Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite cheap eats in YOUR hometown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite cheap eats in YOUR hometown?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
It is on Van Ness and Geary.

Originally Posted by orurlife
Hey, I dunno if it counts as a hole in the wall since it's pretty hectic here, but I like Beanstreet Coffee in Asheville, NC. They serve breakfast all day, which includes the biscuits and gravy we Southerners love to fill folks up with. As much as I can say that Asheville is my hometown, you can often find me here sometime during the weekends.

Hey, party boy, is Tommy's Joynt in SF still as good as I remember? Its been years since I've been there.
The food is still excellent. I went there 2 weeks ago for a quick dinner.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
In/around DFW

Burgers - Kincaids (original location in Fort Worth on Camp Bowie, new location in Southlake has replicated the kitschy charm of the original)

Hot Dogs (among other things) - Angry Dog (Deep Ellum)

Mexican - seriously, take your pick but my favorites are Fiesta (Fort Worth on Hemphill Avenue), Esparzas (Grapevine), Sols Taco Lounge (Deep Ellum), Monicas Aca y Alla (Deep Ellum)

I'll continue musing on my other favorites... so much good casual food around Dallas/Fort Worth!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Going to be in Austin next week

any good food there?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I agree with you on those around CWA. I would add BackWhen (service erradic), but the food is good. Also, Mandarin is halfway decent for Chinese. If you want a good fish fry (a local tradition on Fridays) I'd goto the Hiawatha. Cheers!

Originally Posted by IrishRed
In case any of you weary travellers find yourself at CWA/Wausau Wisconsin, I can suggest:

Hereford and Hops: Grill your own steak joint, reasonable prices, excellent cuts, and right next to the Courtyard by Marriott and Hampton.

Sawandee Thai: Good considering it's 'da Northwoods.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
In Madison Wisconsin

Some favorites are GreenBush Bar (Madison is smoke free) so its nice with excellent Italian cuisine feature thin Neapolitan style pizza while not on the order of Lombardi's in NYC it is still pretty good. The vegetarian appetizer platter is a great deal with pesto, mozzerrella, tomaotes, artichokes, olive tapenade, and peasent bread for under $10.00. Casa Bianca also known around here as Casa B's is a cheap thin crust joint cheap and good. For Chinese Beijing on Midvale is very good as is the Far East Asia Buffet (I know a buffet that is good) but its true. Also Shish Cafe on University has excellent middle eastern cuisine.

If you are in town feel free to PM me, and I'll try to point you in the right direction.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by techgirl
... my favorites are Fiesta (Fort Worth on Hemphill Avenue) ....
Remember it well

EmailKid
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RTR
Trong Khanh on Centre Street NE - fresh, decent Vietnamese food. Always satisfying.
Speaking of Calgary and Center Street NE, I recall the excellent burgers on 16th (Trans Canada Highway) between Center and 4th, but can't recall the name right now.

It's been a long time since I visited Cowtown, and even longer since I lived there.

EmailKid
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:09 am

Milwaukee, Wisconsin cheap eats

Tres Hermanos - Excellent Mexican food - try the whole fried fish - awesome!
12th & National Ave.

Abu's Jerusalem of the Gold - Middle Eastern and Vegetarian foods
Farwell Ave. south of North Ave.

Bombay Sweets - Indian food - super cheap - very good food. S. 13th St.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by medic
In Chandler, AZ

Oregnos - good non-chain pizza
I would consider 7 locations, a chain.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Phoenix Mexican food

Carolina's, original location on 12th St and Mohave and new location Cave Creek and Thunderbird are both very good. The original location looks like a hole in the wall. When you go at lunch, the line may stretch out of the building. I've even seen high city officicals eating there. Closes fairly early 7:30 or 8:00pm.

Good combo meals for $4-$5. Famous for their flour tortillas. Get a cheese tortilla, green burro, or a green machaca burro. All really good. Almost impossible to spend more than $10 here.

Garcias - Original location only. 35th avenue and Osborn. Not to be confused with the spin off chain that the family sold 20 or more years ago. Go to the take out building, and get a huge portion for $6 or so. Nice fried ice cream as well.

They'll even let you substitute stuff on their combos. My favorite, a #9, with an extra taco instead of the bean tostada. $6 or $6.50 now. Get a big bowl of eat in chips for 50 cents.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:03 am

Programs: PC Gold
Los Angeles

Other than Tommy's and In-N-Out~ I think Pink's a cool place to go~ but try to avoid during the weekends~ line is simply too long~ too many tourists
www.pinkshollywood.com
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by emailkid
Remember it well
Oh my yes. Would someone please mail me some of their tortillas?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cmccool
USC students survive on Tommy's; at least I did. No better LA experience than Tommy's after a night Dodger game. Many locations but Beverly & Rampart is the must stop.

http://www.originaltommys.com/
So... hungry... right... now...

Perhaps I'll stop by after we crush the dirty bruins tomorrow

cmccool, how about Chanos??? Or the Pantry? Or Philippes? Or those bacon-dogs from those random carts outside the Coliseum?!

I agree with Pinks ^^. And I think Roscoe's is great (chix + waffles are a must)... but not cheap.

Porto's Bakery in Glendale... Cuban sandwiches, croquettas, potato balls, dessert stuff... mmm....

And finally, some great cheap eats can be had at McCormick & Schmick's happy hour... $1.95 half-pound cheeseburger + fat fries! Along with varying items like buffalo wings, potstickers, quesadilla (fried calamari got moved to the $5 menu ) Locations everywhere, but my favorite is in Downtown LA in the Library Tower.

Ok... now I'm starving!!!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emailkid
Speaking of Calgary and Center Street NE, I recall the excellent burgers on 16th (Trans Canada Highway) between Center and 4th, but can't recall the name right now.

It's been a long time since I visited Cowtown, and even longer since I lived there.

EmailKid
Are you thinking of Pete's? Good but a bit pricey.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:30 am
Suspended

In Toronto there are multiple choices.

My favourite is the New York Restaurant at Broadview and Danforth - quasi Greek with really cheap breakfast ($3.75 before 11 a.m.) and a single pizza for $7 that is so large it is 2 meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.