Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping Second (of two) legs of Greyhound trip and retreiving luggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Skipping Second (of two) legs of Greyhound trip and retreiving luggage

I'm asking this question for my daughter to be sure there are no potential issues. She booked a Greyhound trip from New Haven to scenic Newark Penn Station, connecting at Port Authority in NYC, with an hour and a half transfer. She now wants to just skip the second short trip from NYC to Newark completely, but changing the ticket is out since there are no more seats for sale from New Haven to NYC on the first bus. Any problems here? Even if she checks a bag on the first bus, they would give it to her at NYC, right?

[These questions may sound naive, but I only fly and of course doing something like this on airplane connections would be a bigger deal]. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
I'm asking this question for my daughter to be sure there are no potential issues. She booked a Greyhound trip from New Haven to scenic Newark Penn Station, connecting at Port Authority in NYC, with an hour and a half transfer. She now wants to just skip the second short trip from NYC to Newark completely, but changing the ticket is out since there are no more seats for sale from New Haven to NYC on the first bus. Any problems here? Even if she checks a bag on the first bus, they would give it to her at NYC, right?

[These questions may sound naive, but I only fly and of course doing something like this on airplane connections would be a bigger deal]. Thanks!
I'm no expert on Greyhound, but on my last non connecting trip, it seemed the driver did not care if everyone was on board, so skipping the second leg should not be a problem.

IMHO, she should be able to retrieve her luggage, though since I never check luggage, I don't have knowledge of that.

Oh, and in my role as forum moderator I took the liberty of updating the title to reflect that she is skipping second leg as skipping connection could imply more connections later.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars

From Greyhound's baggage page:

"If you're transferring from one bus to another, you need to collect your bags from the first bus and bring them to the next."

Note that things might be different if she were traveling on a single "through" bus from New Haven to Newark that made an intermediate stop in Manhattan.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Greyhound is the noodles ramen of transportation. Don't take anything for granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.