diego - LA (with lots of stops in between). I know, nothing special about the route, but she has never been there. Any suggestions for cheap travel?

Thanks guys for any advice.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: NW
Look under the headings for mileage runs and travel buzz for cheap flights (AF is doing a reasonable ticket and there is a really cheap fare from Budapest mentioned there too).

I'd rent a car instead of borrowing one (no worry about breakdowns and decreased responsibility). IMHO Pacific Coast Highway is nicer going SFO to LAX

Hotels: Although it's not cheap, staying on the rim of the grand canyon is wonderful; you need to reserve NOW. You may wish to stay in other national parks too which you can find from the grand canyon site. Take old route 66 when you can...
Old May 28, 2006, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I would suggest a direct flight to LA is going to be cheaper than buying a cheapie to NYC and another one to the west coast. It's usually that LA is the cheapest west coast city to fly into but YMMV.

The cheapest and best way IMHO to get hotel accomm in the US is via priceline. You will of course need an internet connection to be able to do that but you can find public access ones fairly frequently. If you're planning on just winging it the motel drive up rates are reasonable.

FWIW, if I were doing what you were doing, I would priceline hotels in the major cities especially San Diego, LA and San Franciso where hotel rates can be exorbitant and use motels for the days you have nothing booked for driving between cities.
Old May 28, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by flo-e
\
Our main guideline/route would be LA - SFO - Death Valley -> LV - Grand Canyon - San Diego - LA (with lots of stops in between).
I would consider flying into SFO first, then LA > Death Valley > etc. That way, there's no backtracking (and no, there's nothing between SF and LA worth backtracking for). Flights into SFO should be comparable to LAX, and I second the recommendation to rent a car.
Old May 29, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
Originally Posted by flo-e
Hello,
couldnt find anything using the search, so I guess i have to open a new thread.

I am planning on doing a California Road Trip with my girlfriend this September (for about 3-4 weeks). nice idea, this will be a pleasure. We are based in Hamburg/Germany but quite flexible with the starting point. First question would be: What is the cheapest way to get us to the Los Angeles Area? Is it a regular Europe - LAX flight or would it be cheaper to fly Europe - East Coast and then with Southwest/Jetblue to the West Coast?
I would as well recommend to start in SFO as it's a way more beautiful than LA. You will need at least 4 days there and there, you won't need a car, walking is fine over there. I would seek a flight maybe over mcflight.de, as they have very favorable offers in general. Try to fly directly to the West Coast with one ticket at least, as changing planes, terminals and airlines is not worth the hassle for saving maybe 10$ or even less....
I would then recommend you to drive to Yosemite, than the Pacific Highway as suggested to have maybe a day in LA and see the sights (comes to the Hollywood Boulevard, Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills (if you're interested in celebs - which I'm not ;-)) and connect on to the Grand Canyon (Hover Dam), Vegas, Phoenix for the airplane yards with plenty of 747s and San Diego, which is a damn expensive area.

Once in CA we should be able to get a car from friends. I am not very familiar with the American hotel pricing system. Does an early reservation for a motel (the big chains) give us better rates or can we still book the night before?
As mentioned before, book your hotels for the busy areas in advance over PL (I would help you woth that in case you are not familiar with that), especially for SAN, and in the open areas, there is no advance reservation needed.

Our main guideline/route would be LA - SFO - Death Valley -> LV - Grand Canyon - San Diego - LA (with lots of stops in between). I know, nothing special about the route, but she has never been there. Any suggestions for cheap travel?

Thanks guys for any advice.
Old May 29, 2006, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I would consider flying into SFO first, then LA > Death Valley > etc. That way, there's no backtracking (and no, there's nothing between SF and LA worth backtracking for). Flights into SFO should be comparable to LAX, and I second the recommendation to rent a car.
Actually, I agree with this. It's a much more sensible start point than LA.
Old May 29, 2006, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice and hints.

The reasons why I am planning on just borrowing a car from a friend is $$$. Renting a car will cost me an extra couple of dozen $$ a day which I am trying to safe. Besides that I dont think I am old enough yet (is it 21 to rent one?) to rent a car.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:11 pm

I hate to be a spoilsport, but Death Valley isn't the most attractive American desert travel destination in September. Average daytime highs are still usually well over 40c, and camping (or staying in one of the Valley's lodges) just won't be a pleasant experience. And since this is the budget forum, I should point out that accommodation in or near Death Valley is, with one exception, overpriced and unavailable. If you do plan to make it a part of your trip, I'd suggest that you make reservations ASAP.
Old May 30, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think you're much better off flying straight to LA or SF. Fares there are usually only $50-100 more out of Europe than they are to the east coast.

