Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Any way to get cheaper flights GRU - LAX??

Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat (OWE), FB Silver (ST Elite), UA/*A Silver, HH GL, Bonvoy GL, Radisson GL, Amex Plat

Let me preface this by acknowledging that I'm looking for flights in peak season in a part of the world that isn't the greatest for long-haul LCC flights, but I'd still really appreciate any tips you may have.

I need to leave GRU on Jan 3 and get to LAX within about 72 hours (of course I'd prefer to do it in 12 hours given the same price). I see a few options:

1. There's a nonstop AA flight that costs over $2k ($1.9k if I add a throw-away leg from LAX to SAN), which is way too expensive for me but I get that AA has a monopoly on nonstop.
2. The cheapest options (that don't involve overnights which would drive up the price further) still cost over $1k (mainly through BOG), which to me sounds crazy for one-way. Most of my flying is TPAC or Asia-Europe and I almost always spend under $1k r/t even in peak season, although I understand this is a different market.
3. If #2 really is the cheapest, it costs about the same to book 2 separate one-ways from GRU to Europe and then from Europe to LAX, which I'd rather do that #2 because I can at least add another city to my trip for the price, but really not ideal.

I've checked kiwi.com (which in other cases has found great fares), Google Flights, and TripAdvisor flights (which surprisingly found me the lowest fare of any of them through Priceline, but still over $1k), as well as a bunch of other websites for cheap flights I found in other FT threads. Also checked for OW award availability through BA but didn't find any, although that isn't surprising given the dates.

Is over $1k really the lowest I'll be able to find for one-way Y flights?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
I just looked at a couple of consolidators (unpublished fares) for you--no luck--everything is pricing out over @1k. January 4 is bad too. Sorry!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat (OWE), FB Silver (ST Elite), UA/*A Silver, HH GL, Bonvoy GL, Radisson GL, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gretchendz
I just looked at a couple of consolidators (unpublished fares) for you--no luck--everything is pricing out over @1k. January 4 is bad too. Sorry!
Thanks for checking!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.