Favorite budget travel items?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hotels.com
Type and save your customized packing list

Not something to take with you but makes packing much easier. I started with a packing list from the internet, copied it, made changes and saved it on the computer.

With your own list you can be a specific, and include items that might only be on your list. I also have a pre trip list (stop the newspaper and mail, etc.) and a "out the door" list (turn down heat, etc).

Don't take lots of stuff with you, but don't forget what you really need.

Last edited by Bogey90; Jun 19, 2006 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:11 am

Budget Travel

Originally Posted by grbflyer
Im a big fan of travel magazines, books, guide books, gadgets etc. I subscribe to budget travel, and like the lets go series. anyone else? am i missing out on a little know magazine or book?
Well you can pruchase online really good guide books on www.lonelyplanet.com
Also you my read there tips also. On www.virtualtourist.com you may also find good savvy tips. And there is a good website http://www.infohub.com/scripts/quiz_cgi/index.php not sure if you can purchase a travel book online but u may check it there, but their section Savvy Traveller Quiz is indeed awesome. there are tones of usefull savvy tips on how to travel all around the world on budget

take care
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rwk32882
Yep. It works miracles but there's really no need to travel with a big roll. I like to wind some up on my Nalgene water bottle. A few feet of it around the bottle and it barely increases the diameter of the bottle. Just be careful when you wind it on...don't touch the adhesive or it won't work as well when you need it!
What I actually did was flatten an empty toilet paper roll out then wrap the duct tape around it. Instant travel sized duct tape. No need to buy the grossly overpriced stuff that's rolled up into "travel sized" packages. Also this way you can pick the quality of duct tape you want to bring, consumer grade vs. industrial strength, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
What I actually did was flatten an empty toilet paper roll out then wrap the duct tape around it. Instant travel sized duct tape. No need to buy the grossly overpriced stuff that's rolled up into "travel sized" packages. Also this way you can pick the quality of duct tape you want to bring, consumer grade vs. industrial strength, etc.
Also works well to wrap it around a pencil.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:26 pm

A small bottle of hand sanitizer (like Purell). Use it frequently and especially before eating anything.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: QF Bronze, DJ Velocity
If you're located in Australia I just bought these and Highly recommend them

6 In 1 Camping Set - $49.95

Head Lamp/Torch/Light - $1.95
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
fantastic thread!

I love the ideas for making your own little supply of duct tape and using squares of plastic bags to keep bottles from leaking.

You folks are really good!
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Simple phrase book if you are going to a place where they speak another language other than your own is always handy. I prefer them very small then it is not cumbersome when you need to get directions in a hurry. (like where is the bathroom?)
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS, AA, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX
I can't stand having to carry all those darn "membership cards" that FTs have, so I generally only carry the ones I really need for that particular trip and just travel with a list that has all the others on it in case I need one. Gotta love the ability to use a small font and keep it as small as possible. After this current bout of laziness, I'll probably step it up a notch and laminate it, that way it will last longer.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:06 am

Duct tape

I've always used a lighter to wrap duct tape around. Of course these days you'd have to use an empty one.

I put duct tape on my sneakers when they start to fall apart.
Since my baby left me I'm wearing duct tape on my heart.
{From "Duct Tape Blues"}
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:10 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Karaokemonk
I've always used a lighter to wrap duct tape around. Of course these days you'd have to use an empty one.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Karaokemonk.

Please see my sig line

EmailKid
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lanjo
A small bottle of hand sanitizer (like Purell). Use it frequently and especially before eating anything.
FYI, These are being freely given away at many, many AA ticket counters. It's the Germ-X brand, small travel size, and it comes in a TSA-Friendly zip-loc bag too! Bonus baggie!

The TSAs do not like them...a lot of people throw the baggie as-is into their carry on, and then it's a 2nd bag that now violates the 1-baggie rule. And/or, they stuff the GermX into their already overflowing 1-baggie, and stuff keeps falling out, and it's a hassle to check. So far, I've found most AA ticket counter agents glad to part w/ several at once---so stock up!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: DLDmd1M, Marriott LTPlt, Hilton Dmd, Hyatt Dmd & too many others to be paying taxes in my hometown
The large super mega jumbo sized plastic bags have come in very handy--from laundry hamper to 'carry-on' bag. During a trip, the zipper on my duffle bag gave way (fell off actually). I didn't have time to buy a new one so I put my stuff inside the jumbo baggie and then put that inside the duffle shell for easier carrying. All my belongings made it home without worry of them spilling out all over the airport/airplane.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:11 am

Programs: Miles and more
MP3 city audioguides - free

A growing number of websites offers free mp3 city audio guides, just search google for audioguide, audio guide, mp3 city tour followed by the name of the city.

A good overview (20 cities) is on www.iAudioguide.com
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:45 pm

My Favorite budget travel item?

During the times I travelled absolutely on a shoestring, I always had a smalltea cooker with me (I don't know what's the appropriate English word, it looks like this). It's working with electricity and you find it it most hotel rooms anyway.

The reason: You can save a lot on food by buying instant meals (like this) without having to waive a hot meal ^

Nowadays I prefer tasting the local food (not everywhere though )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.