Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite cheap eats in YOUR hometown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite cheap eats in YOUR hometown?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Talking Fine, if you want more Toronto ...

OK, if you want ethnic food, then “Bryndzové halušky” (see menu for description) at Prague Restaurant is truly excellent.

Granted, I believe it's actually in Scarboro, but well worth the drive.

EmailKid
Old May 15, 2006, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Durham, NC

Cosmic Cantina on Perry St. near Ninth St. $3 chicken quesadillas and huge $5 burritos ... so amazing. Locations also in Chapel Hill and New York (to follow the Dukies who get addicted! ). Still love to sit out on their porch with a burrito and a beer and a big nasty bottle of whatever hot sauce they have.

Banh's on Ninth St. ... great Vietnamese food on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and Chinese every day. $4.95 vegetarian special is my favorite ... great tofu, sticky rice, and spring rolls!

I'll post more if I remember notable ones.
Old May 22, 2006, 12:21 pm

Orange County Eats!!!!

Huntington Beach - Fred's Mexican Cantina is GREAT!!!!!! One Pound Burritos under $5!!!!!!

Irvine - Javiers Cantina also Wonderful!!!! A real taste of living in the OC!!!
Old May 23, 2006, 6:43 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by emailkid
OK, if you want ethnic food, then “Bryndzové halušky” (see menu for description) at Prague Restaurant is truly excellent.

Granted, I believe it's actually in Scarboro, but well worth the drive.

EmailKid
Oh my goodness, my mouth is actually watering. I'll be making that drive east on 401 very soon! Thanks for the tip EmailKid.
/RTR
Old May 24, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by jmd001
Not my hometown, but I was in Vegas last week and spotted

Filipino's Mexican Drive Thru

on the south side of Tropicana slightly east of Maryland Parkway (very close to LAS).

I look forward to trying it, but it will be easier for people to find by it's more familiar name: Felipito's Mexican Drive Thru
Old May 24, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
I look forward to trying it, but it will be easier for people to find by it's more familiar name: Felipito's Mexican Drive Thru
Oops! Told you LAS was not my actual hometown! (Spelling now corrected in my original reply.)
Old May 24, 2006, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Wink I was wondering about that name .....

Originally Posted by jmd001
Oops! Told you LAS was not my actual hometown! (Spelling now corrected in my original reply.)
None of my postings were for my home town either

As long as the food is good.

Now to change and post my favorite restaurant in my home sandbar of GLS, just off the coast of Texas (sadly no scheduled service, and equally sadly no more service out of EFD, but that's another story or two - or three, just search CO board).

The Original Mexican Cafe on 14th and Market. Excellent "huevos rancheros," though most of the good is very good. Just so happens I love to eat breakfast on weekends. A plethora of other good Tex-Mex restaurants in town, as well as excellent seafood. Why else would they drive in busloads of Houstonians just to eat at Casey's

And to RTR, let's have a trip report

EmailKid
Old May 27, 2006, 3:52 am

In Copenhagen theres a little asian diner (mata hari) inside the ground floor of the building called scala, in central CPH opposite the main entrance to tivoli.
They serve asian foods, and its very tasty, and inexpensive.
Old May 27, 2006, 4:04 am

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
"The Toasted Bun" Glendale, CA <10 miles from BUR
Huge breakfast for $4.95, "The Brite Spot" in Echo Park is good too

"Tere's" Hollywood, CA <25 miles from BUR or LAX
I think this place was voted best mexican in LA at one point. Great burritos from about $5.50.

"Snook's Bar-b-q" Advance, NC <50 miles from GSO
Great North Carolina Barbeque (and other stuff) in a very "country" setting.
Ahhhh, memories...

"In-a-Tub" North Kansas City, MO <15 miles from MCI (depends on location)
If you like fried food, this place has it all, and for cheap and good. They are famous for their tacos that are deep fried. Order with cheese and they put a slice of cheese under the beef in addition to the powdered cheese on top!
More memories...
Old May 29, 2006, 12:36 pm

Houston & Fort Worth

Houston

Timmy Chan's! There are a few of them around, but none beats the original on 610 and Homestead. Greasy chinese / soul food at its very finest, my friends.

Fort Worth

Zekes on Camp Bowie - fish & chip type restaurant with huge portions and an outside sitting area in the back.

Vietnamese / thai - any of them along Belknap; Pho Nam, Phu Lam.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:50 pm

YYC: Stampede breakfasts, various locations downtown, from July 7-16
Cost: free!
Old May 30, 2006, 10:24 am

Weirs Beach, NH on the Laconia/Gilford line:

The Lakeside Restaurant has burger plates for under $5.00 and they are awesome!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:17 pm

It's 10PM over here but this thread is making me HUNGRY!

I'm Vietnamese, and I'm quite surprised/impressed at the number of Vietnamese restaurants that have made this list nationwide. I live in Orange County, home of more Vietnamese than probably the actual country itself, so while the cuisine is commonplace here, I didn't think there were so many restaurants outside of CA.

So I'll begin my list with a Vietnamese one as well:

California - Lee's Sandwiches - it's a chain throughout northern/southern CA, and I don't necessarily think it carries the best vietnamese sandwiches, but it is very American-friendly and easy to navigate, unlike most other places out here. A full meal can be done for under $3!

Westwood, CA - Diddy Reese - ice cream sandwiches, complete with your choice of cookies (6 or so different choices, you can mix and match) and Dreyer's ice cream flavors (10 varieties) for $1.50! It's next to UCLA so you may have to wait in line but they are a cheap treat.

Arlington, VA - El Pollo Rico - I believe that is the name of it; a very popular chicken joint - I want to say chicken and two sides are under $8.

Baltimore, MD - Bruce Lee Wings - so salty and yummy! Located in the Cross Street Market. I fly out to MD every year just to have a fill!

My ultimate favorite restaurant is Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ in Fountain Valley, CA. I can seriously eat there 7 nights a week. All you can eat mongolian bbq for under $10.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Thumbs up SJC - South Bay

In the south-bay area, I love the < $5 Spicy Chicken Wrap (w/ Potato Salad and Mint Chutney) at Tandoori Cafe (Formerly Chaat Cafe) at Lawrence/I-280/Stevens Creek. It's very filling!

Their Seekh kababs are terrific too. Tuesdays $2 off dinner combos.

I know this isn't a chain discussion (and would like to keep it this way)-but my other perennial fav is Schlotzsky's Deli and Quizno's(of course, both are $5-$10)

Yummy!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: NWA Silver
Any Twin Cities area White Castle. However, I can tell you from experience, don't eat it b4 a flight. White Castle needs some time to, let's say, navigate its way through your system... and it will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.