Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I've mentioned my experiences on sleeping in airports before when it's come up; I love that there's a forum for the cheapest among us now

The only problem I have with sleepinginairports.net is that many of the stories are a) far out of date and b) from people who aren't prepared to do it (i.e. were stranded or missed their flights). I think that most of the people here are going into it with eyes open (har de har) and planning to crash out at the terminal from the beginning. That makes our criteria and likely experience different than the stories posted, and even a "skull and crossbones" review on that site may not have anything to do with reality for us.

A sleeping bag if possible, or sweatshirt and comfortable pants, are definitely keys. Then, the clothes in the bag as a pillow, dark sunglasses or eyeshades, and an arm looped through the strap of whatever other stuff you might have, and you're good to go. You can get a summer-weight sleeping bag which weighs under a pound and will keep you warm to about 50 degrees--it's small enough to fit in any bag.

What's people's limit on time where a hotel becomes not worth it? For me, I think if I'm going to end up with under 5 hours of sleep/paying more than $15 an hour for the privilege, I'll take a pass and sack out for free.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
At Amsterdam you can go to the relax area between the two KLM lounged upstairs between pier E \and G. I have seen many people spend a full night there and then find the public showers which after 15 years I have never managed to find
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K , AK, DL, TG
I have had great sleeps in DXB & ICN. For a time I carried a short thermarest sleeping pad for shut eye on the landings in NRT. There are an amazing number of nooks and crannies in airports.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
This is my friends and me this past spring sleeping in Stansted Airport overnight before flying out to Cologne on Germanwings:

http://www.bluescrib.com/images/stansted.jpg
Old Sep 17, 2005, 2:04 pm
mid

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Logan Airport....

I will be making about 14 overnight trips to Cambridge this coming fall and winter. Since the hotels at the airport and in Cambridge are going for about $200-$300 per night, I've decided to just hang out for the 6 hours until my flight leaves in the morning.

I've considered hanging out at Logan since they have wireless internet there as well as an all-night Dunkin Donuts but I can't confirm how this plan will work.

I'd be intererested in hearing about other's experiences.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
If you watch The Amazing Race, they sleep successfully in a lot of airports.

I've slept in HKG and BWI. At HKG, on the very end on the Cathay side of the check-in level, there are overstuffed chairs surrounding a TV that stays on all night. If you have ear plugs to block out the TV, that's the best place. Second best are the rows of chairs near there, but they're hard and you have to curl around/over some armrests. By the time we got there, all the big chairs were full... that was me, curling around an armrest.

At BWI, there were these rows of big red ottomans in a lounge area in the hallway that runs behind the check-in counters, before security. However, there was lots of vacuuming, and CNN on a TV that couldn't be turned down. And with all the remodeling at BWI, that lounge might be no more.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Been there, done that at MDW...

They wouldn't let me stay in the secured area, so I ended up sacking out on a padded (and armless!) bench in bag claim. Was a little nuts, what with all the "UNATTENDED BAGS WILL BE CONFISCATED" and "THE TERMINAL AREA IS CLOSED FROM MIDNIGHT TO 5 AM" announcements blaring on the loudspeakers

But I did feel safe, as there were lots of TSA and police officers wandering around.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: UA, AA
Just had a very good night's sleep at DEN. Concourse B Mezzanine level (level 3). Slept underneath a desk at the QWest Business Center. This blocked out most light. And the 3rd floor seems to be sheltered from most noise in the terminal including the speakers that give security announcements about every 8 minutes (all night). So generally pretty quiet and even a little dark. Wasn't bothered all night fully outstreched in my sleeping bag with one arm through my backpack (that was otherwise locked anyway). Also a very clean airport and had the Mezzanine bathroom all to myself even as late as 8 AM. ^^
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:47 am

I'm a newbie who did her first MR last weekend. I was going to spend the night in the airport, but was able to get an airport hotel for $30 - took the shuttle to and from, and was extremely grateful to have a quiet place to hang out (and especially happy to shower!) Well worth the price.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by mid

I've considered hanging out at Logan since they have wireless internet there as well as an all-night Dunkin Donuts but I can't confirm how this plan will work.

I'd be intererested in hearing about other's experiences.
Logan's wireless internet is not free. That would, to me, be a definite drawback.

Better you meet somebody in Cambridge and use their place as a crash pad
Old Sep 24, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club/TG*Sliver
Woowwwww...You guys are so great!!!!! I don't know how did you guys do that? I've never slept in any airport before, especially fly between Australasia and North Asia. I normally just find a good flight time, well non stop flights are the best, however, sometime cheap airfares can take your money. I've done AKL-MEL-HKG in year2003, my flight arrived in MEL at 6:00pm and outbound flight to HKG at 11:00pm. It's not a big deal you would think, however, in MEL after my flight arrived from AKL there were no outbound flights until 11:00pm. Which means all shops are closed....... Only the loo was still open. I was the only the person in that departure gates area, I tired to get some sleep, but it didn't work, so was walking around between gates. I felt like I was in a jail with no one I can speak to..... it was really sad
Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Dovster
Please don't forget trains. If you are going to spend a month or so in Europe travelling from city to city get a Eurailpass and take l o n g trips between cities -- giving you a freebie night on the train.

European long distant trains have usualy seats you can pull out so the facing seats are touching each other, creating a huge bed.... sleeps easily three or cozyly 6... Done it many times, and it is very comfortable
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
The last airport I slept in was LAS... best place I found was in the American terminal off in the corner, behind the gate counter/podium.

But I've slept in such distinguished places as: ORY; on the grassy area in front of the Eiffel Tower; on the sidewalk in front of Barcelona's central train station; on a sidewalk in Pamplona; on the platform at Pamplona's train station. Amazing that I'm still alive, really
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:44 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Anyone know about the "accommodations" at ORF? The last review on sia was a few years ago. TIA
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:48 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Amazingly, I have only done this once, in TPE. There are some three-seat couches in one of the terminals. More than enough room to stretch out and get some shut eye. I was not the only one who discovered these, so several of us had a mini-hostel going at TPE that night.

Have also pulled a few all-nighters at GEG (2003 AS segment bonus promo). Thank God for my laptop and DVDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.