Favorite budget travel items?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EmailKid
Best items to have for Budget Traveler:

Unlocked SmartPhone with local Sim card with data (not all countries have addresses posted)

Extension cord with multiple outlets (some budget hotels have exactly ONE electrical outlet)

Free local maps that you might pick up at tourist information places (the more the better - different versions seem to list different streets depending on what printer considers important)

USB battery pack for when you are lost and mobile is running low on juice and you need Google maps
Print Wikipost

Favorite budget travel items?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:51 pm

I've never been backpacking before and am contemplating a trip this summer to Europe. The packing lists mentioned are definitely going in my "email to self" notes.

Thanks for the great tips.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:31 pm

Ideas..

Pack shampoo/lotion, etc. in ziploc- had mine leak all over my clothes. Good thing it was on my return trip home (to be fair, it was my first flight ever!)

About the padlocks- the last few times I've traveled, the TSA has broken the padlocks on my bags to search them, a waste of my money... anyone else had this happen?
so maybe not padlock them until you get off the plane at your destination?

I always take a mini sewing kit and a couple buttons. A tube of superglue is handy, and ditto with the duct tape.

Also- I try to coordinate all my clothes so they all are wearable with each other to make the most outfits possible (obviously a female trait!), so I pack less. However, in places like France, where people wear the same outfit 3 times in a row, without washing it, this isn't really a big deal (they think YOU're wierd)...

If you will be walking alot with your bags, to/from train stations, hotels,etc, fill 'em with 30 lbs of books and hike up and down some stairs to see what it is like, so you don't overpack.

Last edited by reckless31abandon; Feb 8, 2006 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by reckless31abandon
About the padlocks- the last few times I've traveled, the TSA has broken the padlocks on my bags to search them, a waste of my money...
Well, they are entitled to do that, because they tell you up front that they have the right to search your luggage. Something to do with Homeland Insecurity

I think the padlock idea was to lock a locker in a hostel that provides same, such as HI Seattle (a pretty decent place BTW).

And of course they can't break the locks on my luggage, because 95% of the time I don't check luggage. Just LOVE being the first one to reach Customs. Well in smaller places like Central America anyways .... seems like larger places like NRT or BKK have BIG planes landing all the time, so the line never stops

Oh, and welcome to FT reckless31abandon. I see you submitted both of your maiden posts here ^ A great place to hang your hat. My second favorite forum is MR (Mileage Run).

EmailKid

Last edited by EmailKid; Feb 8, 2006 at 6:10 pm Reason: to welcome [b]eckless31abandon[/b]
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, QF, SQ
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Lighters are on the prohibited list - but for the most part, only in the US. I usually pack mine in my toiletry kit - if its a simple bic lighter, you can usually walk through security with it in your pocket & it won't set off the metal detector. Of course, if you do that, you can't be a dick to the TSA folks since they'll secondary you. I've never had a lighter pulled from a checked bag.
Lighters are prohibited in checked luggage everywhere. I'm surprised you've never had them pulled from your bags.

The OneBag site has some great tips - http://www.onebag.com/ and lists of what to take.

My pack is pretty much the same wherever I go. Safety pins, sewing needle and thread, blister tape, small medical kit (even in USA etc), ziploc, mini towel, fold up cup, mini cutlery set (with mini cheese board), bottle opener, compass, flashlight, all my clothes are cotton or made of quick dry non-crumple travel fabric, layers layers layers, hat for sunny days, kleenex for nose and toilet and saving hawker seats, umbrella, moisturiser, nasal saline spray, etc

Also, I prefer the mini pocket street directory for places like paris where the tourist books miss all the little streets. Cities with grids this is not such an issue.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:31 pm

I always bring a few clothes pins. They come in handy to shut the curtains in hotel rooms and also to close the packets of snack food I have with me so I don't have to purchase food at airports or train stations at exhorbitant prices.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:18 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by lavedder
I always bring a few clothes pins. They come in handy to shut the curtains in hotel rooms and also to close the packets of snack food I have with me so I don't have to purchase food at airports or train stations at exhorbitant prices.
5 or 6 ziploc bags in a few sizes plus a couple of kitchen size white garbage bags.

A big bag of trail mix

A fold up carry on or back pack to throw my laundry in. Keeps the remaining clean clothes fresher

A microfibre quick dry towel
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:35 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I second the lighter. Does anyone remember the movie Spy Game, "Always carry a lighter and cigarettes..." It can be a great ice breaker, and I know a few people who have gotten out of a sticky situation by having an extra pack of cigarettes.

Definitely a journal. It is great to help keep track of everything.

Great list!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:03 pm

Our family likes to stay in condos when we go to Hawaii. We always pack a soft-sided cooler (6-can size) plus a blue ice pouch. The cooler can be flattened in the suitcase so it takes up very little space, and when we arrive we put the blue ice in the freezer of our condo. Every time we go to a beach/pool, we have cool drinks and snacks to take with us. No need to leave the beach or buy overpriced snack bar items.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:32 am

LED shake flashlight, couple packs of wetones and face wipes, gum, chapstick, ziplock bags, small drawing pad, toiletries of course, camera in a pelican case and HDD photo vault in another one, granola bars and a handful of those little liquor bottles. Sewing kit, small first aid kit, small mirror, and rubber bands. Also a pair of boxers and some sox, a magazine, flip flops, some pens and a light cycling jacket. That's pretty much my standard backpack as a carryon set up these days. Alot of stuff, nothing unique, but they are small things that don't weigh much, and it pretty much covers my necessities should my luggage get lost. Something else that never fails to come in handy is a wide roll of 3m durapore. The best tape ever.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by escog
Used paperback books. I can usually get them half-off or better. I like to take a mix of classics and mind candy. I take a bunch, and when I'm done reading them, I leave them behind in hostels or trade them. I once had a bunch I was going to dump when I was in Puerto Natales, Chile and found a shop that was buying english-language books for more than half the cover price. I actually made money on the books.
What a great tip. I'm totally going to do this from now on. I never reread paperbacks so this is an effective way to prevent the clutter of books I keep accumulating.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by msfi
The OneBag site has some great tips - http://www.onebag.com/ and lists of what to take.
Just ignore the $225 carryon that he recommends.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Rampo
Just ignore the $225 carryon that he recommends.
Well, this is the Budget Travel Forum, so I doubt too many BT travelers will be buying that one

Of course you never know, and sometimes what may seem expensive to one person another one may perceive as good value for the money.

I'm still using a backpack / carryon that I purchased at a garage sale 15 years ago

EmailKid
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I now travel

with "sample size liquid detergent". Saves me from vacuming the inside of my luggage for the powedered kind....don't ask.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:40 pm

A great item to have is sticky velcro on a strip. You can get precut patches or cut your own to fit. It doesn't replace needle and thread, but makes terrific heavy-duty closures, etc.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Large square of dark fabric. Can use as a place setting, blindfold for sleeping, a way to fold clothes tightly, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.