Would agree with those suggesting Priceline bookings for the California cities. It may hurt flexibility but a $30 2-star through Priceline (more like $35+ tax if Priceline's fee is loaded in) is way better than a $45 Motel 6 or comparable as a walk-in. You can gamble a bit and book Priceline at the last minute with walk-in places as fallback, but to beat it on price at that level you're talking hostel dorms, camping, or staying with friends.

Las Vegas is a special case; would suggest Expedia or some of the LV-specific sites to try to land something in the $20-30 range, especially if you have a car. With that you can stay at off-strip places like the Station ones that are really quite nice. I've always done Death Valley as a long daytrip from LV.

If there's a must in California I'd say it'd have to be the Pacific Coast Highway between SF and LA, especially the Big Sur region.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:42 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Notes on California road trip.

1. Driving directly from SFO to Las Vegas/Death Valley is problematic. If you look at the map, there is a mountain range (the Sierra Nevadas) that will require you to drive most of the way to LA before being able to traverse the Mojave Desert.

2. Priceline.com (Name Your Own Price) should be used for as many hotel and car reservations as possible. Generally priceline car rentals from and returning to LAX are on the order of $15/day with unlimited mileage. You can also get great hotel deals up to 8 PM Pacific Time the same day. Bid on 2 1/2 star hotels. See betterbidding.com . Carry a wireless laptop with you, or go to a FedexKinkos or a truck stop for internet access. In small towns on a road trip where you do not know specifically what time or where you will want to stop, you won't do too badly staying at a Super 8, Motel 6 (although the beds are a little hard) or local motel.

3. The Amtrak train from SF-LA (actually from Oakland to LA) is very scenic.

4. The drive from LA to Las Vegas will take you across a wide expanse of desert which is near Death Valley, and it looks exactly like Death Valley. Skip the actual trip to Death Valley and tell your friends you went there.

5. Las Vegas hotels are much cheaper on weekdays (Sun-Thurs) than on weekends (Fri-Sat). The nicest hotel in town, the 5* Venetian, can be had on priceline Sun-Thurs for $99.

6. Nearly all airplanes pass over the Grand Canyon on the way to or from LA.

7. If you are party animals, you could check out the Burning Man Festival Aug 28 - Sep 4 in northern Nevada.
Old May 31, 2006, 5:21 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Since you have 3-4 weeks, why not fly to LAS. You can take a day drive to see the Grand Canyon. Then you can drive all the way down to SAN (or even to TIJ which only 30 mts away from SAN), LAX, SFO and back

I did this last year (didn't go to SFO) and had a great time

edit: Car rental is super cheap in LAS
Old May 31, 2006, 7:06 am
Original Poster

thank you all for the advice.

$15 for a car rental per day sounds fair enough... the problem is, i've only had my licence for two years and I'm 20 years old. That will be a problem with the major car rentals IMO.

@mbstone: I know about the desert between LV and LA. I lived in exactly that desert for a year (yes, there are people living there).

Death valley will be skipped

I guess I'll have to learn using priceline.com How much % off regular prices can I get if I know how to work it properly?
Old May 31, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus, UA MP
I second flying into Vegas. Check out Condor because they occasionally have cheap flights from Germany to Vegas. Could be a problem if you gamble...wouldn't want to lose all of your trip money in a few hours ^

http://www.betagammasigma.org/enterprise.htm for cheaper Enterprise rental (no under 21 surcharge when using the link)

And given that this is the budget forum, have you considered hostels for at least some of the nights so you can save some money and perhaps stay at nicer places either in Vegas, LAX, or SFO??? Some of the hostels are cleaner than the $50/night motels that you find.
Old May 31, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH, A3, DL, UA, LAN
Originally Posted by kaptan
http://www.betagammasigma.org/enterprise.htm for cheaper Enterprise rental (no under 21 surcharge when using the link)
Wow that's awesome! Can you give a little more inside to this?
Isn't this limited to members/employers of Betagammasigma? Plus is it possible to book one-way rentals (want to do the SFO - LAX HW 1 Trip) with this deal? If yes, how?

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, UA MP
Originally Posted by johnmc
Wow that's awesome! Can you give a little more inside to this?
Isn't this limited to members/employers of Betagammasigma? Plus is it possible to book one-way rentals (want to do the SFO - LAX HW 1 Trip) with this deal? If yes, how?

Thanks!
Yes you are supposed to be a member or employee of BGS. But if you are not there are plenty of other places that waive the under 25 fee. Check your university (either student or alumni), many have agreements with one of the national rental agencies where the fee is waived.

For example:
UC Berkeley Alumni
10% Discount on Enterprise Rental (plus under 25 fee waived)
Discount Code: UCBALUM
Corporate Account or Customer Number: Cal

As for it working on one-way rentals, I have no idea. I have not used either for one-way rental. Click the link and go thru the steps of making a reservation and see if it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.