Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Favorite budget travel items?

Old Jun 18, 17, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Old Jan 18, 07, 7:06 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
Originally Posted by bonusmeilen View Post
A growing number of websites offers free mp3 city audio guides, just search google for audioguide, audio guide, mp3 city tour followed by the name of the city.

A good overview (20 cities) is on www.iAudioguide.com
Great idea ^
Old Jan 20, 07, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by LXboy View Post
During the times I travelled absolutely on a shoestring, I always had a smalltea cooker with me (I don't know what's the appropriate English word, it looks like this). It's working with electricity and you find it it most hotel rooms anyway.
That's generally called a hotpot. Another alternative would be to carry a small camping pot of some type and an immersion heater.
Old Feb 2, 07, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA, CO, AC, EVA
Must Have's

About the padlocks- the last few times I've traveled, the TSA has broken the padlocks on my bags to search them, a waste of my money... anyone else had this happen?
so maybe not padlock them until you get off the plane at your destination?

I use cable ties (those skinny plastic ties) instead of a padlock, the TSA guys can cut them if they want to check my backpack/suitcase, I just put on another one when my luggage arrive (IF they arrive!!!). Just put one through the zipper loops. They come if various sizes and colours too.

I also bring along bungy cords for hanging up wet laundry, shoes, or food, also good for securing bags to the overhead racks on buses/trains.

And of course, duct tape! Endless uses - including taping my paranoid friend's boots to her ankles when we spent the night inside the Bogota Airport. Don't ask!

Oh, and a roll of (soft) toilet paper, because if you have a cold or tummy problems (polite way of saying - getting the .....), you don't want sandpaper quality loo paper next to your skin
Old Feb 2, 07, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by burbujasdeamor View Post
About the padlocks- the last few times I've traveled, the TSA has broken the padlocks on my bags to search them, a waste of my money... anyone else had this happen?
Yes, lots of people. TSA tells you that you have to use APPROVED locks, i.e., ones they can open with THEIR key. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but just yesterday on my way to the old west Texas town of El Paso saw three young ladies who had water bottles, big tubes of toothpaste (way over 3 oz), not to menion the fact that the plastic bags were not out, but in the carryon.

So yes, if you don't follow the rules, they break the locks / take your water ...

BTW, welcome to FlyerTalk.

From DFW awaiting my first bump voucher of the year (and first one in well over a year),

EmailKid

And still waiting for that voucher .... with 30 seconds to go they decided they didn't need me after all. Can't count the times I boarded after being first on the bump list.

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 2, 07 at 10:58 pm Reason: NO voucher
Old Feb 2, 07, 8:25 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
1 travel size bottle of Gold Bond.
Old Feb 4, 07, 9:55 am
Commander Catcop

A trial size bottle of Tide detergent (or any detergent but I prefer Tide.)

You never know when accidents happens and that Buffalo Wing sauce or beer ends up on your Aloha shirt or dress pants and you want to get the stain out.

When I travel for long periods I do laundry at local places. Nice way to meet residents of the neighborhood.
Old Feb 5, 07, 9:12 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by burbujasdeamor View Post
so maybe not padlock them until you get off the plane at your destination?
I keep my bag locked but wait for the TSA to check the contents via xray scan. They've been unfailingly polite, sending my bag through while I wait - and they've never asked me to unlock it for a search
Old Feb 9, 07, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Catman View Post
A trial size bottle of Tide detergent (or any detergent but I prefer Tide.)

You never know when accidents happens and that Buffalo Wing sauce or beer ends up on your Aloha shirt or dress pants and you want to get the stain out.

When I travel for long periods I do laundry at local places. Nice way to meet residents of the neighborhood.
Woolite makes individually sized foil-wrapped packets that are a little easier to handle perhaps. Also fewer rinse cycles than with Tide..
Old Feb 18, 07, 12:20 am

i use to carry a small jar of peanut butter
is this still allow in carryon?
Old Feb 18, 07, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by jbtniros View Post
i use to carry a small jar of peanut butter
is this still allow in carryon?
That's a no no, it's even specifically mentioned on the DHS list.
Old Feb 18, 07, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding laundry detergent, I actually carry a little box of powdered detergent (which protects cloting if it breaks open in your bag, unlike the liquid detergent). Also, if its an extended backpacking trip, I bring nylon cord so I can do my laundry in my hotel room sink and hang the clothes in my room. You can find a variety of uses for cord/rope when you're on the road...
Old Feb 21, 07, 7:21 pm

Where to begin... there are great ideas here so I don't have lots to add. Probably my best tip is how to carry around a lot of information. Instead of taking an address book and separate printouts of tickets and reservations and such, I create a word document that contains all relevant addresses/phone numbers of people at home and the ones I will visit, passport #s, medical insurance info, frequent flier #s, itinerary, reservation details, and suggestions of sites, restaurants, etc. that I've gleaned from my pre-trip web-surfing. I leave all this on my home computer for the house-sitter or anyone who cares, and print (in tiny font) all the info to carry with me. I am usually with my family, so this can be a lot of info condensed into a few pages. I also lighten the load by ripping up my guidebooks and taking relevant pages in a ziploc bag. Painful, but I'm always glad I've done it.

For laundry, I like Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap. It works for hands and face as well as clothing and dishes. I made a travel clothesline out of the bungee cord they sell by the foot at big hardware stores. I love to look at the latest camping gadgets, and my most recent acquisition is a coffee press pot made of lexan. I got one of those electric coil heaters at a garage sale, and I can make my own coffee. My favorite travel towel is microfiber by Aquis - they are so compact but really absorbent. I always travel with a travel pillow, eye shade and earplugs. My favorite purses for travel are by Bagallii - great for the hyper-organized.

You can get more great tips for packing light at www.ricksteves.com - go to the grafitti wall, and to the regular lists they provide.
Old Feb 21, 07, 8:22 pm

We have french press coffee mugs that we got at Starbucks some years ago. Works great, especially internationally, since you only need is coffee and hot water. Also great on cruises.

For laundry, a few tablets work great, and there's no mess.

Great thread folks, thanks. No matter how much you've traveled, you can always think of something new.

PS. What to leave at home: anything to do with Rick Steeves. Barf.

Last edited by jtkauai; Feb 21, 07 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 22, 07, 4:43 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
My $7 U-shaped inflatable pillow is a must. You gotta love that on any flight. Some people may say you look like a tool wearing it but they aren't the ones who leave the long flight with a sore neck!
Old Feb 22, 07, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by greenlotus View Post
... but they aren't the ones who leave the long flight with a sore neck!
Please elaborate. Never had a sore neck, even on long haul (did get sore when I did a IAH-HNL-GUM-MNL-CEB-MNL-GUM-HNL-IAH with only a three day stay in CEB). I wouldn't mind looking ridiculous if it were comfortable, but I've read it does not work

Please advise.

EmailKid

Search this Thread