Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

What meals do you take onboard LCC flights?

Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Or, what else do you do to improve the experience?

Just because I'm flying cheaply, doesn't mean I can't have a proper flying experience. A two hour + flight just doesn't feel right unless I have a meal. In the absence of attentive FAs, I'll pamper myself, thank you. I was wondering if other people prepare their own meals or pre-plan indulgences in anyway.

As I work nearby, I try and get a 3.50 bento box from the Sushi-so next to Moorgate station before getting the Stansted Express from Liverpool Street and it's better than most of the meals I've ever had in Short Haul Business (not that many, but enough to know that they're generally not that great). Thing is as more and more European airlines are cutting away their perks and services, I'm actually starting to prefer the self sufficiency of the LCC flights.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 5:41 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I never pre-plan a picnic. I've flown with are Jet* and Virgin Blue in Australia but as the flights were only an hour long or so I didn't bother bringing my own food onboard or even buy any snacks. The only other time was on Virgin Express from BRU-FCO which was just under 2 hours long and I bought a sandwich only because the price was reasonable and I didn't have anything to eat on a previous 2.5hr journey.

Even with flights under 3 hours I don't need any food. I just make sure I'm well fed before I fly and bring my own drinks and maybe a chocolate to munch on.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
I'm not bothered about needing something to eat on a short LCC flight unless the flight coincides with my meal time. If I'm not able to bring a sandwich from home I usually grab one in Boots or M&S.

Having something to eat on a flight can nicely break up the boredom, so if I'm not too hungry save it to eat on the plane rather than at the airport.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Not truly a LCC but "almost": Alitalia has the worst possible meals on its TLV flights. I always brown bag it.

I pick up a chopped liver on bagel sandwich a few hours before leaving and some small chocolate dessert to go with it. I get my drinks from the FA and for about $8 I wind up eating better in Y than anybody does in FC.

Last edited by Dovster; Sep 6, 2005 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:23 am

I bought a sushi box from Pret a Manger at STN the other day - was going to eat it on my Ryanair flight but it looked so nice I scoffed it all at the gate!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I usually fly mainline AC here in the states because they're really not much cheaper than LLC's here because of the competition.

If I know i'm not getting a meal, I just eat beforehand (or afterwards) and usually don't take anything on the plane unless I'm in a hurry.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
99% of the time other arilines are cheaper than LCCs on the 10 or so routes I frequent. I know because I do check their websites too for comparison - most always to be disapointed. The key is understaning how to get the discounts from the majors...
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:14 pm

I usually grab a bite to eat at the airport. I buy something tasty and healthy - if I can find it.

Here's a report that suggests some healthy food options at the 12 busiest airports in the US.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I normally eat before boarding, but if I do want to bring something, I normally just snap up a few things at the airport. As I'm flying mostly ex-DUB at the moment the options aren't that exciting
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:21 am

Leaving from our hub airport Montreal Canada, seems to add on airport/ flight/ transit time to our travels, because we always need to go thru another airport to get to our final destination. So, I always bring a lunch and snacks.

I can't eat alot at one time, so I tend to pick at my food along the way. I usually bring for hubby and I, sealed mini carrots bag, 1 small tub of philly dip, small individually wrapped assorted cheese packets, individually wrapped melba toast packets, assorted nuts in ziplock, and homemade gourmet deli wraps, or for variation I use flavored bagles or kaiser rolls, or any other type of filling bread I fancy. I usually bring a small bottle of red wine for each of us to accompany our meal.

As for the snacks its usually more for hubby's sweet tooth, granola bars, stuffed dates, homemade healthy cookies and muffins.

I am not a big fan of pre-made foods, as I watch my health closely, so I tend to cook more than the usual housewife. But anyone could adapt the above with similar store bought items.

I would love to bring much more different foods but we need to watch what we take across the border, so this limits our airplane meals.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:52 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Power Bars, Trail Mix bags, something that won't melt but will still be kinda' healthy.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I either grab a bite at the airport before boarding or else bring a nice sandwich to eat on board when they serve the drinks. If I am flying home from RSW (which has limited food choices at present) I nearly always make a stop at Publix on the way to the airport to pick up a hero for the plane.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:59 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Smelly Tofu, Durian, Garlic Bread....

OR CURRY. J/P. I try to bring a wrap or something non smelly.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Gotta say that when faced with Buy on Board, I will try and throw a couple of spam musubi in my carryon. They travel quite well.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Flying out of Boston on any carrier, look for a Summershack and treat yourself to a lobster roll. Tastes even better onboard than at the restaurant ^
http://www.summershackrestaurant.com...an_Airport.asp

Last edited by obscure2k; Sep 13, 2005 at 6:56 pm Reason: link to Summershack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